Random Speaker Advice

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have to agree with @Beobloke Kans powered by Arcam is not an ideal match and would lead to some very difficult to listen to sounds . Kef 103 MK 1 , Kef 104b , would work well and sound very decent indeed .

Reactions: DomT and Beobloke

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Dali Zensor on eBay are great speakers and probably not far from you ..
How much room have they got .

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Those Tannoys are a real bargain I think. £280 for a speaker that was £899, which in itself was a bargain.

1675164960976.png
I think WHF got the heading info. wrong there. Firstly at £1899 it wouldn't fit in the price range of the award category, and secondly because the actual review suggests a price of £800:

https://www.whathifi.com/tannoy/revolution-dc6t/review-0

Here's an old webpage with a price of £849 too:

https://www.hifix.co.uk/tannoy-revolution-dc6t-speakers

The speakers may well still be amazing (or rubbish) but potentially not quite the bargain suggested?

Reactions: dhansak

dhansak

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 24, 2021
Edinburgh
www.danielwebb.online
AKA
danaudio
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think WHF got the heading info. wrong there. Firstly at £1899 it wouldn't fit in the price range of the award category, and secondly because the actual review suggests a price of £800:

The speakers may well still be amazing (or rubbish) but potentially not quite the bargain suggested?
Spotted that just before you posted and corrected my post.

Reactions: MartinC

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes Kef 104ab if they are the speakers that @Lurch uses in his second system.
Yep 104ab in system 2 fed via 80s Cambridge C50/A50 pre & pwr + DNM Reson SCs

Reactions: DomT

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have to agree with @Beobloke Kans powered by Arcam is not an ideal match and would lead to some very difficult to listen to sounds . Kef 103 MK 1 , Kef 104b , would work well and sound very decent indeed .
To clarify, I'm not suggesting that Kans are a bad combination with Arcam in particular.

More that Kans are a bad combination with any amplifier that has the ability to produce any sort of voltage on its outputs.

;)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To further clarify my comment I am not like @Beobloke saying that Kans are rubbish but I will say I have never heard them sound even remotely decent to my ears but this was a quite limited sample of two pairs in different systems . A decent Naim amp or Exposure model might well make the best of them but my only experience was with a Quad 44/405 which was dreadful in all areas and a Beard 100 Valve Power with passive pre which was better but still left much to be desired . I would also point out that I have Linn Sara 9,s in one of my systems which I really love and will be showing them if given a room at the next Wam show . I am not anti Linn but do think the Kans were just about their worst model . Others seemed to love them so it just goes to show .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

"Take a five-star, £1400 pair of floorstanding speakers, cut down on the aesthetic niceties and limit it to one choice of finish, then slash £600 off the price."
These are different version.

The stand mount version were around £900 and did sound quite good to me, although a bit laid-back.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, 2 pages of recommendations in and no-one has yet asked the fundamental questions about room dimensions, speaker positioning relative to listening position, music preferences etc.

All going to make a significant difference in speaker choice I would have thought.

Case in point, Linn Kans in the right position and room can sound great. Absolute necessity to have them on open frame stands right up against the wall. But being so fussy presumably has a lot to do with the poor impressions many have with them.

Reactions: Cool Dude Ted

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, 2 pages of recommendations in and no-one has yet asked the fundamental questions about room dimensions, speaker positioning relative to listening position, music preferences etc.

All going to make a significant difference in speaker choice I would have thought.

Case in point, Linn Kans in the right position and room can sound great. Absolute necessity to have them on open frame stands right up against the wall. But being so fussy presumably has a lot to do with the poor impressions many have with them.
For every example there is a counter-example...I am reminded of the room at the Stoke show that was way too small to swing a cat but had a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls shoe-horned into it. There was just about enough left for 3 or 4 listeners, maybe 5 or 6 if they were good friends. Sounded absolutely stunning.

Reactions: deggie and JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aye, you never can tell, really.

Those big Cornwalls sounded amazing in what was basically a largish cupboard.

I'm currently listening to the 1/5th cubic foot B&O CX100 speakers I recommended in a 12x24 foot room and they sound great.

Reactions: Tony_J and deggie

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aye, you never can tell, really.

Those big Cornwalls sounded amazing in what was basically a largish cupboard.

I'm currently listening to the 1/5th cubic foot B&O CX100 speakers I recommended in a 12x24 foot room and they sound great.
Zackly. The golden rule is that there is no golden rule.

Reactions: TIU

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For every example there is a counter-example...I am reminded of the room at the Stoke show that was way too small to swing a cat but had a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls shoe-horned into it. There was just about enough left for 3 or 4 listeners, maybe 5 or 6 if they were good friends. Sounded absolutely stunning.
Fair point, although as someone pointed out to me recently, apparently the reason Klipsch named that speaker the Cornwall, is because it has been designed to be positioned close to corners and walls. So not as surprising as one might first think.

Reactions: DomT and Tony_J

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fair point, although as someone pointed out to me recently, apparently the reason Klipsch named that speaker the Cornwall, is because it has been designed to be positioned close to corners and walls. So not as surprising as one might first think.
I thought it was because they play loud enough to cover the entirety of Cornwall....:ROFLMAO:

Sounded excellent at Stoke - hopefully if Ady feels like dragging them to the show this year he can have a room big enough to do them full justice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.