Linn Owners

What Are The Biggest Challenges To Your Listening Room Setup?

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the absolute sweet-spot would be to move the piano, have the TV in the centre of that, with speakers either side, then spin the armchair round 180 degrees and move to the back wall (obviously I'd have to persuade the dog that it is no longer his armchair and find somewhere else for the piano (neither of which may go down well ;-))). I hadn't considered speakers either side of the piano. May work, but there's a radiator immediately to the left of the piano, and a dry line wall perpendicular to the right side so the RH speaker would be right in a corner.

I had thought about option two, but was concerned that the TV would then block access to opening the window. I may well give that a go though, thanks for the suggestions.
My pleasure. 
Well, my plan was not to move the TV. The left speaker to the left of the TV (if room enough) and the right speaker slightly closer towards the TV. Might work.

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good point. I'd always assumed that it was to avoid it being positioned too close to another speaker ( I do recall advice from 1980/90's HiFi magazines that for optimal sound only one set of speakers should be in the room). Maybe I'm mistaken and it was due to magnetism; I'd be intrigued to find out forum members' up-to-date views. 
There was probably something under a layer of dust in the back of my mind. From Linn docs: "The  AV 5140 is a high quality floorstanding speaker, which can be used in a wide variety of AV system positions:  Built-in magnetic screening allows the AV 5140 to be positioned as close as 50mm to a television set."

So, the purpose of the distance rule of your speakers was most likely to prevent that the speakers' strong magnets deflect the ray in a CRT, which would have compromised the image. Obviously, magnetic shielding is a good countermeasure. Now I recall, that cheap little computer speakers also sported magnetic shielding, as they are usually positioned close to the monitor.

Hope you find a good place for your speakers, without disturbing the Lady of the castle. If she loves music, and yourself, there must be some synergetic potential 😉

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My pleasure. 
Well, my plan was not to move the TV. The left speaker to the left of the TV (if room enough) and the right speaker slightly closer towards the TV. Might work.
My plan is to move the TV and speakers to the left, and through 90 degrees, so they are facing the piano, firing left-to-right as it were as per the photo. It's a big, blank wall with nothing but power sockets on it so I'll be doing the aesthetics a favour. Then all that needs to happen is either switch the positions of the sofa and armchair, or persuade the dog that the armchair isn't his. Plus the added benefit of freeing up the whole area of the window.

Then, with TV and speakers positioned centrally to the listening position I can start tweaking with distance from back wall, etc..

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My plan is to move the TV and speakers to the left, and through 90 degrees, so they are facing the piano, firing left-to-right as it were as per the photo. It's a big, blank wall with nothing but power sockets on it so I'll be doing the aesthetics a favour. Then all that needs to happen is either switch the positions of the sofa and armchair, or persuade the dog that the armchair isn't his. Plus the added benefit of freeing up the whole area of the window.

Then, with TV and speakers positioned centrally to the listening position I can start tweaking with distance from back wall, etc..
That seems like the best solution to me as well.  😊🙏

Please post photos, as you go through this process, so we can follow along.

I do believe your speakers will benefit from being pulled away from the wall a bit more, at least 20-30 cm

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I do believe your speakers will benefit from being pulled away from the wall a bit more, at least 20-30 cm
Thanks @Paulssurround. I've just checked, I thought they were equal set by eye; one was 6cm, one was 8cm. I've shifted them both to 20cm, which TBH is about as far as the current room layout will support. Keen to give that a listen. I think once I've switched things around I'll have a bit more latitude to experiment between 20-30cm. Despite the claim in the manual "due to the unusually high bass output, your Alya's may function best if placed away from corners" I've always found them a little bass-light TBH, although to be fair I don't find that a bad thing.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Other than the limited back well that the edges of the toed in speakers just align with, the best way to improve the sound is with acoustic panels, diffusers and bass traps. None of which will ever pass the WAF😳😢😂

c300 (1).png
Having been to your home, I know how good your system sounds.  😊👍🏻

‘However, you would probably benefit with a wider wall behind the speakers. Glad we have Space Optimisation.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don’t recall if you have any bass traps or room acoustic treatment?

😊
Kind of, but not really.  I think the second sofa is probably a big help and there's a material covered tall lamp to one side of the chimney breast which is a great absorber of reflected sound. There is a curtain between the speakers and another on the wall behind the listening position which also help - the sound definitely deteriorates when they're open to the window panes. But no purpose designed treatment.  That's part of the room's multi-purpose compromise, plus I really don't like the look of most of them.  Would I use them if I had a dedicated room? Possibly, but its not a given.

Reactions: Paulssurround

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Other than the limited back well that the edges of the toed in speakers just align with, the best way to improve the sound is with acoustic panels, diffusers and bass traps. None of which will ever pass the WAF😳😢😂

c300 (1).png
Very nice!

To pass the WAF I used large photographs printed on canvas in our room. Not quite as good as absorbers, though - which brings me to a business idea: The favourite photograph printed on an absorber should be the audiophile's ultima ratio. 😉

A photo of a street musician who's just tuning his guitar (in Barcelona) decorates our dining corner, in lieu of the forbidden bookshelf. It's 1,00 × 0,75 m canvas on a wooden frame. Between the speakers above electronics, and turntable is another photo 1,20 × 0,90 m, again canvas on wooden frame. It features three street musicians playing their guitars on the Praca do Commercio in Lisbon. These images both have a high WAF, and I get requests to find another one to be placed over the sofa. At present there are two drawings showing typical houses on the island of Bornholm. We bought them there during our first mutual holiday trip, directly from the artist. As they are under glass, replacing them by canvas might be acoustically beneficial. But then, they have some sentimental value.

• Upvote
Reactions: Eldarboy

Eldarboy

Classicist
Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON, Canada
AKA
Lewis Silvestri
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only missing an LP12 ;-)
As I said elsewhere recently: There a reason why I no longer have a nicely updated LP12: SNAP....CRACKLE...POP, and that annoying sound of the stylus running along the vinyl that is heard while listening with headphones

Eldarboy

Classicist
Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON, Canada
AKA
Lewis Silvestri
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a huge wall behind where we sit. Again, while I have a large collection of a friend’s paintings, and several of Kenny Wheeler with whom he became friends, that would all be great to improve the sound, none pass the WAF😢😳😂

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The biggest challenge to my listening room setup is my wife. She insists the sofa be placed close to the rear wall. Ideally, I’d move it nearer to the loudspeakers for optimum stereo separation. 

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Thanks to @Paulssurround, @TooManyCatweazles & @HansBertil I have been converted from a sceptic to a believer! Acting on their advice I moved the speakers apart, closer to the TV, which opened up the soundstage a little. I also move them forward - 20cm from the back wall - and tried one of my Cat A reference albums. The bass was enhanced to a level I'd not experienced with these speakers, the top end treble was fine, but I'd lost that mid-range melody that i love. A quick experiment shuffling the speakers out a couple for centimetres more (now 22cm from back wall) was a revelation; everything just snapped back into place! Thanks to these guys I'm now looking forward to further tweaking and moving the room around!

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to @Paulssurround, @TooManyCatweazles & @HansBertil I have been converted from a sceptic to a believer! Acting on their advice I moved the speakers apart, closer to the TV, which opened up the soundstage a little. I also move them forward - 20cm from the back wall - and tried one of my Cat A reference albums. The bass was enhanced to a level I'd not experienced with these speakers, the top end treble was fine, but I'd lost that mid-range melody that i love. A quick experiment shuffling the speakers out a couple for centimetres more (now 22cm from back wall) was a revelation; everything just snapped back into place! Thanks to these guys I'm now looking forward to further tweaking and moving the room around!
Great job!!!

You are on the way to better musical enjoyment 

Reactions: Andyt916

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The biggest challenge to my listening room setup is my wife. She insists the sofa be placed close to the rear wall. Ideally, I’d move it nearer to the loudspeakers for optimum stereo separation. 
Time to call upon your inner interior designer.

I’m sure she would love to have some nice big plants behind the sofa to give the room a more natural look and aesthetic. She gets to dress up the room and you get your sofa moved forward.          

Alternatively, if you do get your surround speakers, they need to go behind the couch.   😉

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members