Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The next Wam Taxi will be Sunday 20th August (South to North) and Monday 21 (North to South).

One job is already known: collect refurbished item from Simon Shilton (SJS) in Manchester on the Sunday and return to JP (Diceman)
on the Monday.

Enquiries welcome. Payment is the usual cash contribution to the fuel bill, amount pro rata size, distance and difficulty.

Jack NSM

Reactions: Gwantommo and sjs

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Graham67 has made an enquiry about Preston - as far as I remember from my years at Lancaster Uni, Preston is further north than Manchester and in the same direction. So doable Graham.
Would have to be the Sunday afternoon.

Jack

PS - still plenty of room in the car.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm saying yes to Graham for Monday, which would mean Monday for the Diceman SJS pre (or is it a phono?) as well as it is located in S. Manchester. (I'll have to check with Simon if someone will be there.)
Plus I will be visiting an address in Worthing to pick up a rack for Bandit Pilot. By the look of it that will be dropped off going up on Sunday (Worksop)
Just 3 items to go so far, there's still time for more gear and more 'juggling' the itinerary..

Perhaps someone will buy something I'm selling in the Classifieds..well, one can always hope..

Jack NSM

Last edited:

limbok

Wammer
Aug 13, 2023
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, maybe I'm a tube at searching this site but hopefully someone will cut me some slack bing a newbie n'all...What is Wam Taxi?

Is it a new super hero, e.g. man in a leotard transporting HiFi up and down the country in a black van? How do you book the Wam Taxi, do you have to live in a certain location he is going to visit and if so how do you know when he will come?

VanDerGraaf

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2015
Glasgow
AKA
Rohan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He certainly is a super hero to all those poor souls who need a helping hand....unlike Bruce Wayne, you can DM him :) on here.

Reactions: limbok

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And thankfully there's no leotard-wearing involved... no-one wants to see that! 😆 (sorry, Jack)

Have a look through some of the old Wam Taxi threads and you'll get the idea. Jack usually travels up the spine of the country from the south coast to West Yorkshire / Mancs about once a month, picking up and dropping off items on the way there or the way back, that have been pre-arranged with him. Far safer than trusting your precious items to the hands of a national courier service. Contribution towards fuels costs is the price.

The term "Wam Taxi" though is more general, and sometimes there will be a request for help to transport things in other parts of the country, so always worth asking if you have something to move on to a new owner, or have your eye on a Shiny New Thing that you can't get to yourself

• Haha
Reactions: Jag and limbok

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jules has given you the drift but there was one element missing from his account - my daughter who now lives in W. Yorkshire. Shannon gets a visit in the course of the trip and its one of the places where I can stay over.
The fuel contribution helps fund the trip and as a byproduct fellow wammers get stuff delivered quickly and safely.
So there is some self interest involved though a fair bit of hard work and organisation is also demanded of me.
Its social as well - I've met quite a few wammers on my travels and I'm always invited in far a chat, a coffee and a listen..

Jack NSM

Reactions: Jag

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is how this Taxi is shaping up..
Depart Chi 6 00 a.m ish 6 30? Sunday..
1. Call at Disarmamant, Brackley, collect buffer pre on loan to Speedracer;

2. Gwantommo, Long Eaton, Notts, coffee, chat, and a listen, avoiding the bulldog puppy who took a fancy to me on my last visit (ho hum!); Rummage box of selected jazz vinyl;

3. Bandit Pilot, Worksop - drop off Rack (flatbpack) previously collected, Worthing;

4. Meet up Colton Retail Park Leeds collect 3 items from Chris Reynard (one for Gurjinder - Nakamichi);

5. Sowerbey Bridge, hug daughter, quaff wine, chinwag, dinner, collapse, sleep.

Monday 21 st:

Drive to..

1. Preston, collect turntable (unknown) for Graham 67;

2. Collect bells 'n whistles SJS pre from Simon Shilton, South Manchester, destined for JP (Diceman).

3. Meet martiansunrise M4/A350 junction services exchange bells 'n whistles Radford STA25 MK111 for refurbed Tannoy RFC Cheviots.

4. Frimley, deliver said SJS to Diceman, chat, coffee (cake?)

5. Drive home to Chi.

Jack NSM

Last edited:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Final terms agreed with martiansunrise and meeting place agreed with an approximate time. That is, of course Monday, around 6 00 pm all being well.
Just loaded the Tannoy Cheviots and obeyed Cooky's instructions that they should be transported on their backs. XOs and grills plus XLR connecting leads on board.
Also Rick's Stands Unique rack.
I think that's all i'm taking up, bar the usual toothbrush change of clothes and a couple of pretty nik-naks for Shannon, the daughter.
I've made clever provision to take on the 3 boxes from Chris Reynard at Colton, Leeds and then its the final furlong to Sowerbey Bridge (M62).

Occupying the front seat is my current stock of jazz records (35L crates x2) for Gwantommo to rummage through.

Looking forward to the trip and meeting some old friends, not least Disarmament, who is the first port of call eta 9 00 a.m., and who is kindly lending a JFet, stepped attenuater unity gain buffer pre amp (which Ive heard previously) to our Speedracer..lucky boy!

Ive bunged some Redex system - clear in the diesel tank, so looking for a smooth ride.

Wish me luck everyone..!

Jack NSM

Gwantommo

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 1, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
See you shortly Jack and you’ll be glad to know the bulldog has grown up and calmed down a bit 😁

Arnsider

New Wammer
Feb 10, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never availed myself of Jack’s services but as someone who has recently looked into courier services and costs for our precious equipment I can only applaud what he does.
As a neutral, I have followed the odd thread about his travels. What a brilliant idea and service …. Hats off to him and it seems his many satisfied users. 👍

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A very successful Wam Taxi!
Thanks to my 'customers' who all did their end of it really well, i.e., were in place at the right time to do the business. In fact the 2 days were rather charmed in that respect - a good example was when I showed up at SJS's in Bramhall, Manchester just as his good lady returned. Good timing!
Someone has said, wittily, organising Wammers is like 'herding cats' - not so re this taxi service.
I was very sad to hear from Bandit Pilot (to whom I was dropping off a Stands Unique rack) that we have lost a famous cat herder in the shape of Maverick. My condolences to friends and family...

Gwantommo managed to find some nice jazz records from the selection I brought with me going up on the Sunday, and we spent an enjoyable session with his excellent system playtesting them.

For a change there was some business transacted on MY behalf (smiley) when Richie took posession of my Tannoy Cheviots in part ex for a famous Radford STA25 at a service station on the M4, not far from his home in Wilts.

That took place towards the end of the second day, and then it was onwards along the motorway to JP's (Diceman) in Ash Vale- my last port of call.
I made JP's by around 6 00 pm, having started out from Sowerbey bridge at 8 30 in the morning. I was very glad of the pizza and chocolate cake, I can tell you!

I spent a relaxing hour or so with JP, keen to try out his newly refurbished Arcadia Pre, and right good did it sound..

Back in the car as night fell to complete the 730 mile round trip.

Jack NSM

Still in the car are Speedracer's loaned pre, Gurjinder's Nakamichi back from the repairer and Graham's Technics 1210 - arrangements will be made for those and I will undertake a separate trip to Reigate and South London for the latter pair.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online