Linn Owners

utopik for akurate

Lorre

Wammer
Apr 7, 2019
I am wandering if there are already members that upgraded from dynamik to utopik PS in ADSM's. Impressions ? worthwile improvement ? Many thanks !

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulssurround

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I upgraded the Dynamik PSU in my Akurate DSM/1 to Utopik yesterday.
One of the better upgrades I have had and during the first 1.5 hour listening session my smile got bigger and bigger. The difference is larger than from basik DAC to Organik in my Selekt DSM.
For Streaming sources (Tidal) the music gets more real and engaging
For vinyl from LP12 (Majik upgraded with Lingo4, Akito 3 and Klyde) via Linto: :) :) :)
More tuneful and larger variations. Tighter bass, can hear instruments I have not heard before and significant more feeling on how instruments are played.
I generally play vinyl but streaming also became a lot better.

Initially one could think that the cost of the upgrade compared to the retail price in 2nd hand marked don't make sense. How wrong. This is clearly more musical and fun than my Selekt DSM (with Utopik and Organik).
Never heard my system this good.
Rest of system: Akurate 4200 (2 channels used) and Klimax 350P

Øyvind I

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I upgraded the Dynamik PSU in my Akurate DSM/1 to Utopik yesterday.
One of the better upgrades I have had and during the first 1.5 hour listening session my smile got bigger and bigger. The difference is larger than from basik DAC to Organik in my Selekt DSM.
For Streaming sources (Tidal) the music gets more real and engaging
For vinyl from LP12 (Majik upgraded with Lingo4, Akito 3 and Klyde) via Linto: :) :) :)
More tuneful and larger variations. Tighter bass, can hear instruments I have not heard before and significant more feeling on how instruments are played.
I generally play vinyl but streaming also became a lot better.

Initially one could think that the cost of the upgrade compared to the retail price in 2nd hand marked don't make sense. How wrong. This is clearly more musical and fun than my Selekt DSM (with Utopik and Organik).
Never heard my system this good.
Rest of system: Akurate 4200 (2 channels used) and Klimax 350P

Øyvind I
Akurate katalyst better than selekt organik? Really?

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the same question…

Wow, this short review is great news for Akurate owners!
I don't believe it. The implication is that Organik is not all it's cracked up to be. And no-one has said that, quite the opposite. And the better clocking in the Selekt... my "Really?' was sarcastic btw.

Oscar P.

Wammer
Mar 6, 2020
I don't believe it. The implication is that Organik is not all it's cracked up to be. And no-one has said that, quite the opposite. And the better clocking in the Selekt... my "Really?' was sarcastic btw.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe the last part of the review too, but I do believe that Formann is glad with the upgrade from Dynamik to Utopik.

And I do believe that the Akurate DSM is a great source…with or without Utopik.

• Haha
Reactions: mac72

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akurate katalyst better than selekt organik? Really?
From my LP12: better. No doubt.
Note that this is not the Katalyst version. Why, one can only guess but a few have previously reported that the digital volum control in Klimax DSM is less good than Klimax Kontrol.
FOr AKDSM/3 ved Selekt Katalyst , @zee9 have reported that as pre-amp the Akurate is clearly better.
We both agree that in Exakt system the Selekt is clearly better but I have dropped Exakt for the time so no traditional system where the Akurate is better.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my LP12: better. No doubt.
Note that this is not the Katalyst version. Why, one can only guess but a few have previously reported that the digital volum control in Klimax DSM is less good than Klimax Kontrol.
FOr AKDSM/3 ved Selekt Katalyst , @zee9 have reported that as pre-amp the Akurate is clearly better.
We both agree that in Exakt system the Selekt is clearly better but I have dropped Exakt for the time so no traditional system where the Akurate is better.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. My RP1 has come alive with Selekt, but it is in Exakt system.
I still find it surprising 😮 but then again there's nothing new in that!

Enigma

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m a tad skeptical if the level of improvement from my ADSM/1 using exalt only output, either into a exaktbox-1, or Exakt Akubariks is going to be worth the cost.

My layman’s brain is thinking, it’s only a digital signal, can it make that much difference.

Waiting to have my cynicism squashed😀😀

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m a tad skeptical if the level of improvement from my ADSM/1 using exalt only output, either into a exaktbox-1, or Exakt Akubariks is going to be worth the cost.

My layman’s brain is thinking, it’s only a digital signal, can it make that much difference.

Waiting to have my cynicism squashed😀😀
Went through a similar thought process when I was contemplating the upgrade from Akurate Exakt DSM to NG Klimax DSM Hub. It’s only a digital signal….. As it turns out, there’s plenty of room for improvement. In your case, I’d say more skepticism than cynicism. :)

Last edited:

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was the same from MDSM to AEDSM. It was a significant difference. Lifting of a veil. More detail. More music. Given the reports here from others, who are only upgrading a DSM, while other devices aren't upgraded, it will bring benefits. At that price it should!

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just bought used Akurate DS/0 with (presumably an early) Dynamic PS upgrade. I’m very pleased with it and it has a 12 month dealer warranty. One attraction to the Utopik is gaining a 5 year warranty to future proof the unit if the PS capacitors etc may be the most vulnerable to failure. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ray Vardy

36 hours

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, this is weird. It's working. Dafuq?
Only if some batshit from the colonies appears spouting about the second coming & the performance improvement of inserting a carrot under the foreskin before turning on all your equipment left handed whilst whistling the Lumberjack Song.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Only if some batshit from the colonies appears spouting about the second coming & the performance improvement of inserting a carrot under the foreskin before turning on all your equipment left handed whilst whistling the Lumberjack Song.
Imagine the upgrade with the full song!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just bought used Akurate DS/0 with (presumably an early) Dynamic PS upgrade. I’m very pleased with it and it has a 12 month dealer warranty. One attraction to the Utopik is gaining a 5 year warranty to future proof the unit if the PS capacitors etc may be the most vulnerable to failure. Thoughts?
Just had a 2009 Dynamik in an Akurate Kontrol fail. It's been repaired by the Linn dealer in Seattle and will be sent to me. It was capacitors in the Dynamik. The rest of the AK was just fine.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just had a 2009 Dynamik in an Akurate Kontrol fail. It's been repaired by the Linn dealer in Seattle and will be sent to me. It was capacitors in the Dynamik. The rest of the AK was just fine.
Was it eligible for Utopik?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online