Resolution Audio Cantata MC

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
Well here we go, I have been asked to do a review of my fairly new Cantata so here goes.

I am not an inveterate box swapper, I tend to have a blitz of updating every now and again. The last was in the mid 90s and I devoted the best part of a year to listening to stuff before making my choice. Generally, I don't believe much in reviewer's opinions, but they can be a guide to what may be worth listening to.

OTOH there have been interesting distractions in my past, going to listen to much praised Spendor BC1s and leaving with Nightingale 0.5s being the start of it.

This journey started when I bought a Wadia 170i, so that I could do non-critical listening conveniently from the ALAC files on my iPod.

I have travelled all the time for my work for the last 35 years and had been an iPod owner since the beginning, having pre-ordered the original. It was -such- a breakthrough after carrying a briefcase full of cassettes, then CDs and batteries.

Anyway my iPod, via the Wadia, into my Goldmund Mimesis 20 convertor sounded quite good, so I started looking into streaming/computer based audio on the net.

Getting carried away a bit I started listening to a few alternatives. These were the Weiss DAC2, Sonic Model 4 (thanks Keith), Linn Klimax DS, Prism Orpheus and the Resolution Audio Cantata. When I first looked into it 2 items which were not yet available appealed. The Cantata and Ayre DX5. I contacted the importers and asked for a demo when available. It is a year now since I started listening, I got the Cantata as soon as it was available but the Ayre only became available for audition recently so it was too late...

Anyway, the first I listened to was the Weiss, in retrospect perhaps I did not run it in long enough, but I found the sound a bit hard, listening in the evening and good listening in the daytime. Keith proposed listening to the Amarra/Sonic model 4, which was a small but clear improvement, not grainy with wide frequency response and neither accentuated nor missing tonal regions. The Prism was similar but not quite so clear. The Linn revealed more low level detail, and had a more spacious stereo image but sounded "slow". The system Linn have chosen, using a NAS with UpNP software was also too clunky and prone to crashing to be a serious contender for a home stereo system, IMO, particularly at the price.

The Cantata had the wide accurate frequency response of the Sonic model 4 (same as Metric Halo LIO8), better stereo imagery, particularly depth, than the Linn, accurately revealed the most low level detail, such as piano pedal noise which were audible on he other DACs, but -much- more clear and recognisable on the Cantata. It is also fast, and dynamic, crucial for me.

For information, I listen to 75% classical music and am medium agnostic. My experience makes it clear that there is massively bigger difference between the recordings than media they are distributed on, for example I have heard sublime music on the FM radio, despite its 14bit 32kHz digital pipeline. Awful sounding vinyl, despite fabulous performances (the da Capo Furtwangler Beethoven 9th). Both brilliant and distorted raucous CDs and so forth.

Whilst there are a few high rez recordings appearing, few are of music/performances I wish to listen to...

One other benefit of the Cantata is that as well as being a supreme USB DAC for streaming, it is also a red book player. After all this dicking, I do not find streaming from the computer as convenient as just going to the rack, choosing a CD and putting it on.

So perhaps all I have done in the end is bought another CD player.

The sound I am getting today is, for my taste, the best I have heard anywhere, so I am pretty happy.

cheers,

Frank

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
"The sound I am getting today is, for my taste, the best I have heard anywhere, so I am pretty happy."

That's what it's all about!

Sit back and enjoy!

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
RRP is £5999, I haven't taken any pictures but I love the styling personally.

I may well try my first posted picture soon!

cheers.

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
Well, I've taken some pix but can not find a way to post them. The image folder mentioned in the FAQ appears not to behave in the user CP anywhere. Sorry

IanS

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2006
, , United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
As a Linn Akurate owner wanting more, this sounds very interesting.

My NAS setup is actually quite stable on UPnP and it seems the Ethernet input will accept data straight from the NAS, so it sounds ideal. Especially given the multi source possibilities.

You may have just cost me quite a bit of cash Frank. Well, 6 large anyway.

Need to find a dealer in the North now.

M

mr.gregdee

Sad thing is that - it is not really ready to use UPnp . I have it now at home on demo and a streaming abbilities are sad like a life with a computer constantly switched on .

Point neuf on my set up in not able to hold streaming more than 15 seconds without brake .Anyone had any experience with it since Frank started this tread ?

Frank I already PM'ed you looking for some help with this unit - hope to hear from you

It is very good cdp anyway ,but I am not looking for another cdp .

cheers

greg

IanS

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2006
, , United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
I understood it was waiting for an upgrade to the processor.

Perhaps just not enough power to run streaming at this time.

I was waiting for contact re a dem when it was able and had been upgraded. Supposedly this was to be a couple of months ago, but no word.

How is it as a DAC, albeit a very expensive one?

I heard the new Linn Klimax DS in my system and was very impressed, but maybe not quite for me, both sound and cost influencing. The Klimax is incredibly detailed and layered etc, but that is a tale for another thread.

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
I understood it was waiting for an upgrade to the processor.Perhaps just not enough power to run streaming at this time.

I was waiting for contact re a dem when it was able and had been upgraded. Supposedly this was to be a couple of months ago, but no word.

How is it as a DAC, albeit a very expensive one?

I heard the new Linn Klimax DS in my system and was very impressed, but maybe not quite for me, both sound and cost influencing. The Klimax is incredibly detailed and layered etc, but that is a tale for another thread.
Whatever update is due is coming later this summer, apparently.

In my system I preferred the Cantata as a DAC to the twice-as-expensive Klimax DS. And it has a CD slot too...

The Cantata is beautifully made and, since the box and the power supplies are the most expensive part of a hifi product of this type the beautifully CNCed box and 4 independent linear power supplies make it better value than most competing products IMO.

M

mr.gregdee

Whatever update is due is coming later this summer, apparently.In my system I preferred the Cantata as a DAC to the twice-as-expensive Klimax DS. And it has a CD slot too...

The Cantata is beautifully made and, since the box and the power supplies are the most expensive part of a hifi product of this type the beautifully CNCed box and 4 independent linear power supplies make it better value than most competing products IMO.
Ian -I agree with Frank here completely- Cantata is better ,cheaper and more versalite being a cdp as well ( and very good pre either if you not using any analog inputs ).

Linn Klimax in not only much more expensive ,but also not such nice build in a case of PS design. I love original Klimax design . It is honestly the first thing ever which came from linn not looking like a boring gray crapy box.

However not any longer - they upgrading original Klimax now ,and after that they stilling lovely box ( you paid fortune before for )from you and sending you back your Klimax upgraded guts in ugly coffin like black box - AKA ARCAM in nighnties .Neew Klimax sounded to my ears a bit reacher and smooth than original one , but still dry - typical digital linn house sound . The only Linn I like I am affraid is a vinyl one :)

Another thing is that there is no digi output with Linn ,so you are forced to stick up with Wolfson DAC. If you like it that's good ,but you can get better from Sneaky conected to Twisted Pear DIY SAbre chip based dac you may build for your self for roughly 600 ,so no sense to buy Klimax. Anyway you can build such an output to Linn - my mate did it so it is possible ,but again - no point doing it if you can go cheaper and better.

I thinik I will wait for rs to write a proper script for UPnp cliients ,otherway this device is not quite that what they promise it is .

Hope that it helps a little . Frank sorry for hi jacking your tread ,hope you do not care :^

IanS

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2006
, , United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
Last Linn hijack from me, sorry again for intrusion.

The upgraded Klimax board comes back in your box, your old board is in the coffin box. The new board/unit sounds very different from the old, and is very impressive. Dry is the word I was looking for though.

Back on topic, I very much like the look and design of the Cantata and it is still on my list.

Nicknick

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 18, 2011
Germany
AKA
Martin
Hi everybody,

it's nice to find a discussion about the Cantata MC! I bought one three weeeks ago and I'm very happy with this wonderful peace. Now I listen to music I have never heard before. When I was just about to buy the Cantata, I called Resolution Audio and asked Jeff Kalt, the developer, about the future of the Cantata MC. According to Jeff, late this year the USB-input will be upgraded to USB 2.0 192/24 asynchronus mode. Jeff also stated, that the software-update to enable upnp will come next year.

Greetings

Martin

IanS

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2006
, , United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
I recontacted the importer and was promised the demo unit for the week after.

No contact came.

I borrowed a PSAudio PerfectWave DAC with bridge and have been very impressed. It has bass and musicality through the bridge that neither Linn unit had. It is less money than the Akurate and Cantata (although to give it the CD unit as well brings it to the same price point as the Cantata). The Bridge works well on Upnp.

I would have liked to hear the Cantata but patience wore thin and the PSAudio did what I wanted so I ordered one. Waiting for stock, but loaning the demo unit from a very nice dealer in Stockton.

M

mr.gregdee

Hi everybody,it's nice to find a discussion about the Cantata MC! I bought one three weeeks ago and I'm very happy with this wonderful peace. Now I listen to music I have never heard before. When I was just about to buy the Cantata, I called Resolution Audio and asked Jeff Kalt, the developer, about the future of the Cantata MC. According to Jeff, late this year the USB-input will be upgraded to USB 2.0 192/24 asynchronus mode. Jeff also stated, that the software-update to enable upnp will come next year.

Greetings

Martin
Hi Martin

Welcome in the Wigwam :-D , first

That's why I gave up buying it .Will see what gonna happen in the future.

Last time I checked out they promised upnp compatibility end of August this year.

Anyway - overall sound quality for the money is good ( I mean pre + dac + transport in one piece )

and really nice build quality to complete .

Looking forward to hear other warmers experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles