Phono stage problem

moffer

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Enjoying a bit of Joy Division this afternoon when my Rothwell Simplex phono stage suddenly stopped working...no LED, nothing!  I don't have a clue about electrics or getting stuff fixed, I suppose it could be the PSU but I don't have another 24v output unit to try. Is there any other way a simpleton like myself can tell if the fault lies with the PSU or with the phono stage? If not then I'm thinking that it might be best to order a new PSU off Rothwell to try first, if that's not the problem I can then send the Simplex off to Rothwell for repair, providing they do repairs that is.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Oh, not sure if this is anything to go by, but should add that I'm pretty sure there was a change with the sound of my system before the Simplex stopped working. It seemed to sound thinner and brighter than normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have a multimeter, you could measure what's coming out of the power supply. That would be the simplest way.

If you don't have a multimeter, you can buy one good enough for this purpose for around £10.

You can also check any fuses in the plug or in the PSU itself.

S.

wino2020

Have to try this!
Wammer
Jan 18, 2014
Dundee
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And of course you could PM Rothwell Audio on here and get advice from the horse's mouth🙂

moffer

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And of course you could PM Rothwell Audio on here and get advice from the horse's mouth🙂
I decided to screw my thinking head on and have already emailed Rothwell Audio. I didn't know they were on here so got in touch via their website.

Thanks for replying

If you have a multimeter, you could measure what's coming out of the power supply. That would be the simplest way.

If you don't have a multimeter, you can buy one good enough for this purpose for around £10.

You can also check any fuses in the plug or in the PSU itself.

S.
Thanks Serge,  I'll see what Rothwell have to say first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online