Tube phono stages -£400 ish

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all, I'm keen on upgrading to a tube phono stage. £400 ish budget used.

I'm running an AT-VM95SH cart at the moment but something with adjustable gain for a moving coil cart at a later date would be nice.

And ideally a single box, half size, with integrated power supply if possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Ross

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
project tube box DS2. Sounds superb, loads of flexibility, mm & mc. Maybe not the sexiest looking thing out there & some may be a bit sniffy about the Pro-Ject badge, but get past that & you‘ve got a really excellent PS.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t particularly like what stages with MC inputs do vs using an SUT. I know it’s not what you want but a secondhand Croft or an Audion Premier would sound very good. MCs can be good but there are lots of great MMs that with one of these stages could satisfy in the long term.

Otherwise I really like the Dynavector P75. I have had one for years and it’s great especially with Dynavector cartridges

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t particularly like what stages with MC inputs do vs using an SUT. I know it’s not what you want but a secondhand Croft or an Audion Premier would sound very good. MCs can be good but there are lots of great MMs that with one of these stages could satisfy in the long term.

Otherwise I really like the Dynavector P75. I have had one for years and it’s great especially with Dynavector cartridges
That's interesting, thanks! It'll probably be years before I change the cart as it's got less than 10 hours on it, so MC capability is not essential

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have the latest iteration of the Dynavector P75. Excellent with both MM and MC cartridges.

Reactions: DomT

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A leftfield recommendation is to try a Jez Arkless phono stage, ( SS) they are very full, smooth and extremely musical, and quiet, you could pick up one well under budget.

Good luck any road.:)

Reactions: bullinachinashop

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was fond of my Icon PS1 Mk 1. Used it with a 401, SME and G1042. The new models prices have gone through the roof, but they are well built so a second hand one will last near enough for ever. Last thing I'd have called it was laid back, bouncy and open would be closer for what its worth.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been using an EE Minimax for many years, and have never felt the need to change, a great valve phonostage which has it own sut built in. Mind you I doubt you will find one for £400.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just sold 2, that fit the bill.
Parks Audio Budgie and World Audio Designs.
Both valve and around your budget.
Both rare, Parks Audio not imported as far as I know, imported it myself from Shannon Parks in the USA. Discontinued line, now is all digital and called The Puffin.

Reactions: bullinachinashop

The Great Soprendo

Wammer
Feb 14, 2023
Sunderland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's not MC and it's definitely not to everyone's taste to buy such things but the two box EAR834P clone I recently got from AliExpress is very very good. Quiet and very musical. And seems well put together with decent parts inside. About £170 delivered without valves or £200 incl 3 PSVane valves.

It has a volume control also which is handy as the gain from it is high.

Last edited:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Yaqin MS23B and think it's great. Ok I only replaced a Cambridge Audio one so it wasn't up against much but it was clear night and day once I replaced the stock Chinese valves with Sovtek short plates.

They can be modded (I think someone on here used to do it, maybe Firebottle, where's he gone?) to sound even better but you can buy s/h to try it first to see what you think and then upgrade if you like it or sell without loss if you don't.

Reactions: antonio66

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the OP here are the links to the above recommendations:-

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...a2g0o.productlist.main.11.39be6d57OpipvT&algo

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.productlist.main.9.23fa4531fykSgw&algo_pvid

Also a one box EAR with MM/MC - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...o.productlist.main.1.23fa4531fykSgw&algo_pvid

I've never heard these phonos but I do own a Yaqin amplifier and it is very good.
I don’t really need another phono stage, but I’m quite tempted to get the two box EAR clone at that price.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t really need another phono stage, but I’m quite tempted to get the two box EAR clone at that price.
Does seem like a bargain esp the no tubes option to add NOS of your choice. Never bought off Ali Ex though no idea what happens if things go wrong.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does seem like a bargain esp the no tubes option to add NOS of your choice. Never bought off Ali Ex though no idea what happens if things go wrong.
I’ve got several cheap Chinese valve amps - three APPJ ones, and they have all been 100% reliable, well made and respond well to valve upgrades such as Psvane types. I suppose if they ever go wrong, you might have to write them off as it would be almost as cheap to get another one as repair them. I’ve found recently that deliveries from China via Ali Express to the Canary Islands where I live, are actually faster than from places like Germany.

Reactions: The Great Soprendo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.