Wilmslow Audio speaker kits

MBDK72

Wammer
Jun 23, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Has anyone built any speaker kits from Wilmslow Audio recently? I quite like the look of the Vogue Classic. I have read somewhere that the cabinets are not braced well enough. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to make modifications to the design?

Cheers

Reactions: justinhd

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I contemplated a pair of the SM215 kits, main modification would have been a thicker front baffle and no crossovers.

Crossovers would have been replaced with active or Crown XTi amps.

Had a moment of insight into my work load and a VAT rise was impending so went for ready made.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I had two of my own designs worked out by Wilmslow in 2005, one was built by them, I wasn’t happy with the sound of either..when measured buy someone else they were all over the place had to have crossovers for both re made.

The cabs were primitive. I can’t comment on their own designs, hopefully they are ‘tried and tested’

I’ve always been very interested to know of other peoples thoughts, also any measurements?

Tazzo

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the "Rondo" speakers from WA which are no linger available on their site. Yes they have no bracing (The Rondos)/ You can request additional bracing as I did with my two subs, they should be able to modify them for you without a problem.

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Has anyone built any speaker kits from Wilmslow Audio recently? I quite like the look of the Vogue Classic. I have read somewhere that the cabinets are not braced well enough. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to make modifications to the design?

Cheers
You should feel their kits -they are solid - much, much better than commercial offering

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had two of my own designs worked out by Wilmslow in 2005, one was built by them, I wasn’t happy with the sound of either..when measured buy someone else they were all over the place had to have crossovers for both re made.

The cabs were primitive. I can’t comment on their own designs, hopefully they are ‘tried and tested’

I’ve always been very interested to know of other peoples thoughts, also any measurements?
only experience Ive got on their own passive designs was the original K100 with atc drivers and it was as good as the atc
Ive listened to another more new design and I never liked the sound very much and it had high end drivers installed.

I may be wrong but the company was sold to others and maybe they not as skilled - but id recommend a listening session as they have loads available - you can bring in your own amps

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I was told by a reliable source that originally owned by someone very skilled, then someone else took over. I told them the top end was ear splitting, my wife said she couldn’t listen to them.

So they said bring them down. When I got there he said. “They sound ok to me….get a valve amp” took them to someone who knows his stuff who told me the tweeter was nearly 7db higher and the crossover itself was completely wrong otherwise. They cost me a lot of money on both sets I had!

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think mine are the Vogue but older and use Scan-speak 9300 tweeter and the Kevlar 18w/8546-01 with crossovers using Hovland caps as an upgrade.
I bought them used from a chap who had tried various different crosovers including ProAc Response 2.5 clone X-overs - his commenst were that the standard X-over had for more life & fun and the ProAc sounded dull in comparison but maybe a little more accurate!

These woudl have been designed/supplied under the old ownership of Wilmslow Audio.

They're good and far better than any £300 used speaker has any right to be but I wouldn't have paid £1200+ for them new - I'd have purchased some used ProAcs that would retain some value. Saying that I'd rate my pair as sounding far better than ProAc response 2.5s to my ears and they do use better tweeter and crossover components so that's hardly a suprise.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently purchased some WA-LS3's from Wilmslow (built and finished by them). They are fabulous sounding speakers, top quality cabinets (as well finished as a factory built effort in my view) and incredible value in my opinion. But they are a tried and tested design that they have been producing for years.

Wilmslow have lots of top drivers at their disposal and their mantra appears to be that the quality of the speakers they sell is directly proportional to the drivers they are using, which of course isn't always the case.

They do have a demo room nowadays with a few examples of what they produce, so my advice is to listen first before buying as I believe there is significant variability in their designs. The ones that work, will be great value, but there are potentially some flawed designs they are doing, so be careful.

Reactions: MBDK72

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add to the above though, what I can say about Wilmslow is that they are a decent company to work with. Very relaxed and friendly approach and were quick to sort out a minor issue with my speakers (which was largely my own fault I might add!).

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
How do they apparently get some kits right but not others?

It seems custom builds are a problem, but people sing highly of the designs on their site. If they have problems with calculating ‘new’ speakers, is it that they employ someone else to work out the designs they sell, or with the likes of the ls3, have they just duplicated what’s already out there?

MBDK72

Wammer
Jun 23, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think mine are the Vogue but older and use Scan-speak 9300 tweeter and the Kevlar 18w/8546-01 with crossovers using Hovland caps as an upgrade.
I bought them used from a chap who had tried various different crosovers including ProAc Response 2.5 clone X-overs - his commenst were that the standard X-over had for more life & fun and the ProAc sounded dull in comparison but maybe a little more accurate!

These woudl have been designed/supplied under the old ownership of Wilmslow Audio.

They're good and far better than any £300 used speaker has any right to be but I wouldn't have paid £1200+ for them new - I'd have purchased some used ProAcs that would retain some value. Saying that I'd rate my pair as sounding far better than ProAc response 2.5s to my ears and they do use better tweeter and crossover components so that's hardly a suprise.
Hi Diceman

That's what I find most appealing about DIY. You know exactly what the ingredients are! I am looking at the Vogue Classic currently listed for £1164 if the flat pack kit with cabinet is selected. I have built a pair of IPL M1TLm transmission line speakers using the magnesium cones and fountek ribbon tweeters. I had to change the value of the inductors feeding the tweeters to get it to sound good. I wonder how the Vogue two way ported design would compare? The cost difference between the main drivers of the IPL and Wilmslow Vogue speakers is quite significant!

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How do they apparently get some kits right but not others?

It seems custom builds are a problem, but people sing highly of the designs on their site. If they have problems with calculating ‘new’ speakers, is it that they employ someone else to work out the designs they sell, or with the likes of the ls3, have they just duplicated what’s already out there?
they are very good with the cabinets though - and also re-doing your old crossovers to higher grade parts etc

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Questions for them really.

They do sell some established designs from other manufacturers (e.g. the Visaton kits), but not sure about their own designs.

Like you say though, some are very well thought of, but not sure if these were are ground-up designs done by them or copied from others. Until ATC took everything in-house, they were certainly doing some ATC-based designs using the same drivers and marketing them as comparable, so there is perhaps some mainstream design cloning going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online