cuckoo-clock.gif

30hurts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First. This is not a faith forum. Therefore, do you think that "naysayers" have as much right to voice their opinions as anyone else? If yes, then what is the problem? If not then would you prefer unilateral moderation, and who should judge the criteria for that moderation?

Second. Please point out any question, sensible or not, being posed by the OP?

Third. If you can't find a question posed by the OP then which of the ensuing statements made in this thread meet your criteria of inanity?

And finally from the OP...

...ermm...
Gotta do better on you're trolling. You're currently about 2/10 whereas Phil is in the lead with 8/10 due to his ability to back up his nonsense with pseudo science babble.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got assorted mains cables here. All nailed together with my own (un)fair hands, using all sorts of wire. Lapp screened stuff, Belden, Kondo, Audio Note, Supra and 'ordinary' B&Q. I do use decent quality connectors, which I reckon probably make more difference than anything. I've also borrowed and tried some different ones that come at the sort of price that causes physical pain.

Is there any difference? Can't be sure. Therefore, if there is, it certainly isn't a substantial difference. Bear in mind though that all my source components use separate power supplies, built to be as immune as possible to external effects and interference, so that probably means the 'supply' will have less of an influence.

Like everything similar, there aren't going to be massive differences with any cable. With mains cables in particular. Thus, the cost/improvment ratio suggests spending silly money is pointless, as there are far bigger improvements to be found elsewhere.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with George with the Belden 19364 recommendation.

I can hear worthwhile improvements / differences with mains cables. I've had some quite fancy (i.e. expensive) ones, but the Belden is the best of them imo.

Reactions: JustinTime

E600

Wammer
Jan 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can’t suggest why the same upgraded cable would necessarily sound better on one amp, but worse on the other, sorry.

but I always screen as much of the mains leads as possible and also try to route them well away from audio cables and if they must cross, try to ensure they cross the audio ones at right angles.

as to noticing the difference, maybe?

Reactions: Sir_Franc

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First. This is not a faith forum. Therefore, do you think that "naysayers" have as much right to voice their opinions as anyone else? If yes, then what is the problem?
Yes. Absolutely.
One naysaying comment is useful input.
A second from the same person is pointlessly repetitious.
Any more than that is trolling and thread spoiling, as is information-free mockery.

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hear what you're saying (and you obviously did come here to argue) but I've heard the same chat one thousand times over. I'm as skeptical as it comes about everything in life and I also thought people were mugs for buying cable since I used Van Damme XKE in my system. Until I took a chance and changed them out to OCC copper with better connectors I realised I was the only mug listening to a sub standard version of my system.

If anyone has any decent input I'd be grateful. I cant be bothered with condescending attitudes on a hifi forum.
Try putting up a thread about fuses……..

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic thanks George. It was infact the Puritian Audio Classic cable that made a substantial difference to my pre amp but sounded worse on power amp. This is the part that's bemused I have seen different cables, which are recommended for different applications. If you look up the cable you have on the website, it may help

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, mains cables are like that cherry on the cake after you’ve done every other tweak. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive varieties from the likes of MCRU and, dare I say it, Russ Andrews that are worth a punt and are easy enough to return or sell on if you find the results unsatisfactory… Same goes for the more expensive brands (Nordost spring to mind) if you buy used…

Reactions: pirov

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never paid much attention to mains cables beyond using decent quality cable and connectors with low contact resistance - this is due to boredom rather than scepticism, as there are things that I would far rather spend my money on.
However... one of my increasingly desperate attempts to prevent my system from picking up signals from the nearby SW radio enthusiast was to buy a second hand Puritan mains conditioner - what took me by surprise wasn't its total failure to solve my problem, but the significant beneficial effects on sound quality (I'm not suggesting worthy of ludicrous "jaw hit the floor" hyperbole, but very noticeable) - further (lengthy) experimenting also led to the conclusion that the gains I heard were somewhat negated if I plugged my power amp into the unit as well - things definitely sound much better with this one component plugged directly into the wall.
I have no idea whether this has any bearing on your experience, but supposing your cable is acting as some sort of passive filter, could it be that this doesn't sit well with more current hungry devices? MH

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got assorted mains cables here. All nailed together with my own (un)fair hands, using all sorts of wire. Lapp screened stuff, Belden, Kondo, Audio Note, Supra and 'ordinary' B&Q. I do use decent quality connectors, which I reckon probably make more difference than anything. I've also borrowed and tried some different ones that come at the sort of price that causes physical pain.

Is there any difference? Can't be sure. Therefore, if there is, it certainly isn't a substantial difference. Bear in mind though that all my source components use separate power supplies, built to be as immune as possible to external effects and interference, so that probably means the 'supply' will have less of an influence.

Like everything similar, there aren't going to be massive differences with any cable. With mains cables in particular. Thus, the cost/improvment ratio suggests spending silly money is pointless, as there are far bigger improvements to be found elsewhere.
You'll get creosote stains on your chino's for sitting so firmly on the fence Richard, Humpty Dumpty would be proud... :LOL:

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can’t suggest why the same upgraded cable would necessarily sound better on one amp, but worse on the other, sorry.

but I always screen as much of the mains leads as possible and also try to route them well away from audio cables and if they must cross, try to ensure they cross the audio ones at right angles.

as to noticing the difference, maybe?
No.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me it's always depended on the kit, some don't care what power cable but others bits to my ears have always sounded better with a different cable.

With my cdp, I've tried several different cables but have always preferred the cheapish RA yello main lead...

So can understand why one would suit a pre but not a power... Or why one person can hear a difference with their kit but someone else with different kit can't.

All of it is subjective from my view anyway, I've heard plenty of systems that people have raved about and wondered what all the fuss is about... None of it can be purely scientific otherwise by this point of hifi evolution all hifi would measure and therefore sound the same right 🤔

So if it makes a difference for you great, rock on 👾...If it doesn't, think of the money you saved 👍

Reactions: Strider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online