Roksan

Wilfsgothorns

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2015
Ive had a roksan caspian mk1 for maybe 15 years was thinking of a stage 1 upgrade will this make a difference for £300ish

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What is a stage 1 rebuild?

I still use a mk 1 Caspian in my office system (that I have owned from new) and it sounds as good as the day it came out of the box. I wouldn't do anything to my amp, other than have it serviced when the need arises.

What difference do you hope it might make? What is it about the Caspian makes you think it needs upgrading?

joleyami

Warmer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2014
Cornwall
AKA
Mike
I rate the original Caspian very highly, but apparently the M1 type is slightly more powerful and apparently sounds better.

It would be interesting to know what the Stage 1 rebuild is.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In addition to the original Caspian I still have, I have had an M-1 series integrated and an M-2 series in my main system. The M1 whilst was more powerful than the original, I didn't keep it for long. The M2 is a very different amp, produces lovely music with plenty of power, but I found it a tad clinical for my taste.

In my opinion neither the M-1 or M-2 Caspians produce music with the same level of liquidity and lusciousness than the original Caspian. Which is why the original has stayed and the others all eventually went.

Wilfsgothorns

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2015
Stage 1 upgrade starts with capacitors & changing the wiring. Then price goes up for stage 2. With coils & diodes. Dont think it is worth it by stage 3 its fully overhauled using the best parts.but probably could buy a new cd player

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

joleyami

Warmer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2014
Cornwall
AKA
Mike
Oh, its a CD player.

I found my Caspian nice and smooth sounding, but I think many modern players may be better for less money.

I would forget the upgrades and audition some new players.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:doh: I thought the OP was talking about an amp............

Soloist

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2011
Rutland
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got a KA-1 Mk 111 on second system duty in the office.  Bought to replace my Arcam Delta 11 whilst I get round to a repair (output relay suspected). 

Refined sound but I miss the grunt of the Arcam! 

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's been a Roksan thread for years Jonathan - which university did you go to chap  :)
The Wam's search facility is a bit crap :)  

Lovely deck mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's been a Roksan thread for years Jonathan - which university did you go to chap  :)
The Wam's search facility is a bit crap :)  

Lovely deck mate.
I searched the entire section! Couldn’t find one.. Shame they can’t merge the two 

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fell in love with the sound of a Kandy Mk 111 combo years ago, then bought Kandy K2's- I never really settled with those though

I now have Roksan Caspian M2 and Roksan Oxygene amp's ..very nice

Camelost

Camelost
New Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
Grimsby
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which of the two Roksan M2 and Oxygene would you keep if you were to forego one as main listening room am? I'm trying to decide between two, both at around a grand both and ex-dem units. Your help would be very much appreciated

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which of the two Roksan M2 and Oxygene would you keep if you were to forego one as main listening room am? I'm trying to decide between two, both at around a grand both and ex-dem units. Your help would be very much appreciated
M2... wider market appeal and imo, sounds better. The Oxygen series is more like a lifestyle product and having heard them, not overly convinced but ask if you can try both at home. 

Camelost

Camelost
New Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
Grimsby
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
M2... wider market appeal and imo, sounds better. The Oxygen series is more like a lifestyle product and having heard them, not overly convinced but ask if you can try both at home. 
Thanks I did manage briefly audition both amps in a demo room. The M2 looked wonderful while the Oxygene looked like something else, literally. Apparently theyd both been used a few times for Demonstration purposes, hardly informative but sufficient given the circumstances of a hurriedly organised visit. 

Obvious appeal from looks alone disappeared with faster Oxygene accelerating away leaving the M2 admiring the beauty of its reflection in the space left on the rack and buffed to a shine by the now gone and in better control Oxygene out in front. When M2 got closer with a deeper lower grunt it was beaten by the sweetness of the cymbal and the pacier hi-hat patterns painted by Oxygene. M2 really struggled with the high frequencies where the Oxygene excelled and reached a crescendo that M2 couldn't reach, losing match with a weaker brash crash.

Absolutely agree with the lifestyle unit appearance, raised on its four feet it far more resembled a drone 'copter with the propeller removed than an amplifier. Perhaps too expensive for that market but does seem that was the target. Quite likely missing that target is main reason it hit bullseye for me, eventually picking up a brand new Oxygene for half the price of £2000 asked for M2 in same condition. 

Gets better too, improved in all possible ways in the short time I've had it and probably matches, if not surpasses the M2's initially impressive bass

Understandably not an attractive proposition for many, is an absolute bargain for a buyer with the ever present need for reservation when financing even this low price. I couldn't swear that the discount too was as low a consideration in the final decision as I'd like to think. 

If I could have either at the same price i would still choose to head home with a nice but more ordinary looking amplifier than the surely belongs somewhere else look I've got at the top of the rack

Cheers

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very difficult decision. I ought to sell one actually but I am torn - the M2 does just edge it on detail and soundstage, whereas the Oxygene has an easier warmer sound which is very endearing. Of course i'm also biaised on the Oxygene looks, and the bluetooth is fantastic

Its like trying to choose between two great girlfriends....

Camelost

Camelost
New Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
Grimsby
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree, nice decision to have though, given fact you have both, the girlfriends bit is not something I've any experience of at all so couldn't comment, not only two but both nice. My gawd what a choice? Amps also but they're far less expensive and likely more.appealing, in the long term. Dilemma indeed

I did forget however to ask if you get any vibration noise from the Oxygene? Not amplified just from the unit itself, is the one reason for any annoyance I have really, possibly normal but from say ten feet or so is audible in a quiet room, I wonder if i’m alone in this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.