The Soundstage

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
In light of expense of changes required to achieve this sometimes, what do members think about the width and depth of soundstage.

How do you percieve it?

Speaker positioning and listener location are key factors - how do you actually address this in reality with the wide variation in room sizes one encounters.

Tricks, tips and ideas - and ofcourse theory. Discuss

matty

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Kings Hill, , United
an acoustically bad room will affect the soundstage, combfiltering can corrupt imaging and make the soundstage false. dont ask me to get technical now though, not after a bottle of Blossom hill and a curry

michaelg

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2008
, , Ireland
Was mucking about with toe-in and seating distance tonight and all of a sudden , everything i wanted snapped into place ,the difference between a few inchs gave me both a wide soundstage with vocals focused dead center , depth, detail etc.

The stereo illusion was quite powerful and gave me the shivers (in a good way)

Was sitting equilateral triangle and i think this is actually quite important for great stereo imagery ,

Found that greater toe in can be more beneficial the closer you sit to a triangle, wheras firing almost straight down the room is a good option if you sit a little further away.

Seems this maintains a good wide soundstage.

Now i just have to put the couch back before the missus come back.

ncdrawl

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2008
Edinburgh
AKA
Teddy Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
michaelg wrote:

Was mucking about with toe-in and seating distance tonight and all of a sudden , everything i wanted snapped into place ,the difference between a few inchs gave me both a wide soundstage with vocals focused dead center , depth, detail etc.The stereo illusion was quite powerful and gave me the shivers (in a good way)

Was sitting equilateral triangle and i think this is actually quite important for great stereo imagery ,

Found that greater toe in can be more beneficial the closer you sit to a triangle, wheras firing almost straight down the room is a good option if you sit a little further away.

Seems this maintains a good wide soundstage.

Now i just have to put the couch back before the missus come back.
a good test for this is to simply play a radio so that it is in between stations, giving you the white noise... what you need to hear is a big ball of noise dead in between the speakers... adjust until you get it right.another gent does it thus:

class="post"To adjust toe in I use The Beatles-"Abbey Road" and the song "Her Majesty." The vocal and guitar start off in one channel and slowly pan all the way to the other channel. If the vocal move towards the listener as it gets close to the middle there is too much toe in, if the vocal moves away from the listener there is too little toe in. It should sound as if McCartney's vocals roll smoothly and continuously across the sound stage

and finally, my favorite trick.... GET IT RIGHT IN MONO.. hit the mono switch on your preamp if you have one, adjust, adjust adjust until that sound is just amazing in mono, assuring that once you have it back to stereo, youll have the best sound you have ever had, guaranteed.

Toe in needs vary wildly from speaker to speaker. For example, my AudioKinesis Jazz Modules are best when toed in in such a manner that the axis' cross in front of the listening position..

my ESLs and BW 802s, however, sound better more straight on.

class="post"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online