Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've several manufacturers of banana plugs that are useless staying in the speaker/amp sockets most are the typical expanding four leaf around a centre pin type, which would you consider a better fit/connection? I need screw clamp type (not solder) 12 of and refuse to spend stupid money on 'boutique' plugs.

most I have are the expanding four leaf pin (not necessarily this particular dimension of body).

81kLORbvPRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Would the BFA sawtooth design be better:
61DUPhtsniL._SL1500_.jpg

Or the old style sprung side type?

3.2mm_crimp_w-1.jpg

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Either of those should be better, I use both types. My main criterion is one piece of metal thoughout, no pressed joints. But I generally solder, so that is easier to accomplish.

Alister M

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my experience avoid anything with four prongs as the main connection point as they are only stamped together and make a very poor connection and eventually fall to bits. I wouldn't bother with DFA plugs unless you have to. Ditto with screw connections. Number 3 every time as they just work and don't fall out!. I use the Deltron Bucket Solder ones from Compass or other suppliers like RS etc as they are the best quality and last for years (will also take a 4mm able with ease). I wouldn't personally bother with gold plating as the standard Nickel ones are fine.

Reactions: Strider and Tony_J

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my experience avoid anything with four prongs as the main connection point as they are only stamped together and make a very poor connection and eventually fall to bits. I wouldn't bother with DFA plugs unless you have to. Ditto with screw connections. Number 3 every time as they just work and don't fall out!. I use the Deltron Bucket Solder ones from Compass or other suppliers like RS etc as they are the best quality and last for years (will also take a 4mm able with ease). I wouldn't personally bother with gold plating as the standard Nickel ones are fine.
Cheers @Alister M you've smacked the nail home with your description of the first type of plug I have, although I can solder just fine I do have the need of removable plugs plus soldering 2.5 mm cable is a bit of a beatch..
Thanks geezer!

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use the BFA/Z-plug type without issues but there really is very little pulling force on them from the cables as the sockets are very close to the floor on both speakers and amp.

Reactions: Strider

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ruining (even my own) a thread as I often do...
I absolutely detest bananas, they have the consistency and appearance of the devils prod however, if gold tipped and the right girth to fill my receptacle then perhaps it might be just what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Beefheart

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've several manufacturers of banana plugs that are useless staying in the speaker/amp sockets most are the typical expanding four leaf around a centre pin type, which would you consider a better fit/connection? I need screw clamp type (not solder) 12 of and refuse to spend stupid money on 'boutique' plugs.

most I have are the expanding four leaf pin (not necessarily this particular dimension of body).

81kLORbvPRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Would the BFA sawtooth design be better:
61DUPhtsniL._SL1500_.jpg

Or the old style sprung side type?

3.2mm_crimp_w-1.jpg
That bottom picture set with the side bar from Compass great guy too. (y)

Reactions: Strider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles