Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2018
S Yorks
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here we have the latest build in my ongoing DIY saga. It’s a 5W, single-ended EL34 amplifier.
The EL34s are strapped as triodes, and the amp uses three stages of amplification, beginning with a 6SL7 input stage. From there, the signal is passed to a 6SN7 driver stage before being sent to the power tubes.
43A5DD9A-E145-4278-A940-02276131E689.jpeg
Global feedback is employed from the output transformer secondary back to the cathode of the 6SL7 input stage.
The received wisdom is that global feedback is a complete a no-no with a single-ended amp, but because I seem to find it inordinately easy to make life difficult, I decided to learn all about the concept so that I could apply it properly: you know - give it a chance and all that. To a non engineer like me, the maths involved was bloody difficult, especially with regard to the high frequency compensation required in order to avoid the generation of high, odd order harmonic distortion.

I’ve enjoyed this project a great deal and the sound is quite lovely. For me, it vindicates feedback, provided it’s done properly.

Last edited:

Lord Rockingham

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2018
S Yorks
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two scope traces of a 10KHz squarewave. 10KHz squarewaves never look too clever when an output transformer is in the way. Transformer designers go to a lot of trouble to get good squarewave performance, which is why good output transformers are expensive beasts. Mine are cheap Hammond 125FSEs but they sound surprisingly good.

10 KHz squarewave with global feedback applied without HF compensation: Nasty 7D09892A-E7CD-463F-B6AD-CDA6263D21FE.jpeg

The same squarewave after HF compensation: Much better.
DBC56F79-0C3D-441F-970D-0CDB8B899796.jpeg

Reactions: rabski

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The results (what it sounds like) are all that matters. Conventional wisdom is worth referring to, but often also worth ignoring. Sometimes it ends in triumph and sometimes disaster, but that's half the fun.

Lord Rockingham

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2018
S Yorks
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aye, the sound is what matters. This project was mostly an academic exercise both with the maths and the measurements. TBH I wasn’t prepared for the high standard of sound quality achieved at the end of the process.

Disarmamant

Certified foo free
Wammer
Mar 30, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The results (what it sounds like) are all that matters. Conventional wisdom is worth referring to, but often also worth ignoring. Sometimes it ends in triumph and sometimes disaster, but that's half the fun.
As Jack Elliano once told me “we don’t listen to square waves” 😊

Reactions: rabski

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Steve. Nice that.

As a matter of interest, did you try it with no feedback at all?

Lord Rockingham

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2018
S Yorks
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Steve. Nice that.

As a matter of interest, did you try it with no feedback at all?
No.
It was designed from the ground up to use global feedback.
I could have tried it with no feedback, but the gain would have been ridiculous.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No.
It was designed from the ground up to use global feedback.
I could have tried it with no feedback, but the gain would have been ridiculous.
There's probably all the relevant bits in the parts pile here, so I may have a go at one for the 'build fun'. Not really enough power for me, but certainly worth it for late-night gentle stuff.

Lord Rockingham

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2018
S Yorks
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, working with global feedback in a single-ended context is interesting. I’d gotten fed up with the same old same old, so decided to try out feedback, despite the perceived opposition to it from some of the SET cognoscenti. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Having built an SE amp that employs GNFb, I have to say that I can’t see the problem. The sound is great. The main caveat, is that if you are going to employ GNFb in a single-ended amplifier, or a push-pull for that matter, it is definitely a case of ‘ you can’t just.’ It needs to be taken seriously at the design stage if you don’t want to end up with instability, an oscillator and blown tweeters or worse. This means HF phase compensation arrangements, which mean more components, which some might argue, means worse sound.

However, if anyone asked me now, whether I would build a non DHT, SE amp without feedback, I would have to answer, “not on your nelly.” YMMV and all that of course.

Last edited:

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
English lecturer: "In English, a double negative is logically a positive; in Russian, a double negative is emphatically a negative. There is no language in which a double positive can be a negative"
Voice-at-the-back: "yeah, right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online