I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After many years not mucking around with various bits and bobs and relying on Bakesoff's for that "alternative" HiFi fix I've finally got a new bit of kit to play with, courtesy of a generous friend. So what is this bit of new kit you ask, well its....

rega%20dac.jpg

Though I'm very happy with my CD player and CD players in general I've wanted a DAC for gaming on my PC and maybe the odd film and TV show rather than rely on the onboard sound of my PC though I'd like to test against a good PC sound card I cannot do this at the moment. Also I could wack it into the front room as well, when I get a modern Telly that is. Also I do have some curiosity about the possibilities of streaming and its costs compared to using a CD player. I've heard quite a few streaming systems over the past few years but never been convinced of their superiority over a stand alone CD player.

The DAC is connected through its Optical-S/Pdif connection at standard redbook CD 16bit/44.1khz. I'm playing a small assortment of Wav, Flac and lossy files at the moment so I'll get back to you with what a I think, soon.

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You won't be disappointed Dean.I borrowed one in the summer,and was very impressed.Just shows you don't need to spend a fortune to get great sound.

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
It's... a picture of a black box with red lights. What is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh after zooming in it looks like a dac made by rega..

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I finally decided to open this thread, prepared to read yak about some Naim. :yeah: But it's about Rega's DAC. :shock:

Good choice, Dean. :^ This DAC has the enduring ability to enthrall and satisfy. Enjoy!

SS

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very underrated DAC over SPDIF. I prefer my Rega to the Young I had previously. Less resolving perhaps, but more rounded and musical.

whizzkid

Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I finally decided to open this thread, prepared to read yak about some Naim. :yeah: But it's about Rega's DAC. :shock: Good choice, Dean. :^ This DAC has the enduring ability to enthrall and satisfy. Enjoy!

SS
Hey! I'm not that predictable, well until I upgrade the rest of my system. :D

- - - Updated - - -

It's... a picture of a black box with red lights. What is it?- - - Updated - - -

Oh after zooming in it looks like a dac made by rega..
You viewing this on a phone Mike? as the picture is massive with a big red REGA logo on it. A trip to specsavers is in order?

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey! I'm not that predictable, well until I upgrade the rest of my system. :D
:p

Well if you're headed into your woolly neon-badge dealer's sometime soon, please come back here with a scouting report for the new NAIT XS-2. Its on my wishlist.

Ta muchly! :)

SS

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Is the DAC the same as in the Apollo-R, my Evo has gone tits up, although replacement this side of Christmas is not part of the masterplan.

Cheers BB

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As long as it doesn't share any components at all with their god awful CD players it might be good.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the DAC the same as in the Apollo-R, my Evo has gone tits up, although replacement this side of Christmas is not part of the masterplan.Cheers BB
Possibly not. iirc the Tone site reviewed the Apollo-R and later connected it to the DAC for comparison. It concluded that the DAC gave the better sound.

cheerSS

whizzkid

Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the DAC the same as in the Apollo-R, my Evo has gone tits up, although replacement this side of Christmas is not part of the masterplan.Cheers BB
Possibly not. iirc the Tone site reviewed the Apollo-R and later connected it to the DAC for comparison. It concluded that the DAC gave the better sound.cheerSS
From Rega's site its states that the DAC's are in a similar configuration to the Isis CD player. Its uses a pair of Wolson WM8742 DAC's where the Apollo-R only uses one.

whizzkid

Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A second DAC has hit chez Whizzkid..

ImageGen.ashx

whizzkid

Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree, its half the size and weight as well.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oooh, the irDAC. :love: I'm thinking of having one too.

Please update us on how its sound compares with the Rega DAC. :)

SS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.