What happened to the "Unofficial" Cyrus forum?

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
As per the title really... I was just looking for it in its old place here:

http://www.rdh.34sp.com/cyrusunofficial/index.php

but I just get a "404 not found" error message
sad.png

Lefty

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
I'm currently demming a What Hi Fi special (Cyrus 8vs2) which is slowly working its way under my skin. 3 words....

Lean, Clean, and Communicative

Lefty

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
It's certainly a very good amp (Despite WHF's praise for it :lmao:).

I have it on home dem at the moment along with a Densen B-110. It's an extremely close call at the moment. The Densen certainly has the "wow" factor but the Cyrus is just so damn musical.

It's almost as if the Densen pushes the midrange forward and as a consequence sounds very impressive. It's cut from the same sonic cloth as Naim but is much better IMO. The Cyrus is much less impressive on first listen and sounds relatively flat. To dismiss it on these grounds would be missing the point however. It really draws you into the music sowly but surely...

The one negative about the Cyrus is that it sounds better at quieter volumes whilst the Densen just begs to be turned up.

Time will tell the eventual winner... :green:

Lefty

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Lefty wrote:

The Cyrus is much less impressive on first listen and sounds relatively flat.
I have always found the opposite to be true. In fact when demming Cyrus for customers, they often plumped for the Cyrus because it was forward and grabbed their attention.

To later find out that over long periods it becomes wearing.

Defiant

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2006
Surrey
Sony6million wrote:

Lefty wrote:
The Cyrus is much less impressive on first listen and sounds relatively flat.
I have always found the opposite to be true. In fact when demming Cyrus for customers, they often plumped for the Cyrus because it was forward and grabbed their attention.

To later find out that over long periods it becomes wearing.
Going to find out myself soon - should be interesting
biggrin.png

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Interesting... I have certainly heard this criticism of Cyrus before.

From what I can hear, it could be the "leaness" in the sound that causes it to become wearing over extended listening. Perhaps this is what some people perceive as forward? To my ears the Cyrus isn't forward at all. In fact, I'd say sounds more even handed than most.

Having said that, it defnitely isn't for everyone. The perceived lack of body to the sound means that those seeking euphonic warmth need not apply. This isn't very high on my list of priorities however which is why I'm rather enjoying this little amp's sound.

However, as I said, the little Cyrus isn't without flaws. It's just that it's weeknesses are such that the musuc remains intact.

Lefty

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Hmm, I had a customer dem'ing Linn and Arcam integrateds yesterday, and when he wanted to try something different we brought out the Cyrus knowing it would be more instandtly impressive.

It isn't as forward as Naim, and I haven't heard the Densen, but I wouldn't say the Cyrus is flat.

Defiant

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2006
Surrey
Lefty wrote:

Defiant wrote:
Going to find out myself soon - should be interesting
biggrin.png
Excellent stuff... looking forward to hearing your impressions
smile.png

Lefty
Will do - mine is a little older than yours (well quite a lot, it's a 2) but is apparently one of their best ever amp's, so it will be an experience if nothing else
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
darrenmayne wrote:

It isn't as forward as Naim, and I haven't heard the Densen, but I wouldn't say the Cyrus is flat.
I guess it boils down to your reference (ie what you are used to). I'm an ex naimee and have since moved onto Densen.

They are both more forward in the midrange than the Cyrus and to me sound more immediately impressive. (I think this is one of the main reasons why a lot of people buy Naim after a short back to back dem against other equipment) That's not to say Naim or Densen are bad, far from it. The Densen is currently sounding sweeeeeeeeeet and it really is going to be a tough decision!

42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

The Cyrus is perhaps the better all rounder for me, but the Densen has more joi de vivre.

Lefty

B

Bry-Fi

Hey Lefty

Just wondering how the two amps you have now compared to your AVI Lab?

Cheers

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Bryfiero wrote:

Hey LeftyJust wondering how the two amps you have now compared to your AVI Lab?
Interesting question...

Of the two, I'd say the Densen is the most similar to the AVI. The AVI has a more muscular sound with more authority and a deeper bass although there's not much in it. By way of compensation, the Densen has a more refined and warmer midrange which really benfits voices. Whichever way you look at it, they are both very good amplifiers.

The Cyrus is a completely different kettle of fish. It sounds very different to the other two. It's a very clean and direct sort of sound with a lot of detail. The other two get the bigger picture right whilst the Cyrus gets the little details right. As a result, it's a very involving amplifer that draws you into the music and really lets you listen into the mix. Whether this is a good or bad thing boils down to the listener...

Me? I haven't made my mind up yet (I have till Tuesday!)

Lefty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online