Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2012
Manchester
AKA
Martin Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well folks, I have been given an opportunity to add hifi to the office.
I already have an Almarro A318 with some wharfedale lintons in the living room so fancy something different.

I was thinking mabey a quad Artera stereo power amp and the quad pre amp. I've chosen these for a couple of reasons: 1, they have past the 'looks nice' test from the wife, 2, price wise, they're pretty reasonable.
I am open to other suggestions though.
I'm still unsure on speakers. I do know that whatever they are they will need to be bookshelf types.

Any recommendations or suggestions welcome.

Reactions: Strider

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I already have an Almarro A318 with some wharfedale lintons in the living room so fancy something different.

I was thinking mabey a quad Artera stereo power amp and the quad pre amp. I've chosen these for a couple of reasons: 1, they have past the 'looks nice' test from the wife, 2, price wise, they're pretty reasonable.
I'm still unsure on speakers. I do know that whatever they are they will need to be bookshelf types.

It's beautiful outside, take your wife out for lunch.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like Quad is the all in one streaming amp not best for an office, or are you still wanting a "proper" hifi in there? Are the speakers going on the desk, or bookshelves? As if not small floorstanders take up no more space.

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Q Acoustics, Bluesound power node would be good. Amazed by how good mine sound

Reactions: luckysim0n

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I owned an Artera Stereo until very recently. It’s a great amp. But it’s a warm bath of sound compared to Audio Research D130 and the power amp stages of the Accuphase E270 and E380. Clearly the Quad is at a different price point but I would advise against a warm sounding speaker if you are also to get a Quad preamp.

I still have a Quad 909 that I use nearfield (90cm distance) with a Benchmark DAC and Harbeth P3ESR and it works well.

On that note I have owned a Quad 33 and 99 and I am not a fan finding them ‘muffled’ and lifeless. Others will disagree. If you are using just digital then many DACs have a preamp built in. I agree that a Quad 34 looks great though and the tilt control can be useful in an office situation but some DACs have DSP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.