Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2008
Timperley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
Hi folks,

I am after some advice /recommendation for a small car for my wife to use for work which involves a lot of short trips in traffic/town, so after a reliable car with low mileage.

From a budget perspective, my absolute maximum is £6000 and I have looked at used cars in this price range and Kia Rios seem good value for money as I can get 2010 reg cars for less than £6000 and the 7 year warranty seems good. A Kio rio seems okay space wise (for car seats) for picking up and dropping my kids (infant and toddler at nursery etc).

Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris,Ford Fiesta and VW Polo are more expensive for a 2010 reg and Hyundai I20 is slightly more expensive than the Kia Rio.

Are there any other cars you can recommend for my price range and requirements? Any reasons to not go for a Kia rio?

P

Pelagic

Aygo 4 door. Cheap. Reliable.

Or wait a few months and get a recent skoda city go, based on the vw up! Platform, looks to be a quality small car based on first reviews.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Aygo / C1 / 107 all well and good til you buy more than two bags of shopping on the way home

I'm a big fan of the new panda, but haven't owned one so cannot vouch for maintainance etc

The new VAG mini - Up / Citigo / Mii looks very nice IMHO

If you need something bigger then a 1.4 Kia Wenga with the big warranty is attractive

Frankly, there are loads to choose from, it's a well developed segment with plenty of nice options

- - - Updated - - -

Should add that the Aygo / C1 / 107 is not as reliable as you'd hope given it's toyota underpinnings, plus servicing parts are not as cheap as you'd think for a small car

- - - Updated - - -

Soz, being a div - you'll not get a Venga within budget :doh: Look at the Rio

- - - Updated - - -

This new update feature is very canny

G

Have a look at the Mitsubishi Colt, strong car and good to drive, plenty of space, boot not that big though.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi folks,I am after some advice /recommendation for a small car for my wife to use for work which involves a lot of short trips in traffic/town, so after a reliable car with low mileage.

From a budget perspective, my absolute maximum is £6000 and I have looked at used cars in this price range and Kia Rios seem good value for money as I can get 2010 reg cars for less than £6000 and the 7 year warranty seems good. A Kio rio seems okay space wise (for car seats) for picking up and dropping my kids (infant and toddler at nursery etc).

Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris,Ford Fiesta and VW Polo are more expensive for a 2010 reg and Hyundai I20 is slightly more expensive than the Kia Rio.

Are there any other cars you can recommend for my price range and requirements? Any reasons to not go for a Kia rio?
I think you've picked the best car.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In-town driving and dropping the kids off? Sounds like you need a Discovery...

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We've had a little 107 for about 18 months now - bought it for the exact same thing as you, 2 young kids (one aged 7, the other 18 months) and it fits the bill perfectly. The boot is small - yes - but if you want a bigger boot buy a bigger car. A McLaren-type buggy will fit in the boot no problem though. I'm 6'3" and am perfectly comfy driving it, plenty of room. Handles well too in a 'skinny tyres make it fun' sort of fashion. In the winter snow it was hilarious. :D

When we were looking at getting this car I spent a lot of time test-driving, checking out deals etc and don't regret getting the 107. £20/year road tax too.

If I was doing it again though I'd go with the Hyundai i10 - this was easily the best to drive of all these tiddlers, great fun. In fact Hyundai are producing some bloody good cars now. :)

kendun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2008
Timperley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
Cheers Richard, Will have a look at a Hyundai I10 as well. I had crossed off I10 since I thought it was too small, will have a look :)

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
wifes got a hyundai 120 ... 2years old now ,not missed a beat,.........or 110 might suit, they have got there act together now,

quality..and,,,reliability.

pfc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 30, 2011
Eskbank, Midlothian
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a kia venga as a hire car over the last 2 days. Might be fine at 30 mph, but the most unconvincing handling on M25, A roads etc if the surface is not completely flat.

Just my view.

Sent from the commode in my listening room.

kendun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2008
Timperley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
wifes got a hyundai 120 ... 2years old now ,not missed a beat,.........or 110 might suit, they have got there act together now,quality..and,,,reliability.
Cheers Keith

- - - Updated - - -

I had a kia venga as a hire car over the last 2 days. Might be fine at 30 mph, but the most unconvincing handling on M25, A roads etc if the surface is not completely flat.Just my view.

Sent from the commode in my listening room.
wouldn't be looking at motorway driving with this car, thank you for your input - realised that a venga will be out of my budget.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wifes got a hyundai 120 ... 2years old now ,not missed a beat,.........or 110 might suit, they have got there act together now,quality..and,,,reliability.
True - the new i30 looks particularly interesting too. A friend of ours owns an older shaped (2yr old) i30 and loves it - it's a 1.4 petrol which may appear on paper to be under-powered but it's such a smooth and willing little engine it's actually a seriously nippy car. Chain-cam drive too. :)

Hyundai - get one now whilst they're still (relatively) cheap. More and more people will start to realise how good they've become and prices will start to rise.

Should've have mentioned re the 107 - the fuel consumption isn't great. Sure if you drive everywhere sub-3000rpm with a very light foot (holding up cyclists in the process) then it'll be frugal but to keep up with traffic or make progress then you have to rag the spuds off the poor thing. Mid-to-high 40's mpg at best. Still, that little 3-pot motor sounds quite nice - a bit like a tiny 911. And it'll do nearly 90mph in 3rd gear. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online