Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ooooh, I've missed a good thread here, anyone care to give me a brief synopsis please?
Just cut out pieces of paper. On each, write 'I have a doctorate', 'MP3 is perfect', 'you are an idiot', 'everything sounds the same', 'blah, blah, blah', 'every bit of expensive kit is a rip off', 'Naim are dreadful', etc. Put said pieces of paper into a bag. Shake vigorously, then extract and place in any order you care to. The result will be the same.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't forget "Russell Group University"

Although the Russell Grant and Russell Brand ones are both piss-poor, TBH. :dunno:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We seem to be going around in circles here. I and many others interested in music/hifi can tell the difference between high bitrate MP3 and CD. Given that, our choice is to use CD (or higher quality) data. I and others are not saying it is crap but there is no reason to use it with the cheap cost of data storage so we choose not to. Coming on here and Lording it around with a degree is really arrogance of the first order. There are many others on here with much better qualfications who chose not to shout it out but try to use the persuasion of their arguments rather than an old qualification that may be totally irrelevant to electronics.

I am not a big fan of Naim but regard their dedication to audio and attention to detail most unusual today and with it comes a cost. Their equipment is very well researched, made in the UK and sold through a good network of dealers. Anyone can make a box of electronics that amplifies and get it made very cheaply in China but it will not sound as good as a Naim. In fact for me Naim amps are actually much cheaper than comparable high quality amplifiers. The Karan integrated, the Krell integrated and others are far more expensive. The fact you can't hear a difference is your problem/blessing and you can go off and buy the cheapest amp out there and glory in its reproduction of MP3s. Others have totally different criteria and standards.

If you believe that the Naim mains cable is 'just a kettle lead' then you know very little about the product. You may believe that it is no better than a kettle lead and all the extra care and additional work done on the lead makes no difference to the sound but that is a completely different issue from saying it is the same, it ain't.

And what is a real rip off is some two bit electronics guy operating from a shed who copies the hard work of Naim, makes a cheap sub standard power supply unit, declares it is better and tells everyone how good he is. And you support this rip-off merchant by buying his products.
The only problem here, is falling into the trap old son. 'The oxygen of publicity'...

S

s2000db

Just cut out pieces of paper. On each, write 'I have a doctorate', 'MP3 is perfect', 'you are an idiot', 'everything sounds the same', 'blah, blah, blah', 'every bit of expensive kit is a rip off', 'Naim are dreadful', etc. Put said pieces of paper into a bag. Shake vigorously, then extract and place in any order you care to. The result will be the same.
Yes, but in fairness, there's a slightly different slant to it in this thread... :D

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't forget "Russell Group University"Although the Russell Grant and Russell Brand ones are both piss-poor, TBH. :dunno:
I rather wish my doctorate had come from Russell Grant. Bummer, eh?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Russell Brand is a better bet - you can get a FoD (Doctor of Fornication)

- - - Updated - - -

Russell Hobbs are good as well. :D

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, but in fairness, there's a slightly different slant to it in this thread... :D
Regrettably old pal, there appears not to be. The same old trolling rubbish, the same old arguments, the same old 'nothing makes a difference', and the same old 'I have a PhD you know' added as a footnote.

Plenty here with reasonable academic qualifications. WTF difference does that make? When anyone adds "I have a PhD" to their argument, it's a joke, because it means the argument doesn't stand on its own merit and they somehow think that gives it more weight.

I know what you've got, and you know what I have. It makes utterly no difference to the facts, nor should it.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps writing a thesis is bad for your hearing...
Perhaps pretending to have written one is bad for your public persona :)

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Russell Brand is a better bet - you can get a FoD (Doctor of Fornication)- - - Updated - - -

Russell Hobbs are good as well. :D
Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh. I got a doctorate from Russell Hobbs and Russell Grant. I am two doctors!

- - - Updated - - -

It would have been more prestigious than Fenmarsh polytechnic... :run:
Rats. Found out.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't forget "Russell Group University"Although the Russell Grant and Russell Brand ones are both piss-poor, TBH. :dunno:
I prefer the Russell Brand as more people have heard about him than London Uni.

However, the Russell Hobbs May be more useful as it makes makes a lovely cup of tea, or some toasted crumpets, or irons the gown when another piece of paper is added to the wall. No more money is earnt that way as opposed to the extra found from the nice Russell Grant, Russell Brand unis.

RDD

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2009
Lancashire
"For the love of God, are you a real doctor or a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor? Hmmm?"

Doctor Percival Cox

Series - Scrubs

Episode - My Déjà vu (2006)

Season 5 Episode 22

(Hope that citation will do Rab?)

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"For the love of God, are you a real doctor or a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor? Hmmm?"Doctor Percival Cox

Series - Scrubs

Episode - My Déjà vu (2006)

Season 5 Episode 22

(Hope that citation will do Rab?)
Dr Pepper,

Yum, yum.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Well, that's it then . . . :Tumble: I think judging by the complete lack of any response that I must have finally put the last remaining person on "ignore"...

It may, arguably, not be the wisest business policy - but it will avowedly save on the wear-and-tear to my workbench caused by the repeated purposeful impacts upon it by my forehead.

I'd like to say it's been nice knowing you all.
Workbench :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Upvote
Reactions: bmtell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online