Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
spent a few years living in west norwood very near the factory . in fact the church there i believe had tannoy speakers instead of bells . the history is fascinating and you can read so much in the book . one amazing fact Guy who was in the army became friends with walter portwine and they formed some business associations . the dad john portwine made so much money making tanks that he gave it all to missionaries [ he was a baptist at chtsworth baptist nearby ] the book is full of incredible history

norwood is an amazing place with links to Machine guns , Tannoy , charlie chaplin and so many other things . of course many of the road names became the names of speakers like cheviot

https://www.norwoodsociety.co.uk/book-reviews/the-tannoy-story

https://stlukeswestnorwood.wordpress.com/history/
I had a customer whose father was a close friend with Guy R Fountain and he had fond memories of visiting the factory in West Norwood with him. He owned a few old pieces of Tannoy equipment which he left to me in his will. A lovely old Tannoy valve amp, which I must approach Rabski about renovating for me, and a single corner Canterbury speaker with a silver !2" driver. The Canterbury still sounds wonderful, in a warm cuddly vintage way :)

tannoy-monitor-silver-canterbury.jpg

tannoyamp1.jpg

Last edited:

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Something must have changed, or they are breaking the law by putting that statement on the binding posts!

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly if they send units made in China to the UK with just the drivers needing to be screwed in then there is a loop hole they can say made in England .

Reactions: Tony_J

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly if they send units made in China to the UK with just the drivers needing to be screwed in then there is a loop hole they can say made in England .
I suppose I might ask the question ‘why does anyone give a flying fuck whether expensive Tannoys are built in the UK?’. Because stuff isn’t made in a single country anymore, and expecting the entire supply chain and production to be in a single country doesn’t make sense.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose I might ask the question ‘why does anyone give a flying fuck whether expensive Tannoys are built in the UK?’. Because stuff isn’t made in a single country anymore, and expecting the entire supply chain and production to be in a single country doesn’t make sense.
If you want to support your own economy by knowing that the money you spend is going on employing people in your own country there's nothing wrong with that.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the cabinets are now made in Poland. What they do in the UK, is unknown, maybe put the labels on?

Where it is made matters to some people. Some dealers are still saying they are made in Scotland, if they said China, I think it would affect their sales.

I was annoyed by the mismarketing, saying there were still made in Scotland well after they closed the factory.

I see Tannoy are looking to make a 100% made in UK speaker, there was a prototype at the Bristol show, will be interested in the price.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you want to support your own economy by knowing that the money you spend is going on employing people in your own country there's nothing wrong with that.
I would say we get more benefit for the UK economy from collaborating with other countries well, rather than trying to do everything ourselves.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the cabinets are now made in Poland. What they do in the UK, is unknown, maybe put the labels on?

Where it is made matters to some people. Some dealers are still saying they are made in Scotland, if they said China, I think it would affect their sales.

I was annoyed by the mismarketing, saying there were still made in Scotland well after they closed the factory.

I see Tannoy are looking to make a 100% made in UK speaker, there was a prototype at the Bristol show, will be interested in the price.
gosh i never saw any tannoys at the bristol show , where they there ?

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sure i saw them phil , remember saying to the guy there how much were the large speakers and he replied 33,000 pounds .......gulp,

Reactions: hifinutt

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sure i saw them phil , remember saying to the guy there how much were the large speakers and he replied 33,000 pounds .......gulp,
Small scale production will always be expensive. If they do start making them in the UK, does not make much sense in closing down the Coatbridge factory. If it was too large they could have relocated. I see the factory is still vacant and on the rental market, thought they were going build houses on that site.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
My issue isn’t as such where made. I’ve been reading some reviews for after sales service/spare parts from music tribe. Not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online