Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I had Stirling se a few years ago.

I spoke to a lad on the wam that had newer gr versions had a nightmare getting a replacement cone due to damage, not sure if he ever got one. Hence my concern.

Not only that but after speaking to Lockwood, they have nothing to do with anything post SE/TW

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say we get more benefit for the UK economy from collaborating with other countries well, rather than trying to do everything ourselves.
I agree collaboration is good, the law of comparative advantage and all that but if it involves shifting skilled jobs abroad I don't like that.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It appears that there was a proposal to build a new factory in Scotland in Strathclyde and this was built but never used or opened . Music Tribe on the basis of this were granted an extension that allowed them to use Made in UK (note not England) until the factory was opened. As this has never been done and no one seems to be prepared to say or confirm anything more than the cabinets are made in Poland (which was also the case in the later years of Coatbridge production) it would seem that there is a strong case to say that the labelling used is at best misleading but more likely a complete lie .

Reactions: MartinC

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yesterday at the Signals HiFi show I had a chance meeting with the new Tannoy Rep he confirmed that the Tannoy Stirling and one other model (I cant remember which one) are being made in Scotland again. They are being funded by Music Tribe. He said an announcement is due soon, but could not tell me any more. (Tannoy were not exhibiting there).

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yesterday at the Signals HiFi show I had a chance meeting with the new Tannoy Rep he confirmed that the Tannoy Stirling and one other model (I cant remember which one) are being made in Scotland again. They are being funded by Music Tribe. He said an announcement is due soon, but could not tell me any more. (Tannoy were not exhibiting there).
The cynic in me wonders whether 'made' and 'manufactured' are the same thing.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does this legal definition help?

"Made in is generally indicating the physical location of the final production of an item. "
And that's the precise point. 'Final production '.

We can all doubtless name one or two manufacturers that have 'made in the UK' on products that are actually assembled in the UK out of major parts made elsewhere.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to work for a company that owned the Tema Match Company in Ghana . We used to ship out ready cut match sticks and large 40 Gallon drums of the red liquid they needed to be dipped in . They had made in Ghana on the box and as far as i know still do .

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And that's the precise point. 'Final production '.

We can all doubtless name one or two manufacturers that have 'made in the UK' on products that are actually assembled in the UK out of major parts made elsewhere.
We could name quite a few and don’t get me started on animals that were born and raise outside of the UK but meat from this animal can be called British if ‘prepared’ in the UK. It’s a joke.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
superb to see The tannoy stirling in the tannoy room at cranage . made in Hamilton Scotland accordng to The Gents from Symphony distribution great news and looking beautiful as ever

https://symphonydistribution.co.uk/
He told me the same thing and that the cabinets will be, or are already now, being made in Hamilton. Also that Music Tribe are giving their brands more local control. This is leading to some new products coming this year.

Reactions: hifinutt

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are all the models made there now?
Craig I didn’t go through everything in the product line with him as my interest was legacy the prestige ranges and these have always been UK. After Coatbridge closed they moved to Hamilton. The distributor said that it’s not a myth that they are made in Hamilton as he has visited the site. I don’t know about anything else.

Last edited:

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Ok.

I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t speak to anyone at tannoy about the issue I had with the speakers at the time.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok.

I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t speak to anyone at tannoy about the issue I had with the speakers at the time.
From what the Distributor said Tannoy had neglected the European market and now with the change in Distribution he is seeking to really focus on the UK. Maybe worth getting in touch again as the new distribution deal has only just been out in place. He seemed a really great guy.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He told me the same thing and that the cabinets will be, or are already now, being made in Hamilton. Also that Music Tribe are giving their brands more local control. This is leading to some new products coming this year.
Tannoy said the
Craig I didn’t go through everything in the product line with him as my interest was legacy the prestige ranges and these have always been UK. After Coatbridge closed they moved to Hamilton. The distributor said that it’s not a myth that they are made in Hamilton as he has visited the site. I don’t know about anything else.

cabinets were made in Poland and have been for many years.

Strange closing Coatbridge and making everyone redundant. I think this Hamilton factory has only opened recently. If they have always been made in the UK, why did they change the the labels, which removed the UK? Why the secrecy over Hamilton until now. Ex Tannoy employees, most now at Fyne, confirmed there was no Tannoy production in the UK, after Coatbridge closed in 2020.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online