Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

The time has come - inevitably. Our eldest daughter has 'nicked' my beloved little Pug 107. Owned by me since 2009 (it's a 2007 car), 110,000 miles - in which time it's been shockingly unreliable. I mean, fancy blowing a rear number plate light bulb at around 80k miles? Seriously, it's been a fabulous car but at least it's remaining in the family. We'll keep it until it breaks - it'll likely outlast me. :D

Thing is, it's time to get a 'me' car. Shortlisting a few - and I'm the sort of person who keeps a car a long time - I need something solid & reliable. Test drove a couple of cars yesterday - Honda Civic SR 1.0 Turbo (28k miles, 2019) and a Volvo V40 T2 (18k 2019)

Honda felt good; supple ride, quiet, reasonably flexible engine not over-endowed with oomph but a tight package all round. Awful touchscreen. I like knobs. Funky looks but I can't get over the fact it looks a bit naff - on the other hand, it is different which is good imho. 3 cylinder engine makes a nice noise though. Large boot.

V40. Solid, oh-so-comfortable, although only 122bhp, the 2.0L petrol has plenty of low-down torque. Excellent ride (on 16" rims), more knobs to twiddle = good. Felt very well screwed together. Base model (Momentum) version but with nav and the parking gizmos. Oh and I still maintain Volvo make the most comfortable seats. Small boot. Friend in our village has a 2012 T3 (same lump as T2 but outputting 152bhp) with 170k on the clock. Owned from new, he loves it.

Now, I've owned a fair few Honda bikes over the years and know, when they get it right, they're nigh on bombproof (my Honda Blackbird had covered 90k miles and ran like a Swiss watch). I still have this nagging fear (irrational?) of small capacity turbo-charged engines which is the reason for this thread and to ask others of their experiences. I'm aware of the EcoBoom problems although this has been proven to be the fault of a dodgy nylon coolant pipe, not the Eco turbo-thingy itself. Am I being paranoid?

Looking at other options, there's not much out there that grabs me. Don't want a Golf/A3/1-Series/Focus. IME, VW dealers are gits - Mrs G has a 2017 Touran 2.0 TDI, we won't take it within a mile of our VW garage.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FWIW I think Volvo quality went downhill after Ford bought them. Most new cars have no user-serviceable parts inside. Depends on what you want it for. I decided I wanted to carry stuff about without the hassle of lifting in and out of a boot so I bought a van. You may have other priorities.

Reactions: Gromit

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
FWIW I think Volvo quality went downhill after Ford bought them. Most new cars have no user-serviceable parts inside. Depends on what you want it for. I decided I wanted to carry stuff about without the hassle of lifting in and out of a boot so I bought a van. You may have other priorities.
The V40 is the last Ford influenced design, I would not say it is bad. Ford obviosly are great with smaller cars in Europe.
Also the T2 engine can actually be tuned upwards of 400hp if needed.
Problem I have with Volvo are actually the newest models und the use of cheapened chineese electronics. In the Ford days Volvo used Japaense Denso Electronics which are comparatively stable and functional.

If you are looking for a trouble free ownership the least complicated design ofhen wins out. The T2 will not have 400V electric systems, weid batteries, hybrid tech.. It is probably the most reliable Volvo you can get these days.

PS. I have a Ford Kuga based XC60 and know first hand that there are lots and lots of replacable parts. After watching many Toyota/VW /Audi and American car repair videos online I am starting to aprishiate some Volvo design choises more and more..
It is rare to find the catastastrophic engine or transmissions failures with Volvos. But yes bushings will wear out, shocks, engine mounts, I had break booster, front drive axles, craked intake . Yes it is a 2009, T6 heavy AWD and heavy driven. Nor do I slow down over speed bumps. At 210 000 km it still runs great.

Last edited:

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I didn't realise until recently that Ford sold Volvo off back in 2010 (as they did with Mazda in 2015). The V40 still sits on the Focus chassis - no bad thing - but the engines are all Volvo's own now. As far as use, this will be my own run-around, couple of trips up to Lincoln each week (open, fast A-road) but will be on stand-by for if/when Mrs G's VW goes bang. :D

I do like the Mazda 3 but they're very rare - seems folk are holding on to them.

Enjoyed the Civic, I just don't 'get' small turbo-charged engines...yet. Perhaps I shouldn't be so old-fashioned. :)

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The V40 is the last Ford influenced design, I would not say it is bad. Ford obviosly are great with smaller cars in Europe.
Also the T2 engine can actually be tuned upwards of 400hp if needed.
Problem I have with Volvo are actually the newest models und the use of cheapened chineese electronics. In the Ford days Volvo used Japaense Denso Electronics which are comparatively stable and functional.

If you are looking for a trouble free ownership the least complicated design ofhen wins out. The T2 will not have 400V electric systems, weid batteries, hybrid tech.. It is probably the most reliable Volvo you can get these days.

Thanks for that - useful and interesting info. The V40 appeals as it's a 2.0 lump, naturally aspirated and in a very mild (under-stressed) state of tune. The Civic is probably more fun - and being a Honda it should be reliable. However, I'm not so blinkered that even they can turn out the occasional dog.

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Well I never - just found out that the V40's T2 lump is turbocharged.
Correct, hence:
https://en.bsr.se/tuning-kits/t/4375/volvo-v40-ii-t2-122hp-2016-2018-b-4204-t38
404HP IN VOLVO V40 T2 – COMPLETE KIT!
Now you can get proper speed on your Volvo V40 T2 (2016-2018) through BSR's Step 4 optimization. With 122HP (Volvo's official numbers. 136HP according to our measurements) from the factory, the +272HP (!!!) extra changes the car completely and outruns most of the GTI class. Step 4 for petrol engines for other Volvo models in the year range will come shortly.
Does this hold? The quick answer to that is yes! The reason is due to a heavily oversized construction from Volvo. They, just like many other manufacturers, simply make a hardware configuration under the hood which they then throttle the power on with software for the other "engine options". So several power options share the same components and are adapted for high power where height has also been taken for any future special versions with extra power. Simply a cost-effectiveness from the manufacturer that gives the car extremely good conditions for high power.
In addition to the Stage 4 software, the Stage 4 package also includes a sports exhaust system, intercooler, 3" front pipe, new turbo and assembly.

• Wow

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My experience of small blown engines is very positive.

I love 3 pots.

My ex had a VW Up Gti 1.0 turbo and it was brilliant to drive. Little or no lag, ‘bigger’ engine feel due to the torque spread. Economy better than its non turbo 1.0 predecessor as its part throttle response very good.

My current has a Focus with a 1.0L Ecoboost turbo 3 pot. This comes with internet scaremongering about head gaskets, but she has had zero problems in 7 years, and she does not spend much time under the hood checking coolant etc…goes well with auto box for a relatively small engine in a big body.

My current Yaris. GR, 1.6 3 pot, is an absolute gem of an engine, even with relatively high state of boost to 270hp. Its balance of torque spread and high revability is like no other car i have driven.

So a big yes to small turbo units. Change the oil, warm up and cool down properly and they are a good ownership experience IME.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I did 95K in a Skoda Superb Estate, 1.4T, including 2 holidays in France, it never felt underpowered, cruised happily at 85 (your honour) all day on the motorway and spent a lot of time in London traffic. It averaged 44mpg. It didn’t as much as blow a bulb.

I got another one to replace it but left the company after 6 months of getting it.

Cheers BB

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks fellas - it's good to get the positives. :)

@Chumpchops - Yaris GR! Would dearly love one of those, watching them on YouTube doing their thing at the 'Ring - most entertaining. Chris Harris is a massive fan, which is good enough for me.

Reactions: Chumpchops

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks fellas - it's good to get the positives. :)

@Chumpchops - Yaris GR! Would dearly love one of those, watching them on YouTube doing their thing at the 'Ring - most entertaining. Chris Harris is a massive fan, which is good enough for me.
Thanks Gromit The Yaris is an absolute hoot to own and drive. Not the best motorway driver and. a tad jiggly around town, but brings a smile to he face every time i chuck it down B road, or through a roundabout in a ‘spirited‘ fashion ;)

It’s a keeper
3800EAE4-7642-4B64-9A5B-7F9D968CFADC.jpeg

• Love

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Gromit The Yaris is an absolute hoot to own and drive. Not the best motorway driver and. a tad jiggly around town, but brings a smile to he face every time i chuck it down B road, or through a roundabout in a ‘spirited‘ fashion ;)

It’s a keeper
3800EAE4-7642-4B64-9A5B-7F9D968CFADC.jpeg

As a former Caterham 7 owner, this would be right up my street. Small, agile, excellent power-to-weight. Perfect. :)

Reactions: deggie

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not all VW dealers are gits but VW definitely are...

My sister has had quite a few Yaris models over the years, usually does around 90k miles in them and has never had a problem. Current one is a hybrid and is a big step up in interior quality, goes okay and very economical. I don't think they have a turbo so perhaps a decent alternative?

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not all VW dealers are gits but VW definitely are...

My sister has had quite a few Yaris models over the years, usually does around 90k miles in them and has never had a problem. Current one is a hybrid and is a big step up in interior quality, goes okay and very economical. I don't think they have a turbo so perhaps a decent alternative?

I'm a big fan of the Yaris - a good friend of ours has owned various models over the years and found them great little cars. A bit too small for me, unfortunately.

Regarding the Civic, I've been doing some trawling the www for info regarding servicing costs. The cam belt (which, like the EcoBoost motors) runs in oil and is replaced at 75k miles/6 years. Cost? £1600 (source: Honda's own servicing costs website). People have been forking out £2.5k for the service which coincides with the belt change. Utterly outrageous considering this is a small, family hatchback. What is also interesting is the 1.5L version (a 4-pot) has a timing chain.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about a Mazda? No experience personally but never heard a bad word.

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Skoda Octavia. I owned a 1.9TD covering 170k. Loved it. Sold it for.........another Octavia - this time a Mk3 with a 1.5 L petrol engine. By far the best vfm out of the VAG offerings and very nice to drive. Uses two cylinders when conditions permit. The boot's almost big enough to accommodate a mini!
Three long road trips in south of France covered without incident. The tinted windows were very useful.
Spares and servicing very reasonable and I pay £32/month to cover mot, service, faults and breakdown cover. Has led lights, auto windscreen wipers and headlamp dip. Bought her s/h.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about a Mazda? No experience personally but never heard a bad word.

They do seem to have a very good reputation - the 3 would be very suitable. I did a search the other day but didn't come up with much (not locally anyway) but doing another just now, Boston Mazda have a 2019 2.0 Auto in the latest shape. I believe it's a proper auto too, not some DSG/EGS type, which is a good thing.

Reactions: Carrington

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They do seem to have a very good reputation - the 3 would be very suitable. I did a search the other day but didn't come up with much (not locally anyway) but doing another just now, Boston Mazda have a 2019 2.0 Auto in the latest shape. I believe it's a proper auto too, not some DSG/EGS type, which is a good thing.
I saw a 3 at Tesco recently, looked very smart.

CageyH

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2014
Toulouse, France
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a former Caterham 7 owner, this would be right up my street. Small, agile, excellent power-to-weight. Perfect. :)
As a current Caterham owner, my choice of me car would probably be the Yaris GR, or a Clio sport/Megane RS. Great B-road cars.

Unfortunately, I had to buy a family car, so ended up with a Skoda Superb Estate, the IV (Hybrid) version, fitted with the 1.4TSi engine. It is not old enough for any meaningful feedback yet, but as it is the same power train as the Passat, I bought it knowing that there would not be many issues with a small turbo charged engine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.