Upgrading cd player

cobb1973

New Wammer
Nov 4, 2021
Every 'complete' CD player is a transport and a DAC in one box, so it's simply using a player as a transport and adding an external DAC. I would imagine the Cambridge is more than a fair transport, and although there are improvments in transports and they do make a difference, by far and away the biggest differences are in the digital to analogue conversion.

It would be relatively cost effective to pick up a DAC and try one. I'm sure plenty of people will have suggestions, but buying used is painless and DACs are relatively easy to sell on. You'll need a digital cable, but no need to go mad. Designacable do proper digital interconnect cables for about £15 and they work very well. Decent DACs come up regularly in the classifieds. You could always dive in feet first and, depending on where you are, host a bakeoff and ask people to bring DACs to listen to. Or just ask. Most of us don't bite and are always happy to help other people spend their money 🤣
OK so what would folk suggest for a DAC then not a mad price lol

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Incidentally, £100? Possibly, but closer to £200 would get you a (used) DAC that IMHO would be a notable improvement.

triumph

daytona600
Wammer
Nov 18, 2016
Up North
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Rotel CD11 Tribute &  future upgrade use as a tranport &  feed into a nice Dac

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK so what would folk suggest for a DAC then not a mad price lol
I would suggest that the Beresford DACs mentioned earlier in the thread would be an excellent place to start - they pop up quite frequently on the second hand market - the later Caiman series depending on exact model can be had for about £100-150 - the latter would be a definite step up from the Cambridge - even the older 7520 sound pretty impressive for the money, and fetch about half that - I would also budget another £20 for a decent digital cable (Ecosse 'the producer' - stupid name, but an excellent cable). There are a mass of Chifi DACs on the market, but getting a good one seems to be a bit of a lottery - others on here may be able to recommend specific models, but there seems to be little consistency within particular brands, making it a trickier proposition finding a good one - Beresford stuff is well designed, and they all sound good to my ears - MH

Reactions: cobb1973

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've only skimmed the thread, but this is superb for the money.

Happy to move on for the same cash if floats your boat.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a dying Marantz 6004 (bought about 11 years ago to replace dead Meridian 506.  The cost of a new laser mechanism is just under £80 and been quoted £60 to fit it ... am still considering my options.  Fortunately I had a Pioneer PDS505 precision I picked up very cheaply some years back for the conservatory so that is slotted into the system now (and far better sounding than the 6004) and there is something satisfying putting the cd onto a platter ... daughter has moved out now so I have a PDS802 I can slot in if needs be (but this beaut is now approaching 30 years old and I know I will cry when it stops working lol)

One day I am going to have to bite the bullet and rip my cds to a hard drive server and access via the streamer I guess 😰
Is it worth spending £140 on an 11 year old budget CDP, when you can probably  buy another one, for less than that? Also is the new lazer the original part or just some copy. I was advised by a company that does this type of work and modifications. 

AnilS

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2005
Bromsgrove, Worcs
AKA
Anil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a spare, fully working Rotel RCD 965BX that is seriously nice to listen to.

If you are local to the Midlands or Worcestershire, you can borrow it and try.

It'll be in the classifieds soon.

Reactions: hifinutt and Lurch

Countryman

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2019
Suffolk
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shameless plug for my Philips CD620. Philips CDM 4 transport which is excellent if you want to add a DAC. Twin TDA 1541 internal DACs make it a sweet sounding player in its own right. It’s listed in the classifieds.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
further to my comments re. playing my Cambridge CD4se via coax to my Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Dorado 3 PSU enhancer with Beresford installed  clock & supercapacitor with SEG 50 upgrade, Stanley Beresford encourages customer upgrades so I replaced the circuit board mounted  phono sockets with individual sockets wired with 7N OHNO silver plated copper wire,  this made a surprising difference all over not just one or two areas

As it was Christmas I decided to treat myself, I ordered an MCRU linear PSU designed for them By Nick Gorham of Long Dog Audio, each is individually made to order, unlike the Chinese offerings on the Bay which may or not be electrically safe. Up market Chinese goods are as good & safe as any in the west.

The MCRU LDA PSU was more than the icing on the cake, after a few days listening  I believe  it has permitted the DAC etc to perform to their potential having heard expensive CD both with and without external DAC's,  in my quite revealing system with OTA Quad 57's  I have not heard CD or recorded HD TV or DVD's played on a Sony Blue ray player  sound so good.  I do no stream.

I have upgraded to my satisfaction my already good CD4se 

I must unequivocally sing the praises of Stanley Beresford, Nick Gorham and Mick & Dave at MCRU all HiFi enthusiasts  who have all unfailingly  answered my plethora of questions  all in a very genuine friendly manner.                                                           

Reactions: antonio66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.