HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First up, this is the company:

http://www.phonosophie.de/International/

This is the Room-Animator

PH_ROOM_FRUCHT150.gif

And this is the Audio-Animator

audioanimator-350.gif

There has been quite a debate on the Room-Animator in Another Forum, where people claimed to hear differences (“even my wife heard it and she’s deaf/dead/I’m not marriedâ€). To me, this is sheer hokum, but the discovery that the only Swiss dealer is just over the Jura from me prompted me to try it. The dealer begged me to try the Audio-Animator as well – he’d never before been confronted with someone with background in chemistry/materials science.

So, what are they?

The Room-Animator is a sealed flat cylinder of brushed aluminium, about 120mm diam. and 35mm high. There is a single blue LED in the centre of the upper face and a power input for the 6V power supply in the side. It’s quite heavy, and there is the sound of a smallish amount of light granular material (such as sand) moving inside when it’s shaken. In operation, the device should be placed such that the light path to the ceiling is unimpeded. It cost a heart-stopping CHF1198 (about £492).

The Audio-Animator is a 140mm long, 38mm diam gold-coloured cylinder with silver-coloured end caps. It is quite heavy and when shaken it makes the same moving granules sound (only more so). The mode of operation is that you pass this over whatever you want to enhance - recorded medium prior to playing, tonearm/cartridge, speakers. It cost a mild coronary-inducing CHF648 (about £266).

Both come in nice wooden boxes. With them came a booklet reviewing both in glowing terms. Both reviews were by a Marco Kolks, apparently a writer for a German magazine called Hörerlebnis, who was apparently determined to prove that German hi-fi journalists are not to be outdone in sheer unadulterated nuttiness by their British and US counterparts.

Executive Summary: I tried them. They didn’t work. Read further at your own risk.

These are part of a family of products. Within the last few weeks has come a Cable Animator, which is adapted to be clipped to a cable to do – whatever it’s supposed to do. This has the form of an aluminium cylinder, about 5 cm long and 1 cm diam. Finally, there is coming a power board for your hi-fi. All of these work on the same principle.

Which is what? Here the confusion starts, as no explanation is ever offered. The literature that comes with the Room-Animator states in large capitals

DER ARTKUSTIK RAUM AUDIO ANIMATOR IST KEIN “ESOTERIK†PRODUKE SONDERN ARBEITET NACH REIN PHYSICALISCHEN GESETZMÄSSIGKEITEN

(The Artkustik Room Audio Animator is not an “esoteric†product, but one that works according to pure physical regularities).

The use of the word “Gesetzmässigkeit†(regularity) seems odd – AFAIK it is not the German word for physical law. On the English language website, however, Phonosophie does use “lawsâ€, even though what’s written is nonsense (electrons only move in matter during chemical reactions and when passing an electrical current – the whole physical universe relies on electrons otherwise staying exactly where they are). Glad also that they found a naturally-occurring blue LED…

The Room Animator works purely according to the laws of Physics (the ordered movement of electrons in matter) and depends on the use of natural matter. It contains only naturally-occurring materials.

Whenever we listen to the music from a HiFi system, we need air in our room to transmit the sound. The more evenly arranged is the “sound conductivity†of the air, the better the acoustic behaviour of the room.

In practice this means: increased dynamics, high resolution, more detail and improved spatial definition, a more accurate bass rendition, and a more live feel to the musical rendition.

The piece on the Audio-Animator is bigger, and even more nonsensical:

The performance shows more energy, no matter how loud you listen. Also reveals more width in the sound stage, which is no longer restricted in scale.

The bass has more swing and more rhythm ...the brushed hi-hats seem to be more subtle.

Hands on piano sound

Guitar strings are enunciated, have more context...

Seems to take on increased air and precision.

In total an easier, airier, lighter and smoother sound has been attained.

Hörerlebnis / Marco Kolks

Music pulses with animation, is livelier and fresher…

The triangle in Liszts first piano concerto (Katchen, Decca) attained almost 3D room qualities, the piano stood out with a more contoured sound.

… allowed the individual instruments of the string section to be show themselves much more clearly.

hifi & records / Ludwig Flich

The ARTKUSTIK AUDIO ANIMATOR is used to reduce material stress. Using the regularities of physics. It transfers the structural order of crystals to each object, in its proximity. Regardless of which material it is made of plastic, wood or metal.

All that needs to done is to pass the AUDIO ANIMATOR just over the surface of both sides of the CD.

The same applies to records, tone arms and system components.

Its even worth leaving the AUDIO ANIMATOR on top of the CD player the whole time.

Cables and speakers can also benefit from `treatment´.

Was there ever a better specimen of spherical equine waste product than this?

Using the regularities of physics. It transfers the structural order of crystals to each object, in its proximity.

The word “Quarz†(quartz) proudly features on the Audio-Animator. Quartz, crystalline silicon dioxide, is the most common of minerals – sand is mainly fine quartz. Bigger SiO2 crystals are much desired for their aesthetic appeal and also by New Age believers for their alleged healing ability – here’s a piece from Wikipedia that describes it well:

The contemporary usage of the term New Age was popularised by the American mass media during the late 1980s, to describe the alternative spiritual subculture, including activities all the way from meditation, channelling, reincarnation, crystals, psychic experience, to holistic health or environmentalism, or belief in anomalous phenomena, or for others “unsolved mysteries†such as UFOs, Earth mysteries and crop circles.

…

Many people with a New Age perspective also adopt complementary and alternative medicine. Some rely on New Age treatments exclusively, while others use them in combination with conventional medicine. This approach is regarded as completely compatible with New age belief in the unity of mind, body, spirit, and the emphasis on things of a natural origin. Some noteworthy New Age techniques are , Ayurveda, homeopathy, rebirthing, reparenting, Past life regression, Primal therapy, neurolinguistic programming, the Feldenkrais method, iridology, auras, and the use of crystals in healing therapy

So, it sounds as if this stuff is the extension of New Age to hi-fi. The dealer described to me that the use of the Audio-Animator caused the materials to “relaxâ€. I was very proud of myself that I didn’t burst out laughing in his face. Your tonearm should ideally be infinitely rigid – do you want it to relax in any way? Ditto the grooves in your record – I had this mental image of the PVC relaxing so much that it all sags into the grooves, filling them up. It ties in with the advice given to the user of the device. To paraphrase the original German:

There are several parameters why an effect isn’t immediately evident: one is tense and doesn’t follow the music [Are you listening, Ivor?] When you are inwardly calm and the equipment and music carrier are to some extent decorous[don’t look at me, I didn’t write it!] and stable, a comfortable atmosphere occurs and the positive effect of the Room-Animator is clearly perceptible .

You are even told to test it with a “melodic piece of musicâ€! The message appears to be that both you and the material, be it the record/CD, the equipment or, in the case of the Room-Animator, the atmosphere itself, must not be “tenseâ€, but relaxed. You are invited to buy the analogy that, as you hear better when you are relaxed, so your equipment/recordings/atmosphere perform better in this state. This is total piffle, but then the accessories end of the hi-fi industry runs on total piffle.

One of the oddest suggestions seems to indicate some sort of electromagnetic effect. You listen to a piece of music. You then pause the music, ring a number on your mobile telephone and set the phone on the Room-Animator (without covering the LED), leaving it there for 5-10 seconds. You then turn off the phone and unplug the Room-Animator and play the music. According to the literature, most of the positive “effect†will have been destroyed. At this point, I was watching nervously for the arrival of the three witches from “Macbethâ€...

New Age believers believe in strange individual electromagnetic fields, auras and whatnot. So, putting it all together, it seems to me that what we have here is New Age applied to hi-fi. To any Ozs reading, it’s reminiscent of Peter Brock’s infamous “energy polariserâ€, fitted to his modified Holdens and claiming to make the car run quieter and more economically.

When I got home, I fired up the ESL57s as I usually do, ready for an evening’s listening, and at the same time I turned on the Room-Animator. I then left it for about 4 hours while I went about my usual Saturday afternoon activity of molesting innocent pieces of wood in the garage. So, back for the test, using my standard test disc, the marvellous Pinnock recording of Handel’s “Water Musicâ€, the CD and LP of which I’ve owned for over 20 years and every nuance of which performance I know. It sounded great. I unplugged the Room-Animator. It sounded just as great. In fact, it sounded just the same. No nuances that I could even use as the basis for an imagination that something had changed. It was just the same.

I tried the mobile phone trick. Also no change.

I then tried waving the Audio-Animator over the CD in the tray (feeling very grateful that the wife was in the garden and the younger ladies were out and about). And it made precisely no difference.

The advice on the instructions is “if you don’t hear a difference, try again.†I guess you are expected to wear yourself into acquiescence, possibly aided by the fact that you’d spent a bomb on this thing.

So, the only conclusion to which I can come is that this is yet another example of snake oil. I’m sure that Herr Phonosophie believes in it and that it’s the real deal (well, I hope he does…), but I’m not.

When I reported this on That Other Forum, the main protagonist went slightly bananas (admittedly he's usually within easy walking distance thereof) and accused me of not following the test instructions exactly (I had), resorting finally to trying to distort the words of the German language instructions (a language he doesn't read).

So why did folk at ZG hear a difference? The usual mixture of things interacting:

1.The manufacturers and magazines have generated a hi-fi world in which unscientific piffle is treated as fact, and which is lapped up by, in the famous words of J. Gordon Holt, founding editor of “Stereovileâ€, a generation of scientific illiterates (reproduced at the end of this piece for those who have never seen them). As Holt says, “Where knowledge ends, superstition begins.â€

Thus, people who are audiophiles generally come pre-conditioned to believe that things such as cables and green pens can make a difference, instead of immediately rejecting it as unscientific codswallop. Thus, when someone comes along with a new gizmo, they are looking for a difference, and their imagination and/or desire often supplies it.

2. Pride – aka “The Emperor’s New Clothes Syndromeâ€. Audiophiles might not claim to be golden-eared, but they see themselves as more discriminating than the hoi polloi. And when one expects to hear more, one often does.

My personal belief is that this Phonosophie stuff is pure New Age and therefore total hooey. However, for folk who heard a difference, if it enhances their listening pleasure to use such devices – for whatever reason – good for them. However, this is one expensive difference. At that price I’d demand the orchestra to magically appear before me in person.

And so, let’s all stand and sing The Phonosophie Song:

Blue, blue, my light is blue

Cost me a bomb, but what could I do?

Red, red, my account’s dead

But better sound, what more need be said?

Ray, ray, forget naysay-

Ers, diff’rence great, indeed night and day,

Quartz, quartz, it takes the warts

And all from music, cannot be rort

How it works, we have not a clue

But work it does, we have heard and it’s true.

Beam, beam, it makes eyes gleam

Blue LED, kit sounds like a dream

Sound, sound, that, pound for pound

Makes for an upgrade really profound

Those who say, it can’t go this way

Don’t want to hear what’s plain as day.

Green, green, and quite obscene

With envy are those sceptic has-beens

Black, black, s’not goin’ back

When it’s switched off, apparent’s the lack.

It’s heard by all, not just in the head

Even my wife, who is both deaf and dead.

Blue, blue, next comes a new

Gold magic wand and cable ones too

Grey, grey, I’ll hear all day,

New Age of sound, don’t care what folk say!

Mind you, my personal song would be:

Well ma baby caught me list’nin',

To a weird blue light today,

Well ma baby caught me list’nin',

To a weird blue light today,

So she tossed both it an’ me out

An’ as I landed, heard her say.

Chorus:

See ya later, Animator,

It’s so vile, such a pile

Of a fluid whose creator

Was a legless long reptile.

There’s no way ah’m gonna share life

With a crazy audiophile!

So ah begged her for forgiveness

An’ ah said ah’d seen the light

So ah begged her for forgiveness

An’ ah said ah’d seen the light

An’ she said, “Ah’ll forgive this time

Long as the light yo’ saw was white!â€

Chorus:

Donna what ah’m gonna do now

With all these crystals that I got

Donna what ah’m gonna do now

With all these crystals that I got

An’ they don’ seem to be healin’

Where ah landed on mah bot!

Chorus:

The wise words of J. Gordon Holt (specifically on the subject of Beltism) that cannot be repeated often enough:

Psychological tests in other areas of human perception—vision, touch, taste, smell—have proven how unreliable they are, and how much they can be influenced by expectation or suggestion. There's no reason to believe aural perception is the sole exception to this. I am sure this is why so many audiophiles still hear brashness and stridency in Japanese audio products five years after nearly all of them ceased to sound that way.

For self-styled golden ears to be claiming, and trying, to be "objective" is to deny reality, because perception is not like instrumentation. Everything we perceive is filtered through a judgmental process which embodies all of our previous related experiences, and the resulting judgment is as much beyond conscious control as a preference for chocolate over vanilla. We cannot will ourselves to feel what we do not feel. Thus, when perceptions are so indistinct as to be wide open to interpretation, we will tend to perceive what we want to perceive or expect to perceive or have been told that we should perceive. This, I believe, explains the reports that Peter Belt's devices work as claimed.

Perhaps what bothers me so much about the Belt affair is the alacrity with which supposedly rational, technically savvy individuals have accepted, on the basis of subjective observation alone, something which all their scientific and journalistic background should tell them warrants a great deal of skepticism. But then, perhaps I shouldn't be that surprised.

Despite heroic efforts to educate our population, the US (and, apparently, the UK) has been graduating scientific illiterates for more than 40 years. And where knowledge ends, superstition begins. Without any concepts of how scientific knowledge is gleaned from intuition, hypothesis, and meticulous investigation, or what it accepts today as truth, anything is possible. Without the anchor of science, we are free to drift from one idea to another, accepting or "keeping an open mind about" as many outrageous tenets as did the "superstitious natives" we used to scorn 50 years ago. (We still do, but it's unfashionable to admit it.) Many of our beliefs are based on nothing more than a very questionable personal conviction that, because something should be true, then it must be. (Traditional religion is the best example of this.) The notion that a belief should have at least some objective support is scorned as being "closed-minded," which has become a new epithet. In order to avoid that dread appellation, we are expected to pretend to be open to the possibility that today's flight of technofantasy may prove to be tomorrow's truth, no matter how unlikely. Well, I don't buy that.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
LOL, nice one.
biggrin.png

I'm still marvelling at how a triangle manages to achieve "3D qualities." The triangle is obviously a much deeper and more complex instrument than I imagined.....

E

Effem

For me personally, some tweaks work rather well, some so-so or negligible but audible nonethelessand some make SFA difference.

Well if it is to be said that us audiophools are without doubt perpetually overcome with endless amounts of positive expectation from every bit of hi-fi tweakery there is (no matter how illogical, or absurd, or how high the price tag come to that) then my expectation levels were well and truly AWOL when this device was plonked into my listening room a few weeks ago. I had read much on the Zerogain forumhow a member there had visited several other members with this Room Animator device and they noted some positive sonic differences in their listening environments. Our esteemed Tones had managed to acquire one on loan for a while and his views are ably noted above and no surprises there.

Rather than the classic clearly audible, barely audible or totally absent of any change whatsoever, this device produced the most negative experience of any tweak ever gone before. Within 10 minutes of the device being active I started getting a tightening sensation in the neck andabove my eyes. Rather than a sweet lucidness or whatever else was claimed for the device, my system sounded positively distorted
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Bang then goes the "experimenter expectation" the theorists have on the subject.

Although there is no explanation of how the thing works from the manufacturer, it was certainly doing something and for me it wasn't a pleasant experience at all. As it happens my visitor also brought along a Behringer DEQ so it was duly plumbed into my system via the DAC digital interface and some pink noise was played through the system. The response was set for as flat as was possible, then the device was plugged in and allowed the few minutes to do whatever it's supposed to be doing. I could clearly see the response curve rising around 2-3db the 20 - 30hz region, along withsimilar rises in the 1kz, 5khz and 10khz although these were somewhat less at 1 - 2db. The Behringer's scale did not extend below 20hz so it was not possible to see what was going on at the lower frequencies.

The manufacturer claims that the device should be set up in a closed environment, i.e. a normal room with doors and windows closed which was adhered to in the first listening session. For the second attempt the door leading out into the garden was left open and this time I didn't get the tightening sensations in my head, but then again I didn't notice any audible differences either the second time I listened.

My summary of it is it's probably producing a low frequency sound that is directly inaudible to the human hearing and what I and others are hearing are possiblysum and difference or harmonics effects. If there was a friendly whale nearby I could have asked for a second opinion I suppose
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
As it is, I wouldn't pay the asking price for the device no matter how much positive beneficial effect there was with it, as it handsomely exceeds the amount I would spend on any tweak, so would be better invested in major component upgrades. IMVHO of course.

E

Effem

Pretty much confirms what I have suspected all along that it's the NIMBYs that used it as justification for not have a mast sited near their house. Yet these are the very same people that have high energy devices pressed right up against their ears day in and day out;)

S

s2000db

Effem wrote:

Pretty much confirms what I have suspected all along that it's the NIMBYs that used it as justification for not have a mast sited near their house. Yet these are the very same people that have high energy devices pressed right up against their ears day in and day out;)
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
To be honest wouldn't we all?
wink.png

E

Effem

A local energy supply company wants to site a wind turbine generator in a field well away from the village we live in. Had a meeting down the local hall a few weeks ago and the NIMBYs were well and truly out in force. One thing that was mooted and taken seriously by some I might add that this one single lone device would pollute the atmosphere for several miles around it with radiation. This nation is falling down towards the low level of thenumptys of this world and no wonder we have a nanny state with reams ofregulations increasing on a weekly basisand the litigation culture growing faster than Bindweed around our society.

We can see it from our house, but it's no more a blot on the landscape that the industrial units we can also see alreadyin the same vista.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Why not put up your own wind turbine to spite them
biggrin.png

Of course you would need to switch to digital amplifiction, switched off when not in use, and organic cables that deteriorate over time (built in eco customer base) and become conversant with the WEE? Regulations to take back your own products ( resale not a problem as the Regulations don't commit you to destroy them just re-cycle them
wink.png
)

If the LPA object you can always appeal on the basis of you are helping the state by producing your own electricity and may even be able to sell it to the National Grid
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
s2000db wrote:

There was an interesting and scientific article reported in the Times todayhttp://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/health/article2141390.ece
That is a crap study. All audiophiles know DBTs are useless. They should have done the test with the mobile mast using a long term test not some crap AB test and one that clearly show people when the masks were turn on or off. The test obviously designed to fail because the people where too stress wondering and double guessing whether the thing was turn on or off so became confused.

In double-blind trials in which neither participants nor experimenters knew whether the signals were on or off no health effects were detected. The finding adds to earlier research suggesting that radiosensitivity is an illusion.

boseman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Here., ,
Shame, because I was interested in Phonosopie cd players at one stage but saw these contraptions on their website.

I can't take manufacturers that sell such dubious tweaks seriously. It gives me the impression that they'd sell you any old crap just to make a quick buck.

Good review. Thanks.

S

sq225917

there was a perceived difference with it plugged into my setup, not a difference i would pay you for, but a differnece. it could have just been new kit bias, it was that vague, sort of like when you have a good hifi day.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Well well, what a strange device. I would personally love to hear it.

If it was being peddled by Machina Dynamica I think I would dismiss it out of hand. Phonosophie on the other hand are AFAIK a German audio Co. of some pedigree. (A sort of German Naim ?) . I see little gain for Phonosophie to put their weight behind this if it is indeed snake oil.

Having said that, the webpage regarding this product is very short on actual detail and very big on audiophool waffle.

I have read the 20 odd pages over on Zerogain and there does seem to be something that this animator thing does. The originator of the post on ZG, Zanash is a long time forum poster and a cable brewer of some repute. Again I can only seenegative credibility for such a person to suddenley be brave enough to say he believes in such a product.

What I do find sad however is the fervour with which the non believers / sceptics attack anything like this if and when it is shown in a positive light. With his very articulate 'myths of hifi' series I think Tones has shown on which side of the fence he sits.

I think all too often, people comment on product they have not heard, or if they have, it was once at a show for all of 10 minutes - not the most likely of venues. I know that in this instance, Tones has heard to Animator and declared it to be snake oil - I think having read his myths of hifi series there was an air of predictability about his thoughts on it before he had even heard it. I am not attacking Tones for holding these views - I think some people hear things different to others (wether they want to hear them / don't want to hear them is another matter all together).

I think where things get out of hand is where peoples own experiences are suddenley transformed into unquestionable truths - it either works or it doesn't. I don't think its as clearcut as that.

The Kettle lead debate from the 'Guardian' a few months back was based onvery sound logic but my own experiences of mains leads (however illogical) have persuaded me that there is a difference to be had in the world of wanky wires. This is not an absolute truth however, Cable abc might sound brilliant when working with system z, but when substituted into system y there might be absolutely no percievable difference. To then post on a forum that cable abc is utterly magical / complete crap (depending on what system you heard it) is an utter falsehood.

I think people should just apply'bullshit' filter to most postings on forums. Its a commonly held cynical view that there may be a link to a good review of a product in an audio magazine in relation to how much that same manufactuerer spends on advertising in the same magazine. Its the same with cable wars and the like on forums - once you work out which side of the fence most posters are on its easy to pedict the way the thread will go. Its also the same with the more voluminous posters on forums who always recomend the same audio brands - how often do recomendations this reflect a poster's (often newly bought) components or the kit they happen to sell.

Enough of my ramblings, back to the Animator.

As I said, I would love to hear it in my room with my system. If it worked, i.e. I perceived it to be of a benefit then I would have to consider whether it was worth £700. If on the other hand I could not detect any benefit, or worse still, I thought my system actually sounded worse, I would then be satisfied that it did'nt suit my set-up and room. I would not then openly post on forums that it was a complete and utter rip-off just because I didn't like it. I think its this point where a lot of posters suddenley become convinced that their own experience is the only possible perception of a product.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AdamK wrote:

Well well, what a strange device. I would personally love to hear it.If it was being peddled by Machina Dynamica I think I would dismiss it out of hand. Phonosophie on the other hand are AFAIK a German audio Co. of some pedigree. (A sort of German Naim ?) . I see little gain for Phonosophie to put their weight behind this if it is indeed snake oil.
On the other hand, Adam, think of Densen and its DeMagic demagnetising drink coaster, which does precisely nothing for anything (although at least it's relatively cheap). The lure of snake oil is strong and apparent respectability is no guarantee. Sadly, it appears that most of these companies are quite prepared to trade on their reputation and lie their legs off for a sale. They realise that there's a whole world of believers out thereto whom the laws of physics don't apply, so they exploit them.

I have read the 20 odd pages over on Zerogain and there does seem to be something that this animator thing does. The originator of the post on ZG, Zanash is a long time forum poster and a cable brewer of some repute. Again I can only seenegative credibility for such a person to suddenley be brave enough to say he believes in such a product.
If you look over Zanash's history, you'll find that this is one of the saner things he's espoused, so no courage required! He's (naturally) a fan of the big lathe con and at one point he was involved in a vituperative argument (he gets that way) over putting paper dots on speakers to improve their performance! He's not a known Beltist, but he's the sort of person who would believe it would work. He's a dowser, by the way, so the New Age applied to hi-fi aspects would appeal. I've nothing against the guy (he has every right to his beliefs), but you'll have noticed how he is willing to twist and misinterpret things.What I do find sad however is the fervour with which the non believers / sceptics attack anything like this if and when it is shown in a positive light. With his very articulate 'myths of hifi' series I think Tones has shown on which side of the fence he sits.

I think all too often, people comment on product they have not heard, or if they have, it was once at a show for all of 10 minutes - not the most likely of venues. I know that in this instance, Tones has heard to Animator and declared it to be snake oil - I think having read his myths of hifi series there was an air of predictability about his thoughts on it before he had even heard it. I am not attacking Tones for holding these views - I think some people hear things different to others (wether they want to hear them / don't want to hear them is another matter all together).
I am indeed firmly on the s©eptic side of the fence. It is indeed inevitable that I should hear it thus, because it is inevitable that such things are utter hogwash and many people have heard what they wanted to hear. I do not accept "subtle" differences, because these are precisely the diferences most easily imagined if you want them (been there, done that). The Room-Animator was supposed to make a huge difference of the "even my wife heard it" variety. I gave it a fair chance - several actually, as I repeated the procedure in the instructions several times to try to satisfy Zanash's ravings that I hadn't done it properly - to precisely no effect.
If people's listening experiences are enhanced by this device - for whatever reason - I have no problem with that. I still maintain thatthey're being taken for a ride and that Phonosophie is laughing all the way to the bank.I think where things get out of hand is where peoples own experiences are suddenley transformed into unquestionable truths - it either works or it doesn't. I don't think its as clearcut as that.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.It is every bit as clear-cut as that, it either works or it doesn't. It doesn't. The rest is up to the imaginations and desires of the hearers.

S

sq225917

tones, the lathe thing is absolutely golden, regardless of your thoughts on the animator.

which i admit would appear to need so many different aspects of 'a following wind' behind it to work as prescribed that it could just be the luck of the draw and some people myself included being exposed to it on what accounted to little more than a good-hi-fi-day. ( ie some days hifi sounds crap others it sounds bewitching).

i'm entirely willing to believe that the animator did jack, and just conincided with a nice 'mains supply' day.

The CD lathe on the other hand is night and day with about 90% of CD's.

The Machina Dynamica stuff on the other hand, is total Peter Belt, if it does anythig it's because you have 'tricked' yourself into believing it does. (apart from the obvious damping ability of a big glass jar full of stones placed on a rattly metal case or in the convergence of an echo node in a room corner).

I would pay to lathe my CD's, for the sole reason i prefer the sound and on most discs can blindly select the lathed version with near total accuracy.I wouldn't pay for a green marker pen, a MD phone upgrade or any anti-static cd cleaner, Nespa etc etc ad infinitum.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sq225917 wrote:

tones, the lathe thing is absolutely golden, regardless of your thoughts on the animator.
SQ, ol' bud, I respect your views on the lathe, but the sad fact of the matter is that it is a total con. It does not work because it cannot work. The alleged working principle is a farce, simply because all the alleged internally reflected light that this thing is supposed to be deflectingdoes not exist in reality. Moreover, even if it did, you're talking about light, something that can go around the Equator seven times in one second - do you really think that it wouldn't all find its way to where it had to go in time?

In addition, I tried it. I had a CD (my favourite Handel's Water Music) done by Herr Gläss himself and tried it against a non-modified CD of the same thing. No difference whatsoever.

Finally, anything that removes part of the acrylic protective layer is, in my opinion, madness.

But, as I say, if it enhances your listening experience, I'd be the last to object, and I'll leave the subject there.

E

earl of sodbury

tones wrote:

AdamK wrote:
If you look over Zanash's history, you'll find that this is one of the saner things he's espoused, so no courage required! He's (naturally) a fan of the big lathe con and at one point he was involved in a vituperative argument (he gets that way) over putting paper dots on speakers to improve their performance! He's not a known Beltist, but he's the sort of person who would believe it would work. He's a dowser, by the way, so the New Age applied to hi-fi aspects would appeal. I've nothing against the guy (he has every right to his beliefs), but you'll have noticed how he is willing to twist and misinterpret things.
I've met Zanash - perfectly civil chap, but Tony's right he is very fairies... no, make that faeries-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden in his audio beliefs, though also a competent modder and cable-roller.

But approaching Clinical Beltanoia in his Beliefs...

E.g. - tried to determine the gender of a human skeleton with dowsing rods while on a visit to my workplace...

glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif

Anyway, the "technology" being discussed is at best highly suspect - so for once Tones and I agree on summat

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
earl of sodbury wrote:

Anyway, the "technology" being discussed is at best highly suspect - so for once Tones and I agree on summat
It’s no coincidence the same “technology†can be found in other woo woo products for the believer. Pass the fruitcake (and the magnetic bracelets).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online