Where do I buy a stylus for my Shure M75EJ Type 2?

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Thanks but I've only got £75 really and having heard quite a few more expensive carts that claim to be great with my RB250 I'm not likely to risk it.

By the way I realise it's me, not you [emoji2]

If the desired stylus or cartridge is hard to source then the natural progression is to look at ones that are readily available, such as the AT.
What's the maximum budget? Not being nosey but if we have an idea we could better point you in the right direction.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Appreciate your help. For me it's a definite Jico or hang around eBay for a nos stylus i can afford.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks but I've only got £75 really and having heard quite a few more expensive carts that claim to be great with my RB250 I'm not likely to risk it.

By the way I realise it's me, not you
emoji2.png

Could you tell us what exactly you don't like about those cartridges you've heard? Are they too forward and detailed.... again, like the budget it will help in trying to narrow down the probables/possibilities.

For instances, have you heard any Goldring carts? Something like this:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/goldring-e2-phono-cartridge?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-I-Vktmf3gIVGuJ3Ch2T7AhbEAQYFiABEgLlWfD_BwE

http://www.analogueseduction.net/goldring-and-stylus-replacements/goldring-elektra-moving-magnet-cartridge.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy, I think you’ve inadvertently switched from the EJ that pealy wanted to the ED you used to use!  As you’ll recall the ED tracked up to 1.5 grams whereas the EJ was 1.5 upwards.  Otherwise I can’t remember whether they had different profiles, though I’m sure (oops!) they were both regular elliptical types.  

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Hi. Mostly it's about soundstage and clarity, especially up in the middle and highs. I like a really nice, clean sound which just seems to come across as all muddy in lots of carts. I mostly listen to vinyl through headphones (Stax electrostatics) which are very revealing. It's probably no coincidence that all my kit is old, Naim olive amps, Systemdek turntable etc..

Could you tell us what exactly you don't like about those cartridges you've heard? Are they too forward and detailed.... again, like the budget it will help in trying to narrow down the probables/possibilities.
For instances, have you heard any Goldring carts? Something like this:
 http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/goldring-e2-phono-cartridge?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-I-Vktmf3gIVGuJ3Ch2T7AhbEAQYFiABEgLlWfD_BwE
http://www.analogueseduction.net/goldring-and-stylus-replacements/goldring-elektra-moving-magnet-cartridge.html

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have some new old stock cartridges and stylus.. I'm sure there are a few m75 stylus ... pm if you are interested

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy, I think you’ve inadvertently switched from the EJ that pealy wanted to the ED you used to use!  As you’ll recall the ED tracked up to 1.5 grams whereas the EJ was 1.5 upwards.  Otherwise I can’t remember whether they had different profiles, though I’m sure (oops!) they were both regular elliptical types.  
You are not wrong .. however, the ED sounds better and it will go in his Rega Arm a treat .. 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are not wrong .. however, the ED sounds better and it will go in his Rega Arm a treat .. 
Yes I agree.

My first cartridge in about 1974 was a M75 ED on a Pioneer PL-12D!  I always thought the EJ sounded a bit crude by comparison.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree. My first cartridge in about 1974 was a M75 ED on a Pioneer PL-12D!  
In 1974 it was a great midrange cartridge.  However, a few years later on I have to say that just about every cartridge of a similar price I tried sounded better (e.g. ADC VLM, Ortofon VMS, Grado, Glanz, Audio Technica, Nagaoka, even the Pickering XV15).  I settled on an Ortofon VMS20E before a skirmish with Moving Coils (I still have my Fidelity Research FR1 Mk2) until discovering Deccas - since then it has been pretty much all Decca for me. 

Reactions: Nopiano

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
In 1974 it was a great midrange cartridge.  However, a few years later on I have to say that just about every cartridge of a similar price I tried sounded better (e.g. ADC VLM, Ortofon VMS, Grado, Glanz, Audio Technica, Nagaoka, even the Pickering XV15).  I settled on an Ortofon VMS20E before a skirmish with Moving Coils (I still have my Fidelity Research FR1 Mk2) until discovering Deccas - since then it has been pretty much all Decca for me. 
Love the idea of experimenting and I'm sure I'll get the time one day but I think the move to an ED stylus is about enough. If nothing else, that tracking weight can't be doing my vinyl much good can it?

stylesound

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
Kendal, Cumbria ,
AKA
Mike
I have a new old stock Shure N75EJ stylus (light green with Shure and EJ T2 in black letters).  The EJ is a biradial type  (0.4 x 0.7mm) with a recommended tracking force of 1.5 to 3gms.  The N75ED is also a biradial (0.2 x 0.7) with a tracking force of 0.75 to 1.5gms. 

Re playing weight I would be more wary of playing at 0.75gms than at 1.5 to 3gms.  Remember one of the most desirable cartridges, the Ortofon SPU Classic, has a recommended playing weight of 3-5gms and no it does not wear out the vinyl.

Asking £25.

If you decide you do prefer a 75ED I have a couple of good used examples complete with cartridge.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love the idea of experimenting and I'm sure I'll get the time one day but I think the move to an ED stylus is about enough. If nothing else, that tracking weight can't be doing my vinyl much good can it?

Tracking weight and wear are not purely a factor of tracking weight. 

A fine line of Shibita stylus having contact with a large area of the groove will created considerably less wear tracking at 2 to 2.5 grams than an eliptical tracking at 1.75 grams.   A well made stylus tracked at the manufacturers recommended upper weight is unlikely to cause damage (other than normal wear and tear) if set up correctly.

A badly polished diamond stylus or worn stylus which has become rough is a danger as it will cut out the groove if there are sharp edges (hence my fear of non manufacturer replacement stylus).

Far more damage is caused by mistracking (so it is advisable to always track at the manufacturers upper recommended limit which will be 1.75 grams for a 75ED) and to ensure bias is correctly set so as to not create wear on one side of the grooves.  Ideally you should use a test record such as HiFiSound to ensure the bias levels are set correctly ..

Reactions: pealy

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Thanks for the feedback on tracking weight, glad to get rid of that as a concern.

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
I always like a bit of closure so here's the end of this story.. I'm pleased that the helpful comments led me to think again and I have dragged myself into the 20th century and bought a cart which is actually still in production. Had to sell some treasures on eBay but I reckon it's worth it..

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I always like a bit of closure so here's the end of this story.. I'm pleased that the helpful comments led me to think again and I have dragged myself into the 20th century and bought a cart which is actually still in production. Had to sell some treasures on eBay but I reckon it's worth it..

Man, you can't leave us hanging like that... What did you get? How do you like it? etc.

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Haha! I found a 2M Blue I could afford. It's a Christmas present so will have to wait until then to find out how it sounds. Certainly capable of sounding good and I think a good match for the RB250.. look out for my next posts asking how to fit it without snapping the connecting wires like last time..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online