Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 12, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Matt Wenham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for your help sourcing a belt, the Rock is now sounding pretty good with a new Goldring 1042 stylus. There are a few of remaining issues I'm hoping you can help me with.

Firstly, the subplatter seems to be running too high, meaning he belt doesn't stay on when it's on the lower 45rpm pulley position. I've taken the height adjustment screw as far anti-clockwise as it will go and pushed it down pretty hard onto the bearing, but it's still high. The height adjustment screw seems to be captive in both directions, is this as it should be?

The Rega RB300 seems pretty sound, but the arm lifter (lowerer?) is no longer going all the way down when dropped, stopping just below the armtube. This means that the stylus is sometimes skipping on discs which are less-than-flat. Is this something I can fix myself, or is it a return-to-base or elsewhere service job?

Finally, is there a consensus as to what main bearing lubricant is suitable?

Many thanks,

Dr. Matt...

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't help with the belt height but the arm will have a retaining nut under the the deck/arm tower so you should be able to lower the arm a bit as long as you reset everything once the right height is achieved. You can get small bottles of the proper Townshend bearing oil on eBay and I would stick with that rather than mess around trying ones which might have a different viscosity & could cause future problems. Maybe that wouldn't happen but why take the risk?

Alex 54

Techie with ears
Wammer
Jul 15, 2016
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for your help sourcing a belt, the Rock is now sounding pretty good with a new Goldring 1042 stylus. There are a few of remaining issues I'm hoping you can help me with.

Firstly, the subplatter seems to be running too high, meaning he belt doesn't stay on when it's on the lower 45rpm pulley position. I've taken the height adjustment screw as far anti-clockwise as it will go and pushed it down pretty hard onto the bearing, but it's still high. The height adjustment screw seems to be captive in both directions, is this as it should be?

The Rega RB300 seems pretty sound, but the arm lifter (lowerer?) is no longer going all the way down when dropped, stopping just below the armtube. This means that the stylus is sometimes skipping on discs which are less-than-flat. Is this something I can fix myself, or is it a return-to-base or elsewhere service job?

Finally, is there a consensus as to what main bearing lubricant is suitable?

Many thanks,

Dr. Matt...
You could try moving the pulley on the motor shaft?

DoctorRad

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 12, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Matt Wenham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't help with the belt height but the arm will have a retaining nut under the the deck/arm tower so you should be able to lower the arm a bit as long as you reset everything once the right height is achieved. You can get small bottles of the proper Townshend bearing oil on eBay and I would stick with that rather than mess around trying ones which might have a different viscosity & could cause future problems. Maybe that wouldn't happen but why take the risk?
Thanks for the input. I'd rather not take the arm down any further as it's already very much 'down at the back' due to the platter being too high, and if anything, I think the G1042 needs to be the other way viz-a-viz VTA. I just need the arm raiser to drop about another 0.5-1mm and it would be great.

Will have a look at eBay for bearing oil, thanks.

You could try moving the pulley on the motor shaft?
EDIT: I've just looked at that, and the pulley is very firmly attached to the motor shaft. The Origin Live DC motor installation instructions suggest it is soldered on, which I can well believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex 54

Techie with ears
Wammer
Jul 15, 2016
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
EDIT: I've just looked at that, and the pulley is very firmly attached to the motor shaft. The Origin Live DC motor installation instructions suggest it is soldered on, which I can well believe.

I believe it's fixed on to the shaft with an anaerobic adhesive, heat from a hot air blower should soften the adhesive enough to allow it to be moved or you can get a miniature pinion puller from a model shop to remove it completely. 

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the input. I'd rather not take the arm down any further as it's already very much 'down at the back' due to the platter being too high, and if anything, I think the G1042 needs to be the other way viz-a-viz VTA. I just need the arm raiser to drop about another 0.5-1mm and it would be great.

Will have a look at eBay for bearing oil, thanks.

Lowering the arm is not being suggested, but lowering the arm lift lower platform. Under the arm support platform is a small Alan key. Loosen that, and the lift lower platform can lifted/lowered until it clears the arm from the platform when playing

Batty

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2009
Adelaide. Oztrayliya
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Contact john at Audio Origami for bearing oil.

It sounds like the RB300 is too low at the rear, you should have no problems with either the RB300 or an RB250 fitting on a Rock, I have used both over the 32 years of owning my Rock mkII.

• Upvote
Reactions: Cable Monkey

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lowering the arm is not being suggested, but lowering the arm lift lower platform. Under the arm support platform is a small Alan key. Loosen that, and the lift lower platform can lifted/lowered until it clears the arm from the platform when playing
what he said - i was going to like the comment but the Wam will not allow me :(

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are not supposed to change speed with an OL DC motor by moving the pulley. You should use the switch on the control box. Both 33 and 45 RPM can be adjusted independently. You then need to raise the arm using shims or the Michell VTA adjuster. 

DoctorRad

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 12, 2015
Bristol
AKA
Matt Wenham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are not supposed to change speed with an OL DC motor by moving the pulley. You should use the switch on the control box. Both 33 and 45 RPM can be adjusted independently. You then need to raise the arm using shims or the Michell VTA adjuster. 
Ah, I don't have an OL DC motor on the deck, just that their web page is the only information I've been able to find about how the pulley is attached to the motor. I will look at the pinion puller option, looks like a go-er.

Do I need to remove the arm from the deck to access this Allen bolt?

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You need to get your hands on a Rock manual. It seems to me you are looking in the wrong places for information. I would not change anything until you know what you are looking at so obtain a setup manual if you can. Also we need pictures to offer the right advice and so Rock owners can compare what they have to what you have.

Batty

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2009
Adelaide. Oztrayliya
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You need to get your hands on a Rock manual. It seems to me you are looking in the wrong places for information. I would not change anything until you know what you are looking at so obtain a setup manual if you can. Also we need pictures to offer the right advice and so Rock owners can compare what they have to what you have.
Agree.

I sent a copy of my manual to vinyl engine years ago, so there is one in their library.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.