SACD player parts availability or expensive doorstop

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After many months of research, I’ve decided that an excellent SACD/CD player is what I’m after. I’ve got loads of classical SACDs and like the sound over regular CD. The classical studios seem to record in DSD. I’ve narrowed it down to Marantz, Denon and Yamaha. 

My concern is spending thousands on such a machine for a board or laser fail after a few short years, only to be told that the parts are no longer available…

Does anyone know how these manufacturers compare with respect to spare parts availability and fixability please?

How long are parts available between these makes?

Last edited by a moderator:

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing lasts forever specially where lasers are concerned . I have a Sony SCD777ES which played faultless for nearly 20 years which is a miracle for any CD player . When it failed it Cost nearly £400 to put a new laser in which I had to acquire from Germany..That’s if you can find someone prepared to service aged equipment.

While it was out of action I brought a second hand Sony DVP ..999ES off eBay for £100  that plays SACD . You know what , it’s ok .. Not a 777ES for sure but there’s a £2000 price difference..
If it fails they’re cheap enough to find another..

If you haven’t got a streamer yet the Arcam SDS50  streamer /SACD is a very capable SACD player .. not the build of a real hi-end player but it’s the music that counts .. 

norliss

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's also this:

sl-g700-mainvisual.jpg

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's also this:

Which is what I use. It's a very high quality machine; well in front of the Marantz sub £3k machines. Really well put together and a delight to use. It's also substantially less costly than the Marantz players. Plus the DAC is available to external inputs, unlike the Denon. If MQA is important to you, then full compatibility and decode, including on MQA CDs. SACD playback is superb, but CD playback is easily in the £2-3k arena, if not not higher. Plus you have a good inbuilt streamer, should you choose to use it. I use it in its pure disc playing mode (this is a specific menu setting that turns off all non core disc playing peripherals)

I doubt many spare parts have been supplied as it's a recent machine. The transport mechanism is a properly guided, smooth and quiet arrangement. It really does have the build to inspire confidence in a long service life. It is a Technics, so parts availability shouldn't be a problem for many years, unlike the mire boutique brands that come and go. Given its relatively low price, given its performance, you could even buy a new mech assembly now, if you were really concerned

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: DomT

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What ever player you get, get some proper spare parts at the same time. I bought an untested second hand Denon 2800 a while ago, and bought a spare laser, cost about the same as the player at the same time. I was lucky, the Denon plays fine, but the door belt is a little tired.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
😂😂😂 and time travel still not possible 🙈💩

Still. If you can find one, they are cracking machines. 

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to forum, just discovered Luxman. Good God, look at the build quality and use of discrete components throughout. The CD mechanism on this looks superbly engineered. The only downside is the price of £15,000. 

4mins 45secs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online