no need to spend much more

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
If you don't need 4 seats Smart cars are a hoot. The new style ones can be had for well under 6k now and belie their size - I had an older style Brabus coupe (the upright one, not the sporty go-kart one) and it was simply one of the best cars I've owned. Put more miles on it (motorway too, including a few very long drives abroad) than any car I've had. Loads of space inside, a big boot area too (far more than the Aygos of this world) and great performance. You could pick up a Pulse Cdi for around 6k and it'll cost very little to run.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love mine, nippy, a load of fun and reliable to boot. Its my second one, I've hauled big chunks of hifi up and down the country as with the passenger seat down its roomier than you'd think. Including one run from Bolton to Brentwood Essex and back in one evening! Must put some oil in it! :shock:

kendun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2008
Timperley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
Hi Chris,

I do remember the trip to Scalford in your Smart car a couple of years ago :)

Need four seats for dropping kids at the nursery etc so a smart car would not be feasible.

hope you are keeping well.

Regards

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fiat Panda is just what you need and can be got for much less than £6000.

Just got myself a SEAT Mii, fabulous little car but just a bit above your budget.

florette69

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Fiat Panda is just what you need and can be got for much less than £6000.
I was wondering when someone would make that suggestion. I've used one as my daily driver for four years and it's been great. Happy on motorways too: we've used it for family holidays - three people, two bikes, lotsa bags, still returns 60mpg. Recently bought an 'old' model with delivery mileage from a main dealer for my mother well within your budget.

kendun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2008
Timperley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
I was wondering when someone would make that suggestion. I've used one as my daily driver for four years and it's been great. Happy on motorways too: we've used it for family holidays - three people, two bikes, lotsa bags, still returns 60mpg. Recently bought an 'old' model with delivery mileage from a main dealer for my mother well within your budget.
a bit nervous about a Fiat Panda as I remember reading some advice against buying French/Italian cars etc, think it was a while ago on the wam - will have a look at reviews and prices. Thank you.

yesnogame

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2010
London
AKA
Matt
Never ever no matter what anybody says, get a VW Golf.

I have had three and all were what can only be described as 'haunted'.

And with the exception of the MK1 they look well shit.

florette69

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2006
Shropshire, UK
a bit nervous about a Fiat Panda as I remember reading some advice against buying French/Italian cars etc, think it was a while ago on the wam - will have a look at reviews and prices. Thank you.
Having owned examples of both over the years I would say there is a big difference between French and Italian cars, in favour of Fiat. Basic cars are basic cars, but the Panda is a cut above most in this sector. And of course, the old shape model was not built in Italy if that's a concern. I've driven 62000 miles in my diseasel Panda, and I don't hang about. No issues at all.

kendun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2008
Timperley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
Having owned examples of both over the years I would say there is a big difference between French and Italian cars, in favour of Fiat. Basic cars are basic cars, but the Panda is a cut above most in this sector. And of course, the old shape model was not built in Italy if that's a concern. I've driven 62000 miles in my diseasel Panda, and I don't hang about. No issues at all.
Thank you.

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
I'm looking out for a 1.5 diesel auto Smart Forfour myself.This after a 2 Lexus LS400s!
I've got the manual 95cdi and its a great car. Punchy engine, very reliable and economical. Make sure any auto has had the update done on the gearbox, other than that there's not a lot to go wrong with the Merc engine and Mitsubishi running gear. Mine's done 140k and I'm hoping to get to 200k with it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

P

purplepleaser

A bit older but my Audi A2tdi is great, mines a 02 plate and just had a couple sensors and the usual running costs. Done nearly 90000 and still getting 50 plus mpg on my daily 20 mile round trip to work and driving through the horrible Metrolink works. 35 quid a year to tax. Comfy roomy and well just a good car. Well I think so away.

grimep

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2009
Surrey, United Kingd
AKA
Graham
This years JD Power/What Car survey had the following..

City cars...

1 Toyota iQ

2 VW Fox

3 Toyota Aygo

4 Fiat 500

5 Smart FourTwo

6 Hyundai i10

Ka, Alto, Matiz and Pixo brought up the rear.

Superminis:

1 Honda Jazz

2= Nissan Note

2= Skoda Fabia

4 Toyota yaris

5 Alfa Mito

6 VW Polo

7 Fiesta

in the hall of shame were the Corsa, Colt, Grande Punto and Clio.

These are consumer-oriented results and not necessarily indicative of the best car, just the most satisfied customers. Me, I'd be looking at a Fabia or a Fiesta.

S

Sprockens

Love mine, nippy, a load of fun and reliable to boot. Its my second one, I've hauled big chunks of hifi up and down the country as with the passenger seat down its roomier than you'd think. Including one run from Bolton to Brentwood Essex and back in one evening! Must put some oil in it! :shock:
Does it need some?

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Just got Mrs. JB a used Renault Modus 1.5 DCI Dynamique. Lots of room and sliding/folding rear seats, drove up to Edinburgh and back last week, very comfortable drive, the seats are really supportive, very quiet and averaged 64 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles