Poweramps - Sugden, MF - can anyone explain please?

P

purplepleaser

Your reverse psychology isn't going to work on me:nup:.

Good to here your trying something new.Just may make you realise you were right in the first play.
smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif

Lee

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
purplepleaser wrote:

Your reverse psychology isn't going to work on me:nup:.Good to here your trying something new.Just may make you realise you were right in the first play.

Lee
Reverse psychology.... moi ....
wink.png

This just sums up my take on the hifi hobby, I just have to try for myself just in case. I reckon the Pathos will blow everything aay and stop this disease I have
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

P

purplepleaser

I'm sure Kiang bought a Pathos amp. Could be worth getting in touch. I have heard the moster Pathos into the old spec Art Impressions:love:. I would not be able to lift the big Pathos.

If you don't try you don't know. Good luck

Lee

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Lee

Leave the amp on . Turn off the central heating is what I do and leave the door open when not listening. to warm the rest of the house.

The Sugden monos V the Pathos monos would be one hell of a bake off through the Impressions .

We may never want to go home
biggrin.png

darrell

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
, , United Kingdom
gsrai wrote:

DARRELL and LEEThankyou very much for your thoughts (cleared up a lot in my head - left some questions as well but that's the nature of the game I suppose :Not Sure:).

Lee, what is it that gives the "torque" as you put it (great analogy
smile.png
) - is it current?

Darrell, your conclusion (If I understand it right) is that the transients (sudden changes) in the music is where power is important, is that right?

Since I only listen at low volumes (say between 7 and 8 o'clock) - what would be the best answer/compromise?

ICE - you must be mad
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif
Sudden changes from soft to loud could drive a not-powerful-enough amp into distortion - note the warnings on some cds - eg my copy of the 1812 overture "the live cannon on this recording could damage your system/ears" (I paraphrase).

I was trying to explain, to the best of my ability, the original question which was something like "Why doesn't a more powerful amp, at the same volume setting, sound louder than a less powerful amp?"

I would say that the headroom available at 7 or 8 o'clock on an amp should be adequate for almost all situations. But the power/torque analogy comes in here - if your speakers are easy to drive (like a level road) the amp's current capabilty will not really be taxed. But if your speakers are a difficult load (a steep hill) The amp's current delivery will be tested, at suprisingly low listening levels.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Forget about the specifications, forget about the physics. Try out an amp, definitely with your own speakers and preferably in your own room. If you only listen to rock/pop, just play something a bit louder than you ever would in normal circumstances. (most rock/pop recordings seem to be recorded at at least 90% of maximum level for at least 90% of the time). If it sounds alright, it is alright.

With classical, choose a disc with large dynamic contrasts (some solo piano recordings are good for this). While listening to the softest passage in the music, turn up the volume to the loudest you would ever want this to be (try it during the day, with the kids playing upstairs, the washing machine on, etc). Then, without adjusting the volume, play the loudest part of the disc. If this sounds alright, it is alright.

There are so many variables, room acoustics, speaker sensitivity and impedance, the behaviour of the amp as as it reaches its limits, that it's hard to generalise. But I think most of us would be surprised to find that most of the time we are only using a few watts. Suck it and see.

Good luck.

Darrell

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ultrasonic wrote:

Just get a Tri Vista mate!
There are a few for sale on adverts.hififorsale and I'm seriously thinking of travelling into the UK to getme one. It's a great amp todrive Dynaudios.

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
gsrai wrote:

purplepleaser wrote:
Your reverse psychology isn't going to work on me:nup:.Good to here your trying something new.Just may make you realise you were right in the first play.

Lee
Reverse psychology.... moi ....
wink.png

This just sums up my take on the hifi hobby, I just have to try for myself just in case. I reckon the Pathos will blow everything aay and stop this disease I have
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
What i don't understand is the constant desire to change kitGobind! You are nearly as bad as IHB!!

Its the summer, go and enjoy the sun and do other things. Ive been so busy i'd say my music listening has been reduced to about 50% of what it was in the winter!

Theres so much totty strutting around in the outdoors in very skimpy outfits:love:

I suppose when you get old hifi is better than sex:peace:

Try going to the gym, getting a great body is twice as satisfying as changing a power amp, trust me!
allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
ultrasonic wrote:

What i don't understand is the constant desire to change kitGobind! You are nearly as bad as IHB!!

Its the summer, go and enjoy the sun and do other things. Ive been so busy i'd say my music listening has been reduced to about 50% of what it was in the winter!

Theres so much totty strutting around in the outdoors in very skimpy outfits:love:

I suppose when you get old hifi is better than sex:peace:

Try going to the gym, getting a great body is twice as satisfying as changing a power amp, trust me!
allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif
ULTRA - there isn't much I can say to that apart from enjoy it whilst you can young one
. Between the rat race and the family there ain't much left in my 26 hour day so the brief time I get at night to myself I just wanna' chill - hence the hifi as if it annoys me then what's the point of listening (at your age I didn't even have a tape recorder - just an alarm clock/radio honest, no violins please).

Unlike IHB I have changed nothing this year (i've just bought stuff to play with and sell on - apart from the Pathos
- soon be over this chopping and changing lark!). Trust me, if it wasn't hifi it would be cars (got my eye on an S2000 but timing not right) and you lose a lot of money on cars.

Can't argue with the Gym although my local one just went bust
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif

And as for totty, they must breed 'em tough up north as raincoats don't look too skimpy to me but then again my eyes aren't what they used to be :nerd:

But seriously - have as much fun as you can before responsibilities take over (just as enjoyable mind - wouldn't trade 'em in for anything!)

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Ant wrote:

Who told you the GB1's are a difficult load?
The guy at Sugden - he spoke of 90db+ being an appropriate load.

Also, Earl has mentioned that the GB1's like a lot of power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online