Steve Hackett @ The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a fantastic concert, superb musicians, really tight note perfect and a great singer showman in Nad Sylvan.

He could sing the lot, Suppers Ready was a masterclass but then every song was brilliant, Firth of Fifth sublime and Watcher of the Skies not a favourite of mine was so good in the encore I wanted to play it as soon as I got in.

Anybody going to the last two shows are in for a special night :^

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
What a fantastic concert, superb musicians, really tight note perfect and a great singer showman in Nad Sylvan.He could sing the lot, Suppers Ready was a masterclass but then every song was brilliant, Firth of Fifth sublime and Watcher of the Skies not a favourite of mine was so good in the encore I wanted to play it as soon as I got in.

Anybody going to the last two shows are in for a special night :^
Really pleased about that - I'm off to the gig in Sheffield tonight :^

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really pleased about that - I'm off to the gig in Sheffield tonight :^
Great, looking forward to your comments.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
Just back home from the Steve Hackett gig in Sheffield.

Hackett himself is a real stand out guitarist - I'm glad he spent most of his time playing and not reminiscing. The backbone of the band - the drummer, bass player and keyboard player were as tight as anything I've heard - I particularly enjoyed the way the bass and keyboard player shared responsibility for the bass lines. All of the lineup (except the singer) were excellent multi-instrumentalists and I thought the bass player did a brilliant job in sharing the guitar parts with Hackett. If anything I thought the singer was the weak link but I suppose he was on a kicking to nothing - Gabriel is/was a hard act to follow.

Our seats were next to the mixing desk so it's fair to say we were at the 'sweet spot' as far as sound goes. The dynamics were truly awesome and never overwhelming - at least until the encore.

They played for 2¾ hours which made the ticket excellent value for money and I got the feeling they all enjoyed playing as much as the throng enjoyed watching and listening.

Music wise I enjoyed everything from the opening Dance on a Volcano to the closing number Los Endos and I would struggle to single out anything as being special although Suppers Ready and the encore of Watcher of the Skies and Los Endos were particularly stellar.

The only thing I found distracting was the sheer number of people taking pictures on smartphones.

Great gig :^

Blurboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2012
UK
I saw Steve Hackett on his Spectral Mornings tour at The Victoria Hall in Stoke which is renowned for it's fabulous qualities musically. He was absolutely superb and sad I missed him this time.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was a guy in the audience who Steve applauded for it being his 109th Hackett gig :shock:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.