Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well its relieving to know anyway . I am exceedingly happy with my eaton legacy but if one wanted to upgrade i am happier its made in hamilton

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I was told at some point that the cabs I had were made in Poland, which also had questionable quality. The drive units in china. I never did get an answer last month as to where or what the uk ‘manufacturing’ plant was.when I asked for tech support on the high frequency problem the Arden’s had , there was no one to talk to.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are all the models made there now?
The rep. was quoted "Yesterday at the Signals HiFi show I had a chance meeting with the new Tannoy Rep he confirmed that the Tannoy Stirling and one other model (I cant remember which one) are being made in Scotland again. "

Sounds like only 2 models at the moment.

Reactions: hifinutt

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The rep. was quoted "Yesterday at the Signals HiFi show I had a chance meeting with the new Tannoy Rep he confirmed that the Tannoy Stirling and one other model (I cant remember which one) are being made in Scotland again. "

Sounds like only 2 models at the moment.
Well he told me and you completely different things which is disappointing. He told me that Tannoy prestige and legacy production never left the UK.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well he told me and you completely different things which is disappointing. He told me that Tannoy prestige and legacy production never left the UK.
So why did Tannoy remove the made in the UK from the brass plaques? He did not tell me anything as I was not there, I was quoting someone else. Why make all the workers redundant if they just moved location? Ex employess last year, were saying, nothing was being produced in the UK. Tannoy would not say where they were being made, why not if they were being made in the UK?
This Hamilton factory has only just been announced very recently.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So why did Tannoy remove the made in the UK from the brass plaques? He did not tell me anything as I was not there, I was quoting someone else. Why make all the workers redundant if they just moved location? Ex employess last year, were saying, nothing was being produced in the UK. Tannoy would not say where they were being made, why not if they were being made in the UK?
This Hamilton factory has only just been announced very recently.
All I am doing is repeating what he told me. I have no other information but shared his words as there was an open thread about this subject.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there an assumption that products made in England are of a higher quality compared to the rest of Europe and the Far East? If that was the case British Leyland might still be producing cars.
It could be speakers made in eastern europe or in the far east are of exceptional quality in order to secure contracts when they come up for tender.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there an assumption that products made in England are of a higher quality compared to the rest of Europe and the Far East? If that was the case British Leyland might still be producing cars.
It could be speakers made in eastern europe or in the far east are of exceptional quality in order to secure contracts when they come up for tender.
I’ve recently got a mint pair of Tannoy Legacy Cheviots and the walnut finish is stunning wherever the work was done. I personally like ‘Designed in the UK and manufactured in collaboration with experts in countries x, y and z’, rather than ‘Designed and made in the UK’. Being obsessed with everything being done in the UK has a Brexity sort of whiff to it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles