Valve amp power supplies - chasing the best sound.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For days now I've been building and rebuilding power supplies for my various valve amps. First it was rectifier shootouts, then capacitors, and now it's 1200V SIC diodes, which are about the cleanest diodes you can get. All these power supplies feed my standard circuit which is a 2 stage SE 2a3/6C4C amp running at "book" value, i.e. 250v, 60mA, -45v. The last 2 days have been choosing between a 5u4 hybrid rectifier power supply and a SIC diode bridge. Mains transformers are the same, though with added voltage in the case of the 5u4 to give the same output voltage of around 310v. Same large 8H, 210mA choke and same Kemet DC Link caps.

So I've come to the finding that I slightly prefer the SIC diode power supply. This is good news because it's a lot simpler and cheaper. There's not much in it though, so I'll continue experimenting. I bought the SIC diodes from Farnell. I'll be buying some more now, in case the price goes up. The DC Link capacitors are smoother than Kemet electrolytics I tried, but may not be the last word. I'll be looking at all the many PSU capacitor threads.

Please post all your power supply experiments here and let's start a debate which may be useful for ongoing experiments.

Attachments

• PSU Beard SS4.png
    PSU Beard SS4.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 9

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting regarding the SIC diodes, presumably you're also now able to lift the value of the first cap from 12uf if you wish ?

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting regarding the SIC diodes, presumably you're also now able to lift the value of the first cap from 12uf if you wish ?

Yes - I can experiment with that. My friend Bela in Hungary who is an EE and experience valve amp builder suggests a 1:3 ratio. So e.g. 15uF and 45uF for first and second caps, with choke in between.

There are some very sophisticated solid state smoothing circuits with Mosfets etc. I don't have any working knowledge of those, but they're certainly interesting and an alternative to chokes.

Reactions: Lokes

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You would need to sim it first. More capacitance is not always better. Certainly, the low value is often essential straight after a valve rectifier, but sometimes it's simply 'cleaner' anyway.

Reactions: Lokes

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Andy, it sounds like you adjusting the power supply to keep the smoothed DC voltage constant with each rectifier?

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Andy, it sounds like you adjusting the power supply to keep the smoothed DC voltage constant with each rectifier?
Yes indeed. I've settled on a SE 2a3/6C4C design so just building that with small variations. I've collected some output tubes so that's it for me. I've done all my experimenting with loads of output tubes over the years, so now trying to iron out all the creases with just one design. Quite a challenge. Choosing parts - capacitors, resistors, transformers etc that sound best to my ears. The B+ voltage I need is somewhere between 310v and 325v depending on the output transformer. Comfortable voltage, kind on rectifier diodes and caps.

Reactions: dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online