Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi there

I've recently bought a Linn Majik-I, now I've currently got it set up on my B&W 603's. I'm starting to think this isn't needed like that, the B&W's were great on previous amplifiers, and greatplayed loud, however,as Imove on, volume isn't so important, sound at a reasonable level is what it is all about...

Can anyone suggest a better speaker? £250-300 budget (eBay links 2nd hand would be nice
tongue.png
)

I've heard Linn Kans in the past and was impressed, and thinking Linn and Linn would go together nicely? Or should I stretch to B&W CDM's? I'mopen to suggestions!!

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony6million wrote:

I don't think the Majik is that great. Have you considered swapping it for something else and keeping the speakers?
Not really, I upgraded to the Majik as I was pretty impressed with what I heard compared to previous amp's -A400, Cyrus 2, Inca Tech Claymore, it had something none of those others had...

I thought the weak link was then my CDP and my speakers, I thought a smaller speaker may suit the amp more and i'd get more sound out of it for the money?

What would be a better option? Bearing in mind the last Majik went on eBay for £510

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i know! lol usual price is 230-250 i think, still mine was cheaper than that by a fair bit!

Ive got a Philips CD850

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony6million wrote:

I don't think the Majik is that great. Have you considered swapping it for something else and keeping the speakers?
The Majik is a very cometent amp - I bought mine brand new a few years ago and it cost £650 - at the time I thought it was a good as any amp in that price range and especially good wiithin an all Linn system - where it is still used.

For speaker matching I would try and get hold of 2nd hand Tukans or Katans (both Linn speakers and better than Kans - both can be got for around the £150 to £250 mark depending on condition)if possible - nice as you could also try and find some active cards 2nd hand and go active with them.

I drove Keilidhs quite happily when I only had the Majik (I now have them tri-amped and active and still use the Majik).

As for £510 for a 2nd hand Majik - that is totally OTT - around £200 to £250 should get you one in very good nick, although before being discontinued there were around the £900 mark newI think.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
griffo104 wrote:

Sony6million wrote:
The Majik is a very cometent amp - I bought mine brand new a few years ago and it cost £650 - at the time I thought it was a good as any amp in that price range and especially good wiithin an all Linn system - where it is still used.

For speaker matching I would try and get hold of 2nd hand Tukans or Katans (both Linn speakers and better than Kans - both can be got for around the £150 to £250 mark depending on condition)if possible - nice as you could also try and find some active cards 2nd hand and go active with them.

I drove Keilidhs quite happily when I only had the Majik (I now have them tri-amped and active and still use the Majik).

As for £510 for a 2nd hand Majik - that is totally OTT - around £200 to £250 should get you one in very good nick, although before being discontinued there were around the £900 mark newI think.
Awesome! thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye out for some Linn speakers then.

I did laugh at £510 might have been an auction subjected to shill bidding I feel - mine is the £900 model, plus the extra for a phono card, i think £899 was the price for the 6 in line model...

Thanks again

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony6million wrote:

I have not heard it in an all-Linn system Griffo, however in a succession of about 6-7 amps it was the worst to my ears.
Tis down to personal taste - I have components like the Orbe via the Dino+ and a MD tuner going into it but I've only ever heard the Majik driving Linn speakers - which again people either seem to loveor hate
biggrin.png

The Majik is a very flexible amp, allowing you to go active or add the old Kudos sneaky slot for a decent tuner - if you can find one.

I remember about 7 years ago Hifi World reviewed the Wakonda/LK100 combo in a group test, with I thinkMonitor Audio speakers,and it came out the worst of the group - so you're not the only one with this opinion
biggrin.png

However, when the review came out several friends of mine laughed at me for having this worst system, they came over for a listen and changed their minds and certainly couldn't hear the criticisms aimed at the combo in the review (I have a Majik/LK100/LK140 combo).

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I shall keep it for due course

Im thinking of getting some dynaudios? theresa pair of audience 72's on hififorsale for 350? Is this a sensible upgrade from the B&W's?

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Memory a little hazy on 72s prices, think they are 1300 new, but 350 seems a very good price - assuming mint condition and the colour you want. I would think they are a little different to the B&Ws, and probably better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.