NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering this step.

Should I wait a little bit? ... as Akurate DSM has been around for a while now, and maybe its upgrade/new version waits just around the corner.

On the other hand, I'm not attracted at all by Select DSM... and the Klimax is to advnaced compared to the rest of my setup, which consists of Majik 2100 power amp, M140, M109, M112, M126 speakers, Majik LP12, Naim CD5 XS (and Arcam AVR550 for AV content). But following Linns "source first" philosophy, perhaps Klimax DSM would not be overkill?

Best Regards,

NL

Last edited by a moderator:

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Buy a 2 year old one - as long as it has Katalyst it will be pretty much up to date (not withstanding the ongoing debate about old style boards vs new style boards caused by changes in the production equipment).  It will still have a 3 year transferrable warranty.

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You need to find a way to listen to the alternatives, and decide which of them are most worth their price to you. We get to be very boring, saying this all the time, but we say it because it's true.

That said,  the Akurate DSM is your obvious starting point. By Linn standards, the model is not all that old, and with its Katalyst technology is a major step up from your MDSM. The Klimax DSM is a wonderful piece of kit, but it is hugely expensive, and it has fewer connections than the ADSM, and no front panel controls.

Sunbeam's advice to buy second hand has merit, but I don't know what the market is like in Serbia. I'd strongly advise against buying sight unseen on the Internet, unless you really know what you are doing. Perhaps there is a dealer local to you who can offer, for example, an ex demonstration model.

David

• Upvote
Reactions: NL. and HansBertil

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been pondering the same idea. I’m sure even an Adsm/1 will be an upgrade to my mdsm/1.

It makes sense to buy a used one but I wonder if the Adsm/1 makes more sense than the Adsm/2 as the katalyst upgrade from what I understand brings both players to newest spec for the same cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelly200269

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
and the Klimax is to advnaced compared to the rest of my setup, which consists of Majik 2100 power amp, M140, M109, M112, M126 speakers, Majik LP12, Naim CD5 XS (and Arcam AVR550 for AV content). But following Linns "source first" philosophy, perhaps Klimax DSM would not be overkill?
I run Klimax DS/KK into Majik-level amps & speakers. I know my system is a little unbalanced, and that I’m not hearing the best that the Klimax-level kit can produce, but don’t underestimate your M140’s.

Boy, does this system sound good! I would strike for the Klimax, budget and features allowing.

CJ1045

Krescendo HiFi Partner
Wammer
Nov 6, 2009
Dorset, UK
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On eBay you have a right to return for two weeks if you buy the item on a buy it now basis. Sometimes this can be 30 days but it is at least two weeks. We encourage our customers to usr this feature to try kit out in their own system. The only cost you will have is the cost of shipping the item back to the seller. If it does not work in anyway or the physical condition is not as described in the advert then even the return shipping cost is paid for by the seller. You have more protection buying this way than from a shop.

As to an Akurate DSM then if you can't afford a second hand Katalyst version about £3800. Then look for the cheapest non-Katalyst version about £2300. The upgrade cost is £1800 but this needs to be done via an official Linn dealer.

Both are good value at these prices.

CJ

• Upvote
Reactions: NL. and Nopiano

Smokin Donut

New Wammer
Mar 12, 2020
Not sure if this is  de rigueur - especially for a first post, but I have an ADSM/1 for sale at a whopping fiver under CJ's suggested price point. More details on the Lejonklou for sale board. It will shortly be making an appearance on eBay once I've photographed it.

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder if the Adsm/1 makes more sense than the Adsm/2 as the katalyst upgrade from what I understand brings both players to newest spec for the same cost.
That is correct. In fact the only difference between the ADSM/1 and the ADSM/2 is that the latter has the HDMI 2.0 board. If HDMI is of no interest, the two versions are to all intents and purposes identical. Any model of ADSM can be upgraded to the current /3 (Katalyst) specification, and the upgrade is very well worth the cost.

David

CJ1045

Krescendo HiFi Partner
Wammer
Nov 6, 2009
Dorset, UK
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The upgrade to Katalyst also gets you a 'free' HDMI 2.0 board. In the UK the upgrade costs £1800.

CJ

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The upgrade to Katalyst also gets you a 'free' HDMI 2.0 board. In the UK the upgrade costs £1800.

CJ
You get a new five year warranty too.  I bought my ADSM/2 at about two years old with a view to upgrading and some point, though in any case it’ll be better than a Majik. The best value is probably to get a /1 and then buy the Katalyst upgrade at your expense  

By the time I’ve saved up, there will probably be another generation of DAC architecture, but that is another story!

Reactions: SnapperMike

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We’ll panic finally kicked in NYC and my wife made me use all our savings to buy chicken broth and flu medicines
sad.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad

CJ1045

Krescendo HiFi Partner
Wammer
Nov 6, 2009
Dorset, UK
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, you are correct, I was £1000 out on my prices!!! Duh!!!

I have adjusted the original post.

CJ

CJ1045

Krescendo HiFi Partner
Wammer
Nov 6, 2009
Dorset, UK
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I am happy about was that they did not call me to buy one and I agreed to the original prices!!

CJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online