Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've yet to find a DAC I prefer to the dCS ringDAC inside this player which is why I've had ringDAC-based devices in my system for 20+ years. Arcam used the dCS ringDAC in the Alpha 9, CD92, CD23 and this ultimate incarnation the CD23T which https://www.arcam.co.uk/product,fmj-cd23-compact-disc-player.htm reminds me has (vs the stock CD23):

• New dual layer motherboard, with improved power supply grounding and buffering of clocks and audio data to give a cleaner signal
  • New Ring DAC board which reduces distortion in the audio band
  • Improved master clock and clock output distribution circuitry on the Ring DAC board

Badged CD23, you can tell it's a T from the serial number and, when switched on, from the display layout.

If the CD23T had a digital in as well as a digital out, I wouldn't be playing around with standalone DACs. I like it a lot.

Sonically this example is bang on. One of the letter segments on the display doesn't work so it says "N DISC" instead of "NO DISC" but when you are playing a disc and it shows the track number you wouldn't know; it's only when a disc or track has a text title that you might spot this.

Comes with the original Arcam remote, original mains cable, downloaded user manual and in Arcam box (though from a DVD player).

£345 UK shipped (£325 to established wammers. I'll decide whether your established or not!).

Oh, and to answer the FAQ "So if it's your favourite sounding CD player, why are you selling it, Nigel?": because I bought a black one to match the rest of my kit! :roll: .

More photos in second post.

PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hifinutt

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Putting this on hold for a week or two. I've bought a Sony player with identical drive and display and want to see if it's a straight swap. Identical layer with fully working display went for £410 on eBay last week so I'm taking a £30 punt for a potential £100 return.

If the swap works, I'll relist at a higher price. If it doesn't, it will be back as is.

Thanks for your interest.

Reactions: CTank

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back up for sale. I got a Sony player (cheap because of a missing button) to see if I could scavenge the identical display but cannot reuse it due to wider board layout. CD23's seem to be going on the 'bay for £295ish, CD23T's for £400ish.

When I'm messin' wid DACs for my streaming, this continues to be my reference point and I've yet to find a player or DAC to beat it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online