The Great Cable Debate - Why Do People Get So Worked Up?

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I'm NOT interested in people's opinions on whether cables make a difference or not.

I would like to hear from people as to WHY they start telling other people what they think and that they're wrong. So if you've directly told people one way or the other then I'm genuinly interested in why you do it.

If also you could indicate whether you're pro or anti cables it would be helpful as I get the feeling that it's mostly people who are anti that are the most vociferous.

I'll kick this off by saying the only suggestion I've ever made (knowingly) to someone else is go and try them for yourself and make your own mind up.
I am in the pro camp. But if people don't think they make a difference then great, you have more money to spend on kit. That's my view.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think this is a 'net thing. People don't like their world view being challenged.

Those with 'technical' knowledge often see it as a personal sleight if others report things that they 'know' don't exist.

I'm always reminded of something my father told me. When he was at school he was taught that the atom is indestructible and indivisible, even though Rutherford's experiments had been some years previous. Clearly, the text books and the curriculum hadn't caught up with the then current understanding (note I say 'understanding' advisedly as what are today's facts often quickly become otherwise, in the light of deeper understanding). What my father was taught as a 'fact' was nothing of the sort.

Others clearly have 'saviour' type personalities and feel strongly the need to save us poor uneducated souls with their superior knowledge and understanding.

I use the 'ignore' function a fair bit as there a fair few on here whose opinions are of no interest to me whatsoever. It makes for an easier forum 'experience'.

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great question. I am neither pro or against as not tried them but one day, I definitely will. I too wonder why this debate seems to bring out the keyboard warrior with some folks. It is normally a quite supportive hobby. If the person who bought the cable is hearing an improvement even if, in reality there is none, then in my eyes it is a win.

Reactions: Gizza

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could always think of cables as antennae injecting non-musical noise.
A premise that has fueled a whole industry...
Probably with a deal of justification t'boot.

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My take is that everyone wants to be heard and can get very intense and emotional. I think those who can't hear differences in cables mean good, but same could be said for DACS.
I found this video quite interesting.
May throw light on why things may be system dependant.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. It’s sad that people cannot ask a question and get sensible answers when they seem to be able to do so about amps or CD Players. I find cables system dependent and so I say that it depends just like with amps.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If everyone’s views were the same, the world would be a pretty boring place. Me personally couldn’t give a rats arse what others say. It’s their system so whatever makes you happy

Reactions: peter the butcher

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I couldn't give a rat's backside either way, and I certainly don't care what other people spend their own money on.

The only thing that tweaks my tail is when people start posting the utter BS about 'night and day' differences and 'even the wife could tell'. And we all know it really is BS. Total and utter BS. The only way any cable makes a 'night and day' difference is if you unplug it while something is playing.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst I have found tweaking tonal differences, I don't recall evangelising about it.

However what makes me hoot are those "cables" that are the size of a decent forearm/elephant trunk/large girth. You'll have seen them gigantic trunks of things so darned thick they nearly topple the amp over.

Reactions: uzzy and DomT

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lot of it is insecurity, particularly converts. As in religions, many who have converted feel a need to defend their decision, so will attack those who question their decision. Some of it is just arrogance, from both sides.
And "night and day" is relative; my HF peak has meant that sibilance or the 15-16kHz line whistle of old colour TVs drove me mad, while other members of my family couldn't even hear it. So yes, getting rid of those was a night and day difference, at least to me, while to others it was non existent. Not necessarily applicable to cables*, but I try not to make dogmatic judgements of others' experiences, nor the the language they use.
* But a mains cable that made startling difference to me, was also heard by my wife. 😛

Reactions: Gizza and Strider

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lot of it is insecurity, particularly converts. As in religions, many who have converted feel a need to defend their decision, so will attack those who question their decision. Some of it is just arrogance, from both sides.
And "night and day" is relative; my HF peak has meant that sibilance or the 15-16kHz line whistle of old colour TVs drove me mad, while other members of my family couldn't even hear it. So yes, getting rid of those was a night and day difference, at least to me, while to others it was non existent. Not necessarily applicable to cables*, but I try not to make dogmatic judgements of others' experiences, nor the the language they use.
* But a mains cable that made startling difference to me, was also heard by my wife. 😛
Extraneous noises etc. can certainly make a massive difference, but that's hardly the same as people claiming massive differences between two all but identical cables.

The even my wife heard it' is something I personally find objectionable, as it suggests the wife in question is stupid. My partner is as good at hearing small differences as I am, and if I want the ultimate opinion, I usually ask a female friend who is a professional musician and has the best 'ear' of anyone I've ever met.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Extraneous noises etc. can certainly make a massive difference, but that's hardly the same as people claiming massive differences between two all but identical cables.

The even my wife heard it' is something I personally find objectionable, as it suggests the wife in question is stupid. My partner is as good at hearing small differences as I am, and if I want the ultimate opinion, I usually ask a female friend who is a professional musician and has the best 'ear' of anyone I've ever met.
I find it’s an issue when the girlfriend says there is a difference and then the wife finds out 😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.