Your Favorite Headphone amp and Why ?

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
What's Your Favorite Headphone amp and Why ?

ta in advance
smile.png

A

Alex A

Do you not have a choice to offer Dave?

My X-A2 seems to work pretty well
ohmy.png
Other than that I'm still considering options myself - may go for a pre with a good headphone circuit if i can next.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
If Solid State it would have to be the Graham Slee Solo. As an ex owner you'd know why Dave.
wink.png

The winner overall for me would be the Stax valve energiser/Earspeaker combo. It has bags more clarity and openess that the slee, although it does sacrafice a little bass extension.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Alex_A wrote:

Do you not have a choice to offer Dave?My X-A2 seems to work pretty well
ohmy.png
Other than that I'm still considering options myself - may go for a pre with a good headphone circuit if i can next.
Solid its Graham Slee but seen more valve ones around these days, like valve amps but never bothered much with valve headphone amps

The Graham Slee amp is well built and good value for money

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Stax is fantastic, for conventional headphones the Sugden Headmaster is pretty dammned good...
smile.png

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
ANT Amber for me. By far the longest surviving headphone amp I've had. Looks DIY, but has a really punchy, detailed and lively sound and really seems to add "space" to your headphone listening. It is designed by Alex Nitikin formerly of Creek Audio, so I imagine it has much of the Creek house sound...

I have not felt the need for anything better.

But they dont get made any more. Pity really. Nowadays I'd be looking at the Heed Audio stuff.

An honourable mentioned should go to the Headsave Classic which is the best cheap headphone amp I've heard by some margin.

early

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I'm really pleased with my earmax ( thanks Madders ) , I've not owned

many headphone amps so I can't say how it competes with others , but now headphone listening is a pleasure .

doctorjuggles

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of the amps I've heard or own, I'd say the Ray Samuels "The Raptor" and the maxxed out balanced Singlepower Supra are the two best.

Other honourable mentions go to the A.N.T. Amber and the Meier Audio Corda HA-2 MkII SE.

major-tom

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2007
cheshire
AKA
Chas.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
World Designs HD 83. Superb, sweet sounding Andy Grove valve design. The output transformer secondaries can be wired to best match the impedance of your headphones. If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's brilliant value too.

felix

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Baff
AKA
Martin
I've had, and loved Stax. It's about the best I've heard, in 15years of serious headphone geekery (A dem of the Senn Orpheus left me cold...)

That said - because I no longer use cans much - about the best commercial amp I've heard (or bought) is the old McCormack Micro Integrated Drive.It's basically a small power amp, good for 2-3W into 8ohms. It also takes hold of Sennheiser cans firmly and gets rid of their one downside - the bloaty, lazy bottom end.

The only other thing that got this good for dynamic headphones was a modified Quad 405/2 (!)

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't run a dedicated headphone amp in y system, but have found the NAD C320BEE's built-in amp sounds damn good to my ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online