Which is better... Cyrus or MF X-Series?

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
Oh no, another boring post... NAIM vs MF like
biggrin.png

No, no. My point won't be in technical matters and figures... butjust on continuity of series.

Before buying my MF X-Series kits, which I love to bits, I also compared MF X-Series to the Cyrus range.

I went for the X-Series.

Today, I reckon Cyrus isa more serious company as far as the continuity and coherence of product ranges is concerned.

Why having v1 and v2 in oval shape and v3 in shoe-box shape? :Upset:

What about my FM/DAB X-Series v3 tuner?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
=> Critical gap in the range. Lack of continuity will be remembered by customers ofX-Series v3, at least me... :Upset:

CONCLUSION: X-Series includes nice components but does not have a large and lasting enough range to make it a good investment...

E

earl of sodbury

From now fading memory of auditions, I'd say that at the bottom of the food chain MF is better, but by the time you get into the full ensemble of monoblocks, add-on power supplies, etc., that there's very little in it, with the Cyrus a tad livelier and the MF a tad big'n'friendlier...

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've not heard the MF X-series kit, so I won't comment on the sound.

Rightly or wrongly, Cyrus has far, far better residual values. Maybe because WTF? routinely waxes lyrical over Cyrus boxes (even those which are not much cop IMO like all of the integrated amps) but won't even recognise the existence of MF.

Did AM upset someone at the publishers?

OTOH Cyrus has recently started price slashing of slow-selling or on-the-way-out components, so maybe residuals will go the way of MF.
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
gaul wrote:

Oh no, another boring post... NAIM vs MF like
biggrin.png
No, no. My point won't be in technical matters and figures... butjust on continuity of series.

Before buying my MF X-Series kits, which I love to bits, I also compared MF X-Series to the Cyrus range.

I went for the X-Series.

Today, I reckon Cyrus isa more serious company as far as the continuity and coherence of product ranges is concerned.

Why having v1 and v2 in oval shape and v3 in shoe-box shape? :Upset:

What about my FM/DAB X-Series v3 tuner?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
=> Critical gap in the range. Lack of continuity will be remembered by customers ofX-Series v3, at least me... :Upset:

CONCLUSION: X-Series includes nice components but does not have a large and lasting enough range to make it a good investment...
There is something about the Cyrus I just do not like, I have twice had the stuff on home demo and just could not live with ,I tried B&W (Nautilus) Spendor and Tannoy speakers with the kit

Could be I used the wrong cables :raoflmfao:

wow and flutter

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
Harrow, , United Kin
AKA
Mark
Davewhityetagain wrote:

There is something about the Cyrus I just do not like, I have twice had the stuff on home demo and just could not live with ,I tried B&W (Nautilus) Spendor and Tannoy speakers with the kit

Could be I used the wrong cables :raoflmfao:
Nope. You used the ON switch.
wink.png

W&F

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
Cyrus obviously. well actually i have never listened to MF so shouldn't really comment, but i do like my cyrus system and the fact that it's upgrade path is so logical is a real bonus.

BTW i think these topics are slightly pointless and somewhat unbenefitial cause people will always chose the brands they own (as i did). try harder next time:?

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
I would not have gone for the Cyrus as I was looking for a half-width range of components (both fit the bill) but also a good looking one in a lounge (here 1 choice only: MF
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
. Cyrus looks are :sick:IMHO)

But it is certain that Cyrus manages its range much more seriously and offer a proper upgrade path.

darrenmayne wrote:

I haven't really looked at the MF range, but Cyrus upgrade paths are clear and logical, as is their product range

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Gaul go and investiagte the Sony3000 ES"shoebox" range from a few years ago, compact stereo hifi from jap crap unlimited that puts MF/Cyrus into perspectivethe amp & CDP were £500 rrp.

Then ask if Cyrus or MF are "good" invetsments.

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
proper english stereo sounds good while jap crap sounds, well, crap.

not really only pulling your leg cjr, i'm sure for a lot of people jap cr...hifi is right up their street, but personally i don't think i could bring myself to own a pair of speakers made by sony for example.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Lee

I have heard a brace of Sugden Masterclass going into Proac 0.5s ribbon tweetered futures, quite simply as good as my ears get.Have you heard much jap crap ? ie real jap crap and not "non proper non english jap crap" ?

Do you honestly think that the centre of the hifi world revloves around english sic british hifi ?

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
audioboy wrote:

i am now utterly confused, cjr, do you like jap crap (whether proper jap crap or non proper non english jap crap) or not?
Again define "proper english stereo" I enjoy much "jap crap" be that Sony ES, Denon 1500, Pioneer & Toshiba DVD players (my main CD sources in both my systems). I dont have the foggiest what your idea of jap crap is, though an explanation of PES would be handy for me to guage the extent your opinion mentioned earlier.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
I have had virtually all of the MF X-series and the Cyrus 8VS and CD8x and I thought the MF sounded better over a longer listen. The Cyrus was nice and bright and really had me thinking about keeping it but over a couple of hours listening I got tired of listeining which didn't/doesn't happen with the MF to me.

As for continuity I hate to admit it :Xbut MF really do let the consumer down by changing shapes/incomplete range due to tuner and then periodically discontinuing the range only to resurrect it later on (I look forward to the V7 triangular ones:D). At least with Cyrus you can add on lots of bits to get some serious upgrades but the styling never agreed with me.

Sounds a tad harsh and I am a big MF fan but I went back to lozenges cos at least I can get the whole range and it is just as valuable if not more so than the V3 range.

Do like the Sugden though...

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
well cjr, when i think hifi i think british, american, french, italian etc hifi i don't think of jap hifi as someting i would purchase. maybe it's snobbery, maybe it's being close minded, but i just would not buy jap hifi. but to be honest i realise that generalising hifi in terms of what country it comes from is wrong, but sometimes you just can't argue with your instincts and my instincts tell me i would not be happy with a pair of sony speakers being fed by some toshiba dvd player and a technics amp. just isn't my cup of tea.

P

purplepleaser

cjr wrote:

LeeI have heard a brace of Sugden Masterclass going into Proac 0.5s ribbon tweetered futures, quite simply as good as my ears get.Have you heard much jap crap ? ie real jap crap and not "non proper non english jap crap" ?

Do you honestly think that the centre of the hifi world revloves around english sic british hifi ?
CJR:clout:

No i don't believe the "buy British it's thebest" .I was replying to Audioboy.

Why do you think that all hifi cables should be cheap andnasty

I do not want another argument with you.
hug.gif.6c8b62337c3c255c222bc063903420ae.gif

All i will say is that myBritish Hifi willout performmost systems on this forum.

That is why i have mentioned it in the threads.Just like yourecommend different things.

I have not listened to proper jap crap. I will if given the chance .

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.