Streaming Services Database

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spotify , Tidal et al does anybody know how they obtain all the music on their sites and in what form. Got me thinking why it's taking Spotify so long to supply lossless music , do they only have lossy music and have got to upload everything at a higher quality .

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wondered what you meant by “in what form”... and then I think I got it. Are they sourcing lossy? Or are they sourcing original/lossless, creating lossy, publishing lossy? Is that it?

Not sure anyone here will know, but it’s a good starting point for a fight about something unrelated, I’m sure.

Cue wammer claiming over 30’s can’t hear anything anyway, MP3 is “good enough”, and hi-res is a rip-off foo con of the first order.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If Spotify already have Lossless files then I thought maybe they could flick a switch and bingo away we go .

Reactions: TheFlash

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I may well be wide of the mark on this but as i understand it this is a License issue with the major Record Companies and there is a tier system which has different costs . Spotify have always used the lowest MP3 agreement and switching over is something that needs to be negotiated with each separate company and a new price and agreement issued in each case . Once the majors have got things in place then the smaller suppliers will fall in to place as well . Last i heard was that Sony was the stumbling block and were playing hard ball over the new costs which if agreed would mean Spotify would have to ask quite a big increase for the better quality streams . Things were getting heated and there is a break now to try and sort things.

Reactions: Bazzer

twinpot

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2016
With 7Digital, I would often find albums available in FLAC format on one country’s site, but only MP3 format on the NZ site. When I queried them about this I was told it was all down to licensing restrictions and controlled by the labels. I wonder if it’s a similar thing holding Spotify back?

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is all about licensing, as outlined above. You may also notice on other streaming services that some albums become 'greyed out'. This is where licence is being renewed.

Spotify has been saying for years that CD quality streaming is imminent, yet here we are. It may well be that they've decided against it, as it just doesn't matter to the vast majority of their users. Those that are interested already subscribe to Tidal, Qobuz . Can they make it work within their target subscription cost range, might also be a consideration. Who knows?

Reactions: TheFlash and Bazzer

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve no idea, I’m afraid, but it got me thinking does each company ‘hold’ or host everything they stream - like on their own servers - or maybe there’s a central repository and they simply direct us there?  It’s all bit of a mystery now I come to think of it!  

Assuming they upload to their own servers or cloud service, that cannot be a five minute job with zillions of tracks.  

• Upvote

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The environmentally responsible approach is apparently to cancel all your streaming services, switch off all your filthy polluting audio equipment, and simply play everything yourself on a kazoo  :D

• Haha
Reactions: Nopiano

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve no idea, I’m afraid, but it got me thinking does each company ‘hold’ or host everything they stream - like on their own servers - or maybe there’s a central repository and they simply direct us there?  It’s all bit of a mystery now I come to think of it!  

Assuming they upload to their own servers or cloud service, that cannot be a five minute job with zillions of tracks.  
Qobuz use Amazon Cloud services AFAIK, and so the infrastructure is decentralised.

Reactions: Nopiano

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I may well be wide of the mark on this but as i understand it this is a License issue with the major Record Companies and there is a tier system which has different costs . Spotify have always used the lowest MP3 agreement and switching over is something that needs to be negotiated with each separate company and a new price and agreement issued in each case . Once the majors have got things in place then the smaller suppliers will fall in to place as well . Last i heard was that Sony was the stumbling block and were playing hard ball over the new costs which if agreed would mean Spotify would have to ask quite a big increase for the better quality streams . Things were getting heated and there is a break now to try and sort things.
I could live without Susan Boyle, definitely https://www.sonymusic.co.uk/artists/?catalogue=* 

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Took advantage of another free 3 month Tidal trial , fed up waiting for Spotify . Those two services have Connect which gives them the edge over the overs as I like to use a PC and MAC to directly control my streamer .

Reactions: Sonofsun

Sonofsun

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Timperley
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Took advantage of another free 3 month Tidal trial , fed up waiting for Spotify . Those two services have Connect which gives them the edge over the overs as I like to use a PC and MAC to directly control my streamer .
Yes, I have done the same. .... I think I am on my 3rd free trial now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online