Linn Owners

Why can't I play my playlists on Klimax DS?

TMClinn

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello, my first post so here goes...

I have a Klimax DS with a bunch of playlists (some upto 2,500 tracks) I created on the Linn App.

They created fine and I can see the tracks in them, but when I click 'play' it firstly displays 'collecting tracks' and then displays 'n added tracks', but then nothing.

So has anyone experienced this before and found a fix/solution. Appreciate your insights.

Thanks, TMC

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello, my first post so here goes...

I have a Klimax DS with a bunch of playlists (some upto 2,500 tracks) I created on the Linn App.

They created fine and I can see the tracks in them, but when I click 'play' it firstly displays 'collecting tracks' and then displays 'n added tracks', but then nothing.

So has anyone experienced this before and found a fix/solution. Appreciate your insights.

Thanks, TMC
What is the source of the playlists? If a streaming service do you have an active subscription?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe there is a limit to the number of tracks in a DS Playlist. The default max is 1000. Not sure if this can be increased.

’troll

Reactions: Ray Vardy

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When you create a Linn playlist, it is stored in your Linn account in the form of a list of urls. If at any point those urls change then the playlist will no longer work.
So it would help to know from what source you created your lists. If a streaming service such as Qobuz, then even though the tracks can show up in the app, if your subscription doesn't cover the cost of streaming them it won't load them. Alternatively, if from a local server, the urls could change after a rebuild of the library. In this case you would be better off creating m3u playlists with something like Playlist Creator.

TMClinn

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe there is a limit to the number of tracks in a DS Playlist. The default max is 1000. Not sure if this can be increased.

’troll
Thanks vm. I’ve tried it with a playlist with just 200 tracks and it’s the same non playing result.

Reactions: Moomintroll

TMClinn

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When you create a Linn playlist, it is stored in your Linn account in the form of a list of urls. If at any point those urls change then the playlist will no longer work.
So it would help to know from what source you created your lists. If a streaming service such as Qobuz, then even though the tracks can show up in the app, if your subscription doesn't cover the cost of streaming them it won't load them. Alternatively, if from a local server, the urls could change after a rebuild of the library. In this case you would be better off creating m3u playlists with something like Playlist Creator.
Thx that’s a wealth of info there. I created them in the native Linn app from music files stored on my qnap NAS, so all in the Linn environment.

I’m keen to know more about the playlist creator you mentioned…?

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thx that’s a wealth of info there. I created them in the native Linn app from music files stored on my qnap NAS, so all in the Linn environment.

I’m keen to know more about the playlist creator you mentioned…?
All in the Linn environment - except the music files themselves 😉
There are a number of playlist creators but I use Odd Gravity Playlist Creator. Should be able to Google it or try this

https://playlist-creator.en.uptodown.com/windows/download

You save them as m3u files in a folder on your NAS, which you will have to include in your server's scan. It will then have a Playlists container that you access in the Linn app as you would any other files.

TMClinn

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All in the Linn environment - except the music files themselves 😉
There are a number of playlist creators but I use Odd Gravity Playlist Creator. Should be able to Google it or try this

https://playlist-creator.en.uptodown.com/windows/download

You save them as m3u files in a folder on your NAS, which you will have to include in your server's scan. It will then have a Playlists container that you access in the Linn app as you would any other files.
Sounds good, very helpful. So those m3u files remain valid even if there have been changes with the files on the NAS?

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds good, very helpful. So those m3u files remain valid even if there have been changes with the files on the NAS?
Yes, as long as you don't physically move the files, because the m3u files only contain file paths. The server generates urls when it scans them, so on a rescan/rebuild, they will be regenerated.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I created them in the native Linn app from music files stored on my qnap NAS,

Alternatively, if from a local server, the urls could change after a rebuild of the library.
This. If you’ve rescanned your database since creating the Playlists, it’s likely that the track URLs have changed.

’troll

TMClinn

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah this is windows, I’m an apple Mac user, do you recommend a Mac m3u equivalent?

TMClinn

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This. If you’ve rescanned your database since creating the Playlists, it’s likely that the track URLs have changed.

’troll
I have just found that the playlists I've created in Apple Music (eg. iTunes) can be exported in m3u format. So can I place that playlist m3u file in a folder on my NAS for the Linn to locate and play? OR do I have a format issue because those files are m4a format and I need to create the m3u with the native FLAC files on the NAS?

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just found that the playlists I've created in Apple Music (eg. iTunes) can be exported in m3u format. So can I place that playlist m3u file in a folder on my NAS for the Linn to locate and play? OR do I have a format issue because those files are m4a format and I need to create the m3u with the native FLAC files on the NAS?
If I understand you correctly - the playlist you’ve created in Apple Music will play the files from iTunes and not your NAS. Your .m3u list needs to point to the physical location of the music files. As you use a MAC, you could try VLC - https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html as that should allow you to create and save a playlist as .m3u

BTW - you’re still limited to 1000 tracks on the DS.

’troll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online