Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Morning all,

Taking a short break from the photography section here. :)

I'm coming back over to the Dark Side for a while, and just scored what looks like a nice WAD KEL84. Having had one of these little beauties before, I'm all too aware that they're not the last word in oomph and need a kinder speaker than those I have at the moment (ie Q 2010i and ProAc Super Tablettes). Anyone have any recommendations please? Whilst our room isn't too small (it's 20' x 10') it has bad reaction behaviour (40-50hz) and doesn't work well with large/rear ported speakers - I'm basically after something quite benign, sealed box would be even better.

Should add that this won't replace what I have at the moment, it's really just for the hell of it.

Ta. :)

Edit: 'Cheap' means 'less than 200 quid'

G

Richard, if the hell of it doesn't work out let me know you lucky sod. Lovely amp, wish I'd never sold mine....

In my experience the older Castles work really well on these, easy to drive, I used Castle Durhams II and I, excellent results.

M

MallyMad

Saw that on eBay..... ANKs would work well with that. Sure there were some Snell Ks in the classifieds as well.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Richard, you will probably already know that you are unlikely to get AN K's, or Snell J's or E's for £200.

Might just get a pair of Snell K's for that, if you are lucky.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not for £200 or less (Snell Ks or Js).

Mission 751 would be my shout. look nice, not too big and an easy load. Lots about at a fair price. Another suggestion is Monitor Audio R352 or 252 (although they may be too big for you).

M

MallyMad

The Snell Ks are £250 maybe worth stretching a bit? The Castle Isis there would be nice as well £130.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
I probably have a decent pair of B&W DM4's and some nice stands available for long term loan or maybe purchase in the next couple of days. Depends how I get along with the new speakers arriving tomorrow.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks fellas - appreciate the input. :^

Yes, E's or J's would be very nice but certainly stretching things both in terms of £ and size. The K's though are very tempting and I've no doubt would work nicely with the big Sony amp too. I would probably need stands for them though as the heavy Target ones I use with the ProAcs are too tall (60cm).

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you really up for the hell of it?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131045423409

I think they might suit you quite well...
Hmmm...

1: It's a kit, so it will almost certainly be missing some bits and won't fit together properly.

2: It'll sound utter shit, with zero response under about 70Hz and nasty treble.

Apart from that, not a bad idea.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
have you totally discounted using the WAD with the ProAcs' Richard, you never know?

- - - Updated - - -

Bum, forgot the capital letter at the start of my post- must cockpunch meself. :x

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gromit likes Royd Minstrels.
Actually, I don't really mind them either.

They are a touch rolled off at the extremes, but quite listenable and what there is, sounds good IME.

Wouldn't be my choice, but then neither would a woodwork nightmare with Fostex.

I am willing to be proven wrong, but I've yet to hear anything with a single Fostex that sounds anything other than dire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.