Speakers etc. to go with Pathos ClassicOne Integrated

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Right the Pathos is in and its.......interesting (in a positive way).

Could you guys help me out and recommend various bits of system to go with the Pathos as I feel like the PMC speakersmay not be the right. I feel the X-ray CD player is okay (I am fairly indifferent to CD players though). My speaker cables are QED XT400.

So I suppose I'm really questioning the speakers. I don't mind stand mounts or floorstanders and obviously ex dem/secondhand is good.

If you could advise on budgets of £500 and £1000 (new or second hand) that would be helpful and my criteria are small footprint and good looks!

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gobind - this is a little strange. Why do you feel the PMCs aren't suitable for the Pathos amp?

My experience with valve amps is that they will drive most speakers very well indeed. Unless of course they're a difficult load (which the PMCs aren't). Even my WB Arcs sing nicely with valves and they're not very sensitive at all.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Gobind - this is a little strange. Why do you feel the PMCs aren't suitable for the Pathos amp?My experience with valve amps is that they will drive most speakers very well indeed. Unless of course they're a difficult load (which the PMCs aren't). Even my WB Arcs sing nicely with valves and they're not very sensitive at all.
Valves are a new thing to me and I'm just exploring the answers to some questions raised on previous threads.

I get the impression that some speakers are better suited to the likes of the Pathos and my initial findings are that the Pathos doesn't go as loud as the MF gear but it feels like the the whole shebang moves up linearly with the Pathos where as I don't think it does with the MF.

"Interesting" means different ICE. I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet as I don't think it is as clear cut as with solid state stuff I've had. The presentation is very different to the MF - detailed but relaxed which is really nice. I think I'm surprised at the difference and want to be clear this is a path I want to follow. To put this into context - I put my MF amps back in last night and my first reaction was - ouch, how unsubtle is that. So it's not that I'm unimpressed I'm just being cagey at the moment and will be for a few weeks yet - I want to stop changing gear hence the caution.

I do like the PMC's a lot but Earl mentioned they were hard to drive, the Sugden guy wasn't too happy about pairing the Ampmaster with the PMC's.

I suppose I want to know what is the best gear to get the most out of the Pathos.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMO theres nothing at all wrong with the PMCs. You'd have to spend over £2k to notice an improvement. Give it a week or two for the amp to settle in. Sit backand enjoy your new amp - i'm sure the speakers aren't an issue.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
ProAcs, eg Tablette Ref8 Sig or Response1Sc, should be interesting with the Pathos.

But what is wrong with the PMCs?????

Boxer

G

gsrai wrote:

Right the Pathos is in and its.......interesting (in a positive way).Could you guys help me out and recommend various bits of system to go with the Pathos as I feel like the PMC speakersmay not be the right. I feel the X-ray CD player is okay (I am fairly indifferent to CD players though). My speaker cables are QED XT400.

So I suppose I'm really questioning the speakers. I don't mind stand mounts or floorstanders and obviously ex dem/secondhand is good.

If you could advise on budgets of £500 and £1000 (new or second hand) that would be helpful and my criteria are small footprint and good looks!
s6e.jpg

G

gobind, the little pathos isn't very loud, perhaps thats whats confusing things, don't pay attention to the volume dial, some give a jump in gain early on, like the MF, and some are more linear like the pathos, I'd keep the speakers for a while, until you can really upgrade them, One question, does your foot tap more?

E

Effem

analoguekid wrote:

One question, does your foot tap more?
The man is an accountant Paul, his wallet starts throbbing with the beat longbefore the foot starts tapping :lmao:
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

I don't think Gobind has quite got used to the notion yetof what good clean undistorted power is like, because most folks are still under the misapprehension that "loud" has to sound LOUD to have increased in volume. With the volume knob is cranked right round and you can still hold a conversationwith the person next to you without bellowingat each other you are most of the way there in high fidelity terms

T.white

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 31, 2005
South Wales, , Unite
Effem wrote:

analoguekid wrote:
The man is an accountant Paul, his wallet starts throbbing with the beat longbefore the foot starts tapping :lmao:

I don't think Gobind has quite got used to the notion yetof what good clean undistorted power is like, because most folks are still under the misapprehension that "loud" has to sound LOUD to have increased in volume. With the volume knob is cranked right round and you can still hold a conversationwith the person next to you without bellowingat each other you are most of the way there in high fidelity terms
I'm using a Primaluna 1 with GB1s and that goes well loud and has less output than the Pathos.As mentioned above, I've not always noticed how loud things are until I leave the room and can hear solid, clear sound throbbing throough the house
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Yummy.:dude:

What I notice with the PMCs with the PL1 is that the bass is somewhat looser on some recordings, but this is made up for with the rest of the amps performance which I find excellent.
biggrin.png

Certainly no problems in the driving of the speakers though, even though it could be said tha PMCs like to have plenty of power.

All IMO of course.

12Bore

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 1, 2005
Pub
AKA
Joe
Biscuit wrote:

doesn't somebody here use ART's with Pathos? I would imagine its a nice combo.
Stilettoes work very nicely, as for the new mini monitors...................I'll let you know tomorrow
wink.png

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Effem wrote:

analoguekid wrote:

Paul- when listening to music I seem to want to listen for longer. It's as if there is very little attack in the music but the whole atmosphere is very ...pleasant :djermaica:

Frank - I have to admit I never really understood what high fidelity meant (maybe that's a thread on its own!). You are right, I can turn the volume up to max and feel as if I can chat in the room - maybe this is what I've been missing.

Guys, there's nowt wrong with the PMC's but I suppose I don't know what to expect and it might just be that I have equated "LOUD" with "Quality" - which porbably isn't the case. What I find strange is that rather than reaching for the volume control to turn things down a bit so the kids don't wake up I'mdoing the opposite. The amazing thing is the detail/stage remains consistent at all volume levels from what I can tell - you just get more sound.

My question re the PMC's is one of intrigue as I was thinking about more sensitive speakers (say monitor Audio) than the current 87dB/m.

I do like this particular adventure!

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it sounds "loud" then somethings wrong.

A perfect example of this was just last week. My friend came round to listen to my new power amp and cd player. He told me i was listening to my system at higher volumes than he'd heard it before - this is because the Esoteric displays no digital nastiness at all - hence i can use more volume without it sounding "loud".

E

earl of sodbury

I don't think it's got anything to do with absolute loudness, distortion or such like, I think it's presentation that's the issue here: I have NEVER, EVER heard an Italian amp- solid state, hybridor valve - that didn't sound over-polite, and I've held off saying it, but Pathos are the worst offender I know of.

You need to see some nice silver-fronted Prima Lunas in the flesh to appreciate how goodlooking they actually are, start with a PL2 and add a 5 or even pair of 7s later to biamp, and you'll really get a grip on the GB1s.

Otherwise I'd listen to Hawk and try some LVs - though I predict you'll still change the amp sooner or later...

churz, eofs

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Gobind,

You could try Italian speakers - Opera, Sonus Faber, Diaphason (sic?) etc for synenergy. Though it would be a very smooth sound.

Without wanting to sound like a speaking clock I'd try & listen to the Pathos with Triangle speakers. The later's lack of smoothness balances the super smooth Pathos. The Triangles are very easy to drive. And their midranges bring out the best in each other. And they'd work well across all music. My dealer sells most of his Triangles to valve owners. Worth a listen anyway?

But I'd still give the PMCs a decent chance.

GofA

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Glens of Antrim wrote:

Gobind,You could try Italian speakers - Opera, Sonus Faber, Diaphason (sic?) etc for synenergy. Though it would be a very smooth sound.

Without wanting to sound like a speaking clock I'd try & listen to the Pathos with Triangle speakers. The later's lack of smoothness balances the super smooth Pathos. The Triangles are very easy to drive. And their midranges bring out the best in each other. And they'd work well across all music. My dealer sells most of his Triangles to valve owners. Worth a listen anyway?

But I'd still give the PMCs a decent chance.

GofA
Excellent advice. Go Italian dude. your amp is voiced to suit such speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online