Puritan (mains conditioners!)

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excerpt from Paul Rigby 8/10 review which confirms the positive effect on analogue kit (phono stage and pre):

All kinds of changes occurred when the Puritan entered the frame, the drums emerged from a silent background giving the complex rhythmic drumming a distinct and penetrating effect with oodles of character and oragnic resonance.

Speaking of which, Gray’s voice, such a grainy instrument on its own, benefitted with a reduction of noise, giving his delivery more air and space to manoeuvre. The grains in his voice were almost seperated. You could hear into his voice. That is, the tiny intonations as he sang each word held more information and clarity.

There was also more air and space between the synth and piano, allowing each more elbow room to provide a greater tonal accuracy as the smoother midrange performance provided more ease and flow.

I then attached the supplied power cables to the phono amplifier and pre-amplifier and back to the Puritan. The result was a further reduction in noise and a richer, more mature sound. Sonic strident spots were calmed, clarity was infused into the soundstage while further noise reductions allowed the subtle aspects of the music to be brought forth. Once the gamut of tiny details were visible to the ear, the song itself provided a fuller and busier experience.
Very nicely put.

WorldSounds

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 16, 2012
South East, north of London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nicely put.

Another happy PSM 156 user here.

I bought this to try to see whether it might work in my system compared to the previous Wireworld Matrix 2 I was using. I know there are many sceptics, but for me I perceived a difference in sound quality, and a positive one.

Difficult to decide on value for money on these type of changes but overall I think it's worthwhile and decided to keep it. There are many reviews and users out there, and compared to some of the higher end kit it seems to be fair value for good engineering.

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Difficult to decide on value for money on these type of changes but overall I think it's worthwhile and decided to keep it. There are many reviews and users out there, and compared to some of the higher end kit it seems to be fair value for good engineering.
For me, that is the easy part. There are many much more expensive conditioners that yes might fix one thing...say DC ingest...but the cost of that can be dynamics and soundstage flattening...this unit blocks DC and lowers noise floor, but not at the cost of sound quality...so for me £1450 is not too bad.

WorldSounds

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 16, 2012
South East, north of London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, that is the easy part. There are many much more expensive conditioners that yes might fix one thing...say DC ingest...but the cost of that can be dynamics and soundstage flattening...this unit blocks DC and lowers noise floor, but not at the cost of sound quality...so for me £1450 is not too bad.
Thanks MusicMan, fully agree. I have tried another conditioner that made some improvements but definitely affected the soundstage - lived with for some time but noticed on changing. The Puritan has the advantage of cleaning up the mains noise without that impact while improving overall quality.

Mr Brett

New Wammer
Oct 18, 2016
Didn't realise I'd signed up many years ago. Certainly makes commenting easier.

I have a persistent and annoying hum from the transformer of my amp.
Had it recapped last year, and the technician said:
"What hum?"

Tried the Audiolab DC Block. This reduced the hum, but it wasn't eliminated.

Ordered a PSM156 last week, including an Ultimate cable.
Keen to get receive it, burn it in, and listen for changes!

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't realise I'd signed up many years ago. Certainly makes commenting easier.

I have a persistent and annoying hum from the transformer of my amp.
Had it recapped last year, and the technician said:
"What hum?"

Tried the Audiolab DC Block. This reduced the hum, but it wasn't eliminated.

Ordered a PSM156 last week, including an Ultimate cable.
Keen to get receive it, burn it in, and listen for changes!
How did this end up?

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just bought a PM156 and a Groundmaster a week or so back.Actually have PM156 plugged into the high current output of a PS Audio P5 regenerator. One of the best upgrades I have ever made. Using a PS Audio Direcstream DAC and Mark Levinson power amps. The difference in the noise floor and dynamics is noticeable within the first few seconds. Get one.
If you have a regenerator, why would you plug in another mains purifier?

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree. I have the PSM156 too but the Audio Consultants version along with the top of the range mains cable.
I have it with the Schuko sockets. Sound better than the UK plugs

Reactions: philb36

Vhond

New Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
Totally agree regarding Class A. Similar findings in the past with Sugden. A decent solidly made mains block or straight into the wall with a decent well made mains cable is best. Taking nothing away from Puritan, they do make a sonic difference on other components and more so with class A/B designs. I did try one on the Primare amp I had on loan (Class D) and not so good.
Other people may add to this but that was my findings.
Once my Exposure kit is complete, I’ll run the mono’s on the Puritans and report back.
I cannot comment on the Puritan mains block however.
So your experiences/thoughts are use it for Class A/B amplifiers but not for Class A or D?
And what about sources (like using it in front of a DAC or streamer)?

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used my Luxman Class A amp (L550AXII) with the Puritan mains block I had and it did not enhance the sound at all. I really prefer the Luxman plugged straight into the wall.

Not tried a Class A/B amp with it.

As for digital components the improvements were very apparent.

Reactions: hifinutt

MusicMan76

Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used my Luxman Class A amp (L550AXII) with the Puritan mains block I had and it did not enhance the sound at all. I really prefer the Luxman plugged straight into the wall.

Not tried a Class A/B amp with it.

As for digital components the improvements were very apparent.
That is interesting - I do get some DC leakage via my mains, so do need that treated as it starves any transformer based amp from performing optimally. I have an Audia Flight FLS10 and I did notice a big improvement with the Puritan. I think the FLS10 is Class A.

Reactions: HouseElf

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've noticed that my power amp doesn't benefit as much as other components to an improved mains cable. Maybe that's why the Puritan doesn't help as much with power amps too although it does DC block so that'll help if you have problems with DC

Vhond

New Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
That's what my underlying thought was (= power amps don't have that much improvement with power filtering as other components have)

MusicMan76

Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think any device you can use to help lower the ingest of noise has to be a good thing (so long as they don't rob the system of dynamics). So the Puritan will help with your Hi Fi devices cleaning up the power, but also things like linear power supplies for streamers and switches etc help. Personally I use SOtM switch/master reclocker and this lowers the ingest of noise from my BT supplier router...really improves micro dynamics in a recording....I really notice it with Pink Floyd albums....

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So your experiences/thoughts are use it for Class A/B amplifiers but not for Class A or D?
And what about sources (like using it in front of a DAC or streamer)?
I found that class A (Sugden) was less susceptible to upgraded cables and in some cases, degraded the sound. Class D often hardened the sound or was more susceptible to change. Class A/B is/was in line with my expectations.
Not tried them on sources yet.

Vhond

New Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
I found that class A (Sugden) was less susceptible to upgraded cables and in some cases, degraded the sound. Class D often hardened the sound or was more susceptible to change. Class A/B is/was in line with my expectations.
Not tried them on sources yet.
In what way was Class D more susceptible to change (other than hardening the sound)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online