You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know this has been asked before and I've done a quick forum search but can't find a relevant answer.

Evening all.

The output transformer on my Border Patrol 300B Power Amp seems to run ridiculously hot, as in you can't leave your finger on it for even a second (I know, why would I want to do that ? 🙂) and after about 30 minutes there is a whiff of rather warm (not cooked) electronics.

So, I'd like somebody knowledgeable to take a look at it for me. I'm based in Luton, Beds (J10, M1) and happy to travel an hour and a half'ish each way.

Any suggestions appreciated.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd guess (from a hot OPT and a red anode) that the o/p valve is passing way too much current which may in turn imply that its bias has gone awol. That is (afaik) less likely with cathode-bias, but could happen with grid-bias either via a severed connection from the bias supply to the grid, or because the bias supply has failed. I'd also suggest the symptoms are Not Good for the OPT or the o/p valve, and that you should find a substitute amplifier and/or get yours fixed asap.

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd guess (from a hot OPT and a red anode) that the o/p valve is passing way too much current which may in turn imply that its bias has gone awol. That is (afaik) less likely with cathode-bias, but could happen with grid-bias either via a severed connection from the bias supply to the grid, or because the bias supply has failed. I'd also suggest the symptoms are Not Good for the OPT or the o/p valve, and that you should find a substitute amplifier and/or get yours fixed asap.
The Amp has been stood down for the last couple of weeks, so no chance of any further damage being done.

.......... hence my post here 🙂

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

andya

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2007
Swindon, Wiltshire,
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know this has been asked before and I've done a quick forum search but can't find a relevant answer.

Evening all.

The output transformer on my Border Patrol 300B Power Amp seems to run ridiculously hot, as in you can't leave your finger on it for even a second (I know, why would I want to do that ? 🙂) and after about 30 minutes there is a whiff of rather warm (not cooked) electronics.

So, I'd like somebody knowledgeable to take a look at it for me. I'm based in Luton, Beds (J10, M1) and happy to travel an hour and a half'ish each way.

Deco Audio in Aylesbury will repair and service valve amps. Sorted my Audio Research Classic 30 for me at a reasonable cost.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Henry @toprepairman could sort this for you he's Fetcham/Leatherhead.
PM me for his phone number.

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
Thanks John for the recommendation.
By sheer chance I'll be in Luton on Wednesday delivering the Mrs to the airport.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Evening all.

Deco Audio in Aylesbury. James is a top class technician. Why not give them a call?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.