Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am considering moving from my current phono stage to something new.  I have the Fosgate Signature which is a valve based MC / MM phono.  It is darn good, but at the time when I bought it my other amplification was all Solid State.  I like to have valves 'somewhere' in the system and hence the Fosgate, but I now have the Ayon Eris linestage that has 6H30 valves.  So this is enough valviness and I am thinking of something solid state for the phono stage.  I like the idea of a Parasound Halo JC3+ but that is on the outer edge of affordability.  I have heard Whest and they are good but again a bit too salty as one goes up the line.  Pass Labs definitely too much.  So I am considering something like the Rothwell Rialto or one of Graham Slee's efforts. 

An SUT feeding a MM or even a MM/MC phono stage appeals to me.  So the question is: What SUT would be a good match for my low output Benz Wood Cartridge?  [SIZE=11pt](http://benzcartridges.com/products/wood-s/ )  [/SIZE]

The specs of the cartridge are

Output Voltage:   (3.54 Cm/sec)0.4 (Low) 0.8 (Medium) 2.5 (High)

Stylus Shape:  Micro Ridge

Internal Ohms:   12Ω (Low) 24Ω (Medium) 90Ω (High)

Loading Range:    >100 (Low) >1000 (Medium) 47kΩ (High)

Weight:    9 grams

Compliance:    15 (Low) 14 (Medium) 14 (High)

TIA

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the sut if a fixed ratio, I'd go 1:10, to present circa 475 ohm to the cart. 

What are you looking to spend? The rothwell headspace is nice and has various options. I'm pretty sure there's one for sale second hand. Ok, it's a headamp, rather than sut, but has gain and loading options if you wanted a play. 

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Audionote S2 or a used S3 are options and as they make their own transformers they may be ideal for your needs. They make then with different sensitivities so you should find one to suit your needs.

LebenLenco

Wammer
Oct 30, 2016
About £1,500 but this has to include a MM or MM/MC phono stage.  I am not allergic to 2nd hand.  I've just seen a Silvercore in the classifieds.  It is the 1:10 model.  Maybe that with a Slee ReflexM??  On this subject does anyone have opinions on the new Slee Accession?  https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/accession-mm-phono-preamp.html
I have a SilverCore 1:10 and it is very good. I compared it to a more expensive SUT from Intact Audio and preferred the SC because it was more balanced sounding. The Intact had a pronounced midrange. I also listened to the Audio Note S2/IO but decided that it was not worth changing. SC is a solid buy and as they are rare to find that secondhand one is worth trying out. 

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm using a Graham Slee Reflex MM stage with a Graham Slee Elevator at the moment and it is very good. worth considering.

There is a Graham Slee Reflex M used on AOS at the moment if you are interested in one.

Go for PSU-1 power supplies if possible they do help.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have a look at the Benedict Audio Hot-head, they do an MM & an MC version. They are superb, and way way better than their £400 price tag suggests.

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Have a look at the Benedict Audio Hot-head, they do an MM & an MC version. They are superb, and way way better than their £400 price tag suggests.
+1

Des has one of these for a while it was extremely good for the money. In a Phono Stage bake off at his house only the Rega IOS beat it and it was pretty close. It saw off a Linto, Lehman, Vincent and I think it was a Diablo aswell.

The only down side is there are no adjustments for loading etc but if it suits your cartrdge it would be well worth a try.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an EAR839p which is a version that does MC & MM (£545 2nd hand from a dealer) but I use a SUT, specifically a Puresound T10 which is a lovely, lovely thing and was less than £200 2nd hand (has low/high settings).

I have used Graham Slee stages and they are fine, open and detailed - I slightly prefer a valve phono but understand your view that too much valve could be too much of a good thing (I have a big grunty SS power amp which balances well).

If like me you could find a 2nd hand T10 you'd have a lot to spend on a phono stage.

FWIW

Jagged24

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2010
Cambs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too find I prefer the sound of a valve phono coupled to a powerful SS power amp.

I use the RFC MC1 SUT from Reference Fidelity Components -

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/product/rfc-mc1/

- with an Icon PS1.2Sig phono and Bel Canto Evo2 power amp. The RFC SUT audibly outperforms the built-in step-up in the Icon phono stage.

Paul at RFC will adjust the SUT's gain to suit your cartridge.

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too find I prefer the sound of a valve phono coupled to a powerful SS power amp.

I use the RFC MC1 SUT from Reference Fidelity Components -

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/product/rfc-mc1/

- with an Icon PS1.2Sig phono and Bel Canto Evo2 power amp. The RFC SUT audibly outperforms the built-in step-up in the Icon phono stage.

Paul at RFC will adjust the SUT's gain to suit your cartridge.
RFC and others definitely worth checking out - thanks for the tips guys!

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have decided to go for the Benedict Audio.  Now:  MM (with SUT) or MC?   I am inclined to think MC - save some dosh on the deal.  On the Benedict website the MM and MC are the same price.  It would also save on a pair of interconnects. Or are the benefits of of an SUT substantial?  My guess is that if the SUT is very good then there would be some benefit - so maybe it is the same old story; you get what you pay for.  Thoughts. 

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To my mind if you need more than the BA in MC mode offers then you don't need a BA to start off with as they're exceedingly good. Unless of course you intend to swap between MM and MC carts in which case the SUT combo makes sense.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
or you could look to pick up a SUT in the classifieds, try them and see if you like the difference, if no difference sell the SUT, if (as in my case) there is a difference on A-B tests make a call if it is worth the £

(the fact that my SUT weights as much, if not more, than my phono maybe a clue here?)

tomart

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 28, 2009
Llandudno, , United
AKA
Dave
I built a SUT using LL1678 lundahl mc transformers which give a 16 or 32 times gain. works very well with a range of cartridges (0.5 to 0 .125 mv), no hum.

I find that cables can affect the amount of hum caused.

You can get them with a range of ratios - basic copper,  cardas copper  or pure silver windings.

I built it on boards from k and k audio so can switch between step up ratios and insert parallel resistors to vary loading

http://www.kandkaudio.com/applications-guide/

Last edited by a moderator:

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Benedict Audio Hothead MC will be available in a week or so if your interested Andrei, drop me a PM to discuss :)

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's always the way Andrei, this happens to the best of us... good luck with the new unit when it arrives, hopefully you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was with how good it works :)  

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online