Other WITHDRAWN: Monitor Audio 14 - Series 1

Other

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Continuing the sell-off of "my first hi-fi" :D I have decided that it's time to also part ways with my beloved Monitor Audio 14s. Purchased new by me back in 1994 I think, from Hampshire Audio in Chandler's Ford. I barely get time to listen to my main system nowadays so I can't justify having a second system set up.

These are the series 1 version of these speakers, so have the original metal dome tweeter rather than the gold one used in the series 2. There was a recent thread on here where another Wammer discussed the 11s he has recently acquired, and these 14s are basically a floorstanding version of those 11s if I recall correctly.

Far from being harsh and over-bright, if anything these speakers are on the more relaxed side. Partnered with my Pioneer A400 I found them pretty easy listening. Still in full working order, I can't see any damage to the drive units and they play fine.

The binding posts have seen better days to be honest. Where they have been exposed to direct sunlight in the past, they have become brittle and started to crack. Won't be a problem if you use bananas on the cables of course but if you're using spades or bare wires, bear that in mind, they could probably do with replacing.

At the bottom of each enclosure is a small removable panel. It gives access to the hollow bottom part of the cabinet, so you can fill it with something suitable to add weight for stability. I did that years ago, using ordinary sand inside a plastic membrane, so this pair have some decent heft about them. Did it alter the sound? No idea! But at least they are less prone to being knocked over.

Both speakers have the same label on the back with what I assume is the serial number, so I guess they were sold as a matched pair with the same S/N, I can't really remember to be honest.

Cosmetically, well, they're OK, but not perfect by any means. There are a few small knocks and scuffs here and there, nothing major but they aren't pristine by any stretch. The grilles are in good condition, the fabric isn't torn or stretched and all the retaining lugs are present and correct.

Not sure if I have any spare spikes for the base, I think the originals disappeared years ago. If I find them I'll stick them in but for the moment, assume not.

Going to ask £60, give the weight and size collection from Southampton is probably best but Wam taxi or local-ish delivery by me is organisable too.

1677076588211.jpeg
1677076601519.jpeg
1677076611090.jpeg
1677076624650.jpeg
1677076635890.jpeg
1677076644512.jpeg
1677076661424.jpeg
1677076672532.jpeg
1677076683619.jpeg

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not bad speakers at all these, have owned two pairs over the years and for the budget they are about as good as you can get. Being a bit laid back have none of the usual metal dome brightness issues and are forgiving of upstream kit, therefore an excellent choice for a budget system. (I had a Nad C350 and Sony CDP at the time which was more than enough, I suspect the Pioneer A400 and PD-S802 you can pick up with these would actually be a better match.)

• Thanks
Reactions: Jules_S

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Time for a quick bump, I think. Not much love for these grand old girls? They're easy to listen to but catch your attention at the same time. Partner well with my Pioneer amp that's for sale separately. Happy to deal on both, drop me a PM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online