Which balanced cables

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've used van Damme star quad, also from design a cable - good cables and good service
one that I like but haven't tried so its only guess work is the silver XLR from Gothic (expensive option)

sgee

Wammer
Aug 21, 2020
Designacable, 2 x 4m Xlr starquad cables cost me £42 for my active ATC's. How can that price not be very good value?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think designacables prices are very good personally. I thought about making up my own cables but the saving simply wasn't worth the hassle.
When I was looking for VD rca cables Designacable seemed a lot more expensive for the same cables with Neutrik plugs but VD cables are a bit confusing with several difference cables with similar names. On eBay there are several makers, they are around £16-£18 for 1m pair, Mark Grant are about £20, Designacables were around £40 unless I have the wrong VD cable. I though about making cables up because the cables only cost about £1 pm.

Reactions: Miller-8

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I was looking for VD rca cables Designacable seemed a lot more expensive for the same cables with Neutrik plugs but VD cables are a bit confusing with several difference cables with similar names. On eBay there are several makers, they are around £16-£18 for 1m pair, Mark Grant are about £20, Designacables were around £40 unless I have the wrong VD cable. I though about making cables up because the cables only cost about £1 pm.

I've only ever looked at designacables XLR cable prices, which is all I've ever recommended them for and what this thread is about :).

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AES/EBU digital cables should only be used for a digital connection between to items that both have AES/EBU inputs and outputs . AES/EBU digital cables are designed and specified for digital signal transfer and use all three connectors they are 110 ohm (or should be) . In my view they are one of the best digital connections you can use with only fully specified 75 ohm BNC being better but sadly more difficult to find .

• Upvote
Reactions: TheFlash

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AES/EBU digital cables should only be used for a digital connection between to items that both have AES/EBU inputs and outputs . AES/EBU digital cables are designed and specified for digital signal transfer and use all three connectors they are 110 ohm (or should be) . In my view they are one of the best digital connections you can use with only fully specified 75 ohm BNC being better but sadly more difficult to find .
I²S?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I2S is a communication between chip sets internally and has to be taken direct from a Chip to an output socket. This has no current standard so often it can mini 5 pin din , HDMI or other outputs . Given that it was only designed for internal chip communication it not very robust and any connections need to be kept as short as possible . When implemented and used correctly it can sound very good but it was never meant as a digital signal transmission between items so it can have inherent problems .

Reactions: kernow

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too use the BlueJeansCable balanced. Good quality and I’m not feeling the urge to try anything else.

Their website has a nice write up about choosing balanced cables.
Nice to see your name , I was watching YouTube vids of zermatt last night to persuade my wife to go

chezi

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 8, 2012
Fun City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a pair of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372836206819?epid=1441345949&hash=item56cec508e3:g:jV4AAOSwSxpgabb4
Very well made and if your after that CRYO ;) silver type cables , they are pretty good and don't cost the earth. They come certified cryo treated btw.

I have a couple of pair I would sell if you want to try them , Van Damme pro-grade XKE silver plated with Neutrik plugs 60cm , and QED Qnex 4S Quad silver plated 60cm . £40 and £30 , respectively posted .

chz

chezi

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 8, 2012
Fun City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

CageyH

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there any benefit from using a “pure copper” conductor in the plug, compared to the plated brass connectors found in the Neutrik connectors?

I need to make up two sets of cables to fit my new preamp into my system. I will be using some OCC balanced cable I have in my cable box.

Last edited:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I run a fully balanced active 5 way horn system and I assert the following, based on experience:

1. Cables make a huge difference in general and balanced connections are no different in that respect;

2. Your average pro audio cables such as Van Damme, Klotz and Sommer are noticeably inferior in a system such as mine or even a lesser system.

3. (A separate but related point.) It pays to have a fully balanced system rather than partially balanced in order to reap the benefits of lower noise, though it may be the case that, in the case of vinyl playback, you could get away with RCA in, XLR out with the phono stage as the signal is said to be 'floating' from the cartridge.
4. Having said that, due to financial constraints given the system has 14 active electronic components, each requiring a mains cable, save the mains conditioner whose cable is captive, and interconnects, I can only go up one or two levels - Blue Heaven, Chord Chameleon, Chord Anthem 2, Cobra for I/Cs and for the speakers the least would be Van Damme Hifi, and the best Tellurium Q Black (early version). The Cobra is all set to be upgraded but that has to be 2m due to siting - so £200 used prices (!).

Jack NSM

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online