Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jesus, I was hoping we'd get to the end of the year without another monumentally sad loss.

Another singer and band that bridged musical gaps. Not to mention being 'aware' and yet still producing immensely fun music.

Really sad.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never knew this , what a terrible ordeal .

Abducted aged 12​

The musician was born in 1959 and raised in Coventry, where most of his family worked in the city's then-booming car industry.
But his life took a dark turn when, at the age of 12, he was kidnapped by a teacher.
"I was abducted, taken to France and sexually abused for four days," he told The Spectator in 2019. "And then punched in the face and left on the roadside."
Hall said the incident left him with life-long depression and caused him to drop out of education at the age of 14, after becoming addicted to the Valium he had been prescribed.
"I didn't go to school, I didn't do anything. I just sat on my bed rocking for eight months."

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Gromit and Roo

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wonderful talent of my late teens and early 20s
Brought joy to many
Another sad loss to the music we hold so dear

Reactions: Maverick

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Never knew this , what a terrible ordeal .

Abducted aged 12​

The musician was born in 1959 and raised in Coventry, where most of his family worked in the city's then-booming car industry.
But his life took a dark turn when, at the age of 12, he was kidnapped by a teacher.
"I was abducted, taken to France and sexually abused for four days," he told The Spectator in 2019. "And then punched in the face and left on the roadside."
Hall said the incident left him with life-long depression and caused him to drop out of education at the age of 14, after becoming addicted to the Valium he had been prescribed.
"I didn't go to school, I didn't do anything. I just sat on my bed rocking for eight months."
Jesus

Phil Bishop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2015
"I told him, Philately will get you nowhere'".

Quote of the year.

The same age as me and hails from the same area - the Midlands.

Fortunately, my teachers were somewhat more civilised.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I never got on with The Specials, but did like Fun Boy Three. Been having a listen through the old tunes again this morning, and I'm reminded what a talent Terry was. He will be missed by many.

Safe journey to the big stage in the sky, Terry

Reactions: DUVET

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Specials were a coming of age band for me, along with the whole ska movement. Set the tone for my political and social and musical outlook.
RIP Terry Hall.

Reactions: alan967tiger

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gutted to hear this, I was a big Specials fan late 70's/early 80's and saw them three times. The thing that stood the the Specials out from the Skin/Rude boy/SKA at the time was the critical eye on current affairs woven into the lyrics.

Some of the later material when he joined forces with other chart toppers wasn't really my bag but I met him many times at Chipping Norton studio and he was a quiet and fairly introspective man but prone to killing up with some of his anecdotes and eye opening life experiences.

He was on tour a couple of months ago with some of the original band members playing original songs from the African/America slaves and how the songs were still relevant today as seen by those living in these times of a fractured society.
RIP Terry - one of a kind.

Reactions: savvypaul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.