Pink Floyd - Which releases are worth buying and which to avoid?

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So..... off the back of the other thread I just started about disappointing recordings. I'm looking for some advice from you PF aficionados on which studio albums to pick, and which issues of those albums. I'm not looking to get every single album necessarily, just a few of the better ones, musically.

I'd be grateful for some feedback on which originals, remasters or remixes to go for and which aren't worth the money. Starting with "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", where I'm disappointed with the original EMI issue. On Discogs I see it looks as though there's a 2017 remaster on both LP and CD, and there's also a 2021 "Remixed & Updated" issue on 2 x 45rpm LP. Normally though "Remixed" would mean "messed around with", so not sure if either of these two issues improves on the original in SQ terms?

Advice on other PF albums also greatly appreciated!

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The remixed and remastered AMLOR is much better than the original IMO - much more like a PF sounding album and with real drums.

As for the other Floyd albums I don't know where to begin. The 2011 Discovery editions are ok and safe buys sound quality wise. There are not really any awful official releases, just slight differences in sq across wherever they were copied and manufactured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules_S

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll bring some of my 2016 CD remasters on Sunday Jules... primarily they cover Dark Side onwards so at least you can take them away and have a listen before you decide to purchase any ;)

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the Meddle to Animals period, which includes DSOTM and WYWH. Others like their early work but I never got into it.

Some of remasters around 2011 were well regarded.

Meddle is definitely worth trying. Animals is a bit underrated I think.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Brilliant feedback, thanks gents, and that's a very kind offer of the loan, Pete, I'm grateful.

I saw an old thread about some big problems with the quality of the pressing of the Animals remaster, where there's lots of scratches, click & pops. Any other vinyl remasters to avoid because of the same reasons?

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 13.11.05.png

You could track down a solid triangle DSOTM LP and pass it on to me lol.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's interesting, Gary. Are these CD reissues? What was the source of the survey? Interesting that Animals is significantly ahead of the rest. So, avoid the 2022 version and go for the one 11 years earlier

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who is Gary?

In my post l was talking about cds. Don't know about LPs, the Hoffman forum, is quite good for this sort of thing. Problem is there are lots of different releases. There is guy who runs a record shop in Phoenix that does youtube videos on different well know albums, all vinyl of course. Some of the best ones are very expensive but not all.

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: richard mainwaring

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Brilliant feedback, thanks gents, and that's a very kind offer of the loan, Pete, I'm grateful.

If you want anything of theirs on vinyl too Jules, let me know, I've got nearly all of the recent vinyl remasters - sans the 2018 Animals, for the reasons you mention... however, a second run of the 2018 remaster is apparently out there, but I've held off thus far, at least until I can guarantee I'm buying the latest press and that its as good as the previous remasters...

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For WIW my take on PF having been a fan since 1974, chronologically the albums to have are
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
maybe The Wall
possibly Pulse

As to which version I have no idea.
The first two have their moments, if you like the Barrett era they are essential.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For WIW my take on PF having been a fan since 1974, chronologically the albums to have are
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
maybe The Wall
possibly Pulse

As to which version I have no idea.
The first two have their moments, if you like the Barrett era they are essential.
Can't agree about Obscured by Clouds, IMO their worst album. It was for a film, nothing like their other albums, I bought by mistake and got rid quickly, in 1973. It is said to a rushed project to meet a deadline.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't agree about Obscured by Clouds, IMO their worst album. It was for a film, nothing like their other albums, I bought by mistake and got rid quickly, in 1973. It is said to a rushed project to meet a deadline.
OK you don't like it but I love it, I'd go for Momentary Lapse of Reason as worst album, but heyho, good job we are all not the same.

Actually O by C is musically a precursor to DSOTM in many respects, and contains Roger going on about the war, so business as usual.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK you don't like it but I love it, I'd go for Momentary Lapse of Reason as worst album, but heyho, good job we are all not the same.

Actually O by C is musically a precursor to DSOTM in many respects, and contains Roger going on about the war, so business as usual.
Yes different tastes but OBC is not considered to be one of their better albums. I bought it after DSOTM, huge disappointment. More is said to be worse, don't know it myself. Not a fan of The Wall apart from a couple of songs.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't really care what reviewers and others think of it.
Never followed the herd.
More is ok I didn't mention More because it polarises views and don't fancy long discourse defending tastes. I even like Ommayyad so I am not be relied upon.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, let's not turn this thing personal, everyone is going to have different likes and dislikes. I'm interested more in the general consensus, and so far it seems that Animals is definitely one to get. (I think I might have had a copy of Meddle at some point in the past but I can't find it, so I might replace that too). And 2011 remasters seem to be.... generally well-regarded?

My take on Momentary Lapse so far is that there's some good tracks on there, especially Sorrow, but it hasn't grabbed me overall yet. A few more listens, perhaps. I'm quite forgiving generally.

Looking forward to a good listening session after this weekend, thanks to Pete 👍

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For their earlier output you could try the Relics album and for their later work A Foot in the Door compilation album. There's also the A Collection of Great Dance Songs comp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online