Round earth/Flat earth?

S

stereo70

I remember many years ago people used to say this quite a lot, I think it was over on the ZeroGain forums, what was that all about then?

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have thought anyone who could remember the earth being flat would be dead now.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not specific to ZeroGain it is used pretty much everywhere, except that round earth doesn't get used much as it is not so specific and tends to mean everything that isn't flat earth

The philosophy of Linn/Naim is flat earth, those who use their products are 'flat earthers'.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never entirely understood this, I would have thought this was not a title Linn or Naim gave themselves because it seems to be very negative.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was originally coined at the time when digital audio, i.e. CD first became available, for those who preferred LP playback over CD. They persisted in saying the LP was better than CD, much as those who persisted in saying the earth was flat well after it was shown quite clearly not to be.

As I recall, it was some Pro-CD Dealers who described the anti-CD fraternity as flat-earthers. One or two magazines picked up the term. All this happened in around 1984-6.

S

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never entirely understood this, I would have thought this was not a title Linn or Naim gave themselves because it seems to be very negative.
Who said they gave it to themselves? :D

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Didn't there used to be a magazine called "The Flat Earth" or something like that, catering to Linn/Naimees?

I may even have subscribed but as nowadays I'm thinking of changing my name to Al, that's Al Zeimer, I can't be sure.

• Upvote
Reactions: johnniebaby

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say it was a philosophy ascribed to them rather than a Linn/Naim philosophy in that case! ;-)
You are probably right, but if you are going to get called names it isn't the worst by a long chalk.

Now if the Wam had been involved .............

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason for that is down to a flat cable having sharp edges, so the field strength at the edges is higher than elsewhere giving an unbalance between the currents in the other conductors. The best way of countering that is to use a blunt stylus as that will cause a corresponding quantum distortion in the flux field surrounding the cantilever which will restore the equanimity of the positron flow.

Simple really, when you think about it fully.

S

• Upvote
Reactions: meninblack
S

stereo70

Brilliant, I've just filed the tip of my stylus flat with a rasp and with the use of a 3Lb ball hammer, hammered all my cables flat also, I love these free upgrades, they are usually the best bang for buck you can get.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I remember many years ago people used to say this quite a lot, I think it was over on the ZeroGain forums, what was that all about then?
Agree with Serge on the origins of the term, though it morphed a little into those focused on the whole PRaT thing as opposed to those more concerned with tonality an imaging.

In terms of forums, back in the day Zerogain was seen as the home of the round earth brigade, with pfm the main home for the flat earth lot following changes to the Naim forum which prompted a few to leave.

I think there is far less polarisation today with most folk realising that it doesn't have to be a choice between two opposing ways of reproducing music.

Johnboi

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Melbourne Australia
AKA
John
Agree with Serge on the origins of the term, though it morphed a little into those focused on the whole PRaT thing as opposed to those more concerned with tonality an imaging.In terms of forums, back in the day Zerogain was seen as the home of the round earth brigade, with pfm the main home for the flat earth lot following changes to the Naim forum which prompted a few to leave.

I think there is far less polarisation today with most folk realising that it doesn't have to be a choice between two opposing ways of reproducing music.
I'd opinon that there are multiple ways....

There is the closest approach to the original sound way, where the least amount of added noise and distortion, and transparency to the source is the design and engineering goal. It's rare in the marketplace rush to grow sales by providing an 'impressive' 'PRaT' sound, but there are manufacturers out there still who pursue authenticity in sound reproduction.

The other ways are anything you like to dream up and/or market.

The cheapest is to add a graphic equaliser to add appropriate tweaking of the sound to suit personal taste/opinion.

The most expensive is to put oneself in the hands of retail salespeople, who are likely to have little if any tertiary training in audio related fields, or the opinions of so called golden eared enthusiasts, and go around in ever decreasing circles trying to achieve a sound one 'likes' ad infinitum vis a vis swapping out kit, cables and accessories until you either run out of money, the wife/boyfriend/girlfriend throws you out, or you decide you need therapy.. LOL... :p

JB.. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.