torikoos

Wammer
Sep 10, 2016
Kingsteignton, Devon
AKA
Koos Fockens
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I decided to upgrade some of my interconnects. I do believe that getting a decent pair of interconnects to replace the skinny ones often found with hifi components makes a difference. 

Of course everything needs to be in balance. a pair of 200GBP interconnects attached to a 199GBP AV receiver is nuts in my view. So I went for a pair of QED Graphite interconnects between my CD player and my Arcam A85.  They are an improvement over a set of ancient 'Audio Selection' cables I had been using. However on the box it says there's arrows on the cable and to connect it in a certain direction for best results.  That is something I've never heard of before, and I doubt it would make a difference in my case, but maybe I should try it.

I just don't get the theory behind this. Of course if there is a difference in the plugs on one end compared to the other , maybe it has influence on the capacitance / impedance of the cable, but on a 0.6m run, and on a cable that appears identical at both ends?  I'm a bit skeptical.  Thoughts ?

IMG_3992.JPG

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to Wigwam.  A quick search of the Site will show you that there has been masses of debate about the whole cable thing and indeed strongly held views as to whether changing wires let alone the directionality (is tat a word??!!) can make any impact on the sound.  I'd simply say this if the manufacturer of the cable points the arrow in a certain direction why not follow it.

Enjoy your music.

Regards,

Lindsay

• Upvote
Reactions: torikoos

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On some cables the arrow points to the source component, not the destination component.
Strange but true. :)

Some cables are earthed only at one end, maybe that can make a difference with directionality?

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to Wigwam.  A quick search of the Site will show you that there has been masses of debate about the whole cable thing and indeed strongly held views as to whether changing wires let alone the directionality (is tat a word??!!) can make any impact on the sound.  I'd simply say this if the manufacturer of the cable points the arrow in a certain direction why not follow it.

Enjoy your music.

Regards,

Lindsay
I would agree with Lindsay.

I personally  think cable direction has no influence on sound, but as electrical energy goes in a direction to a component why not put the arrow the right way and stick with it.

As for sound, cables can have an effect in my experience. How can they not they are all made differently and the materials can vary so much. If you measured them with a meter some would conduct better and some would have more resistance.  As for overall sound think small adjustments on a graphic equalizer type difference, but this has been enough for me to stop liking a system as much (or even altogether).

Higher cost doesn't always mean better for you either.

Interconnects I find make less overall difference than speaker cable IMO. But for an example of two interconnects that do sound different you can get your hands on today, try Van den hull D102mk3 vs Chord crimson. To very crudely put it van den hull sounds dull compared to the chords much brighter sound. Which one you like best would depend on the rest of the things your using, but more importantly the listener if they can even hear a difference. 

Nice new interconnects by the way :^ , I like QED stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: torikoos

whatsnext

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2009
Birmingham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I avoided cables that suggest that the direction is significant. I regard it as taking ME for a ride others are happy to travel on. Cables by Mark Grant and NVA seem to be simple effective cables but not flashy which appeals to some.

torikoos

Wammer
Sep 10, 2016
Kingsteignton, Devon
AKA
Koos Fockens
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh I understand there are widely held views on cables etc. I guess the theory of being earthed only at one end may have some effect on electrical properties and therefore sound, but if I hear it on my equipment remains to be seen. Might try it just for the sake of it.   I'm also a believer in quality cables and have heard first hand differences between speaker cable and 'speaker cable' . Once you have good cables, it becomes trickier do distinguish differences and usually only if you really know your gear, the gear itself is of very high quality etc. I think these QED's are more than sufficient for my Hifi where individual components do not exceed 1000gbp.  I'm happy for others to go all out on this, I'm spending the difference on music :)

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh I understand there are widely held views on cables etc. I guess the theory of being earthed only at one end may have some effect on electrical properties and therefore sound, but if I hear it on my equipment remains to be seen. Might try it just for the sake of it.   I'm also a believer in quality cables and have heard first hand differences between speaker cable and 'speaker cable' . Once you have good cables, it becomes trickier do distinguish differences and usually only if you really know your gear, the gear itself is of very high quality etc. I think these QED's are more than sufficient for my Hifi where individual components do not exceed 1000gbp.  I'm happy for others to go all out on this, I'm spending the difference on music :)
I've been very happy with some QED products myself, and whether its got a arrow on it or not its very well made :^

atomic606

Intolerable know nothing
Wammer
Nov 2, 2014
taunton
AKA
thomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If a cable has direction markers on it.. No doubt once you have seen them you will hear a difference. 

• Upvote
Reactions: mac72

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Imagine what will happen if Roy Gregory finds out you are using your cables the wrong way around!

Keith

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tell your partner to swap them around a few times and see if you hear a difference yourself.
I know what my partner would tell me :D

but honestly swapping that QED cable around is not going to make the slightest bit of difference. Even if you had some ultra revealing monitors I don't think anyone could tell, cables yes but direction no. but the OCD in me would make sure they were going in the right direction.

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I decided to upgrade some of my interconnects. I do believe that getting a decent pair of interconnects to replace the skinny ones often found with hifi components makes a difference. 

Of course everything needs to be in balance. a pair of 200GBP interconnects attached to a 199GBP AV receiver is nuts in my view. So I went for a pair of QED Graphite interconnects between my CD player and my Arcam A85.  They are an improvement over a set of ancient 'Audio Selection' cables I had been using. However on the box it says there's arrows on the cable and to connect it in a certain direction for best results.  That is something I've never heard of before, and I doubt it would make a difference in my case, but maybe I should try it.

I just don't get the theory behind this. Of course if there is a difference in the plugs on one end compared to the other , maybe it has influence on the capacitance / impedance of the cable, but on a 0.6m run, and on a cable that appears identical at both ends?  I'm a bit skeptical.  Thoughts ?
A number of manufacturers suggest that their cables are not directional by manufacture, but become so in use. Whether this is down to dielectrics, conductors or phases of the moon is open to a degree of conjecture. You might try your cables 'as is' for a few weeks then reverse them and see if you notice any difference.

Unless it's for a specific technical reason (as already suggested) it may be as well to regard the arrows as being purely for connection consistency, although I suppose in the real world users aren't swapping cables that often.

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
Music signals are AC so the idea of directional cables in themselves is absurd. In some shielded cables the shield is only connected at one end, which would mean which way round it was would influence the shielding. Some cables have filters in them at one end so which way round they were would potentially effect the filtering.

torikoos

Wammer
Sep 10, 2016
Kingsteignton, Devon
AKA
Koos Fockens
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, I found my answer on QED's own website:  They write: Electrostatic Screen:  Provides immunity from external high voltage noise signals. Only connected at the source equipment end hence the directionality arrows on the cable jacket.

So that's the reason of the directionality of these cables. 

mickbald

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 9, 2015
Shropshire
AKA
Mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always place my source equipment physically higher than the amps. That way gravity speeds up the signal path to the amps which must be a positive.

Having said that, is gravity real, or does the Earth just suck :peace:

Speedskater

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AKA
Kevin Graf
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, some interconnect cables have an added shield that is only connected at the (powered) send end. They don't work so well when connected to a phono cartridge.

For other cables there is an audiophile misunderstanding. They think that the signal leaves the send end of the cable like a train leaving the station and go on to the next station.

But at any instant the signal leaving on one core has an equal but opposite signal returning on the other core. A half cycle later there rolls are reversed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.